All reviews playa linda fresh fruit isla ixtapa beach vacation ixtapa area quesadilla activities jalapenos hola activity
Reviewed 25 May 2017

We stayed at Qualton Club (2 couples) in March of 2017 and had a great time. As frequent travelers to Mexico, we usually stay at All Inclusives but were a little worried after reading some of the reviews on this place. We went with an open mind and had a terrific week. The rooms could use some updating but we feel that we got had an authentic experience in Mexico and a great value overall. The staff was all great but Cindy and Christopher really stood out to me. Very little English but they were all eager to help. I practiced my Spanish while they practiced their English! Big shout outs to the entire staff that made this a great week.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are great... especially at sunset!!!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
VenturaRodriguez, Director Comercial at Qualton Club Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Good morning !!

Thank you very much for your comments. We share with our staff, those are always a grat incentive.

A warm greating.

Reviewed 23 March 2017

My husband and I stayed at Qualton as part of a 15 member mission team 3/11 thru 3/18 2017. The team has been to the area for 10+ years and we’ve been part of the group for about 5 years. The team has always stayed in Ixtapa main tourist zone at Fontan, Dorado, Krystal and Emporio in most recent years.

The leaders chose Qualton this year as the pricing was better and it included food. With a group that large, our experience has been it takes a LONG time to get through any meal at the wonderful places in Ixtapa. We have work to do, so 2 hour breakfasts aren’t an option, and 2 hour dinners about put us under after a long, hot day of work. So that is a bit of our background.

First impressions – we loved the staff. Fabiola, and the bell boy with name like Jermaine (? Sorry I can’t recall for sure) or something similar set the bar high. We all agreed this was the most friendly and hospitable staff we’ve encountered on all previous trips. Next, we came to realize the spread-out nature of the property. The gardens are quite nice throughout the place and the naming of the building blocks by flowers was unique. It was nice to not have all rooms in a high-rise or have to worry about elevators. (That is a note, several buildings have 2 floors, so if you need ground floor, I recommend calling/emailing hotel ahead of time to request.)

My husband said the place grew on him, he was originally concerned when he first saw the room, but by the end of the week he was more pleased than he expected.

FACILITIES / ROOMS
We were assigned room 5202 in the Gladiola building – it had 2 beds and was on 2nd floor. Our room was definitely old and tired. But it was clean. And, our room had hot water unlike others in our team who struggled to have hot water during their week. (I am not sure if any of them requested maintenance to come fix it, though). The air conditioning seemed to work well, but we did have a few issues with it (see below). The faucets were old, there was no drain cover in the sink, the shower was plenty large enough, but had hard water stains and of course the expected mildew here and there due to the climate. There were chipped tiles in the floor throughout the bathroom. In the bathroom, there was a window with frosted glass that could be opened for air flow, but was directly in the shower. It was still private enough, others didn’t feel as private.

The beds were VERY hard, and the A/C blows out across the one bed directly to the other. My first night I slept horribly, so I switched to the other bed and it was better without the air blowing directly to my face. We were always cool at night – so that was fantastic. The pillows were less than desirable.

Regarding the A/C unit, we usually left a note for the maid to NOT change the setting. We had been keeping it on 19. Well, on at least 2 days we came back to a stifling hot room. The unit had shut itself off we believe, although at first I admit calling front desk a bit frustrated and asking them to advise maid not to touch it. So the last several days we put on 21-22 and didn’t have the problem again.

The great thing about our building was there was only 6 units in it. The rooms must all be double bed rooms and had a bit of space to spread out. We didn’t really use the balcony – it isn’t private, but opens up to allow views across buildings to the ocean and isla Ixtapa. Some of the other buildings had 10-15 rooms to walk past, and so the traffic in those areas was more concentrated, ours not as much. I’d request the same building if I returned.

They had told us we could change rooms to be closer to others on our team in the 1000 block/Garisol building, and we thought about it, but the lesser traffic kept us there in the original room.

As far as response – the team is great. We needed to request a couple extra towels – no problem, they arrived promptly within 15 mins of calling, maybe even less. Granted I did ask for them in Spanish, which helps TONS on this property. We also had to call maintenance about the toilet. Once the tank was leaking, they fixed, but didn’t wipe up the floor after fixing, which caused a bit of confusion for us as we returned late in the day and saw the water and thought it was still broken. Anyway, we worked through that fine and they also had to come unclog the toilet 2 times during our stay – but again, very responsive! We loved the hospitable nature of the staff.

What did I miss in the room? A fridge. It would have been nice to keep our bottles of water cold.
Also, the safe is not a full laptop size. Ours had a shelf and we could not have fit a laptop. Only e-readers/ipad sized items could fit. As a note, a different person on the trip said their safe did not have a shelf so they barely crammed their laptop into the safe. It is also mounted just inches off the floor on the back wall of the closet. I have no idea why they mounted it so low to the floor.

MAID SERVICE – usually excellent. While the bedding was definitely old and tired, it smelled clean.
One day we must have had someone different as they didn’t leave the allotted 2 bottles of water in the bathroom for brushing teeth. We called, and they brought up some new ones, though they did try to tell us they only start you off with 2 on the first day, the rest you buy yourself. But our experience had been each day they replaced the 2 bottles at no cost.
They tidied up by putting our shoes in the nightstand cubby and had some great towel art if you are into that kind of thing. We left a note requesting no fresh flowers though as they tend to bring those little bugs in.

Not sure of cleaning time most days, but I believe it was early, probably prior to 11am, based on our free day and returning from breakfast in town around 10:30 and it was already cleaned.

TIMING
SO – we learned that if you want to shower between 6:45 – 8:00 you can expect little to barely any water pressure and issues with no hot water. So, while our team often returned from long hot work days during this time and normally would want to clean up for dinner, several of us just decided to wait, and went on to eat at the buffet around 7pm to eat while most others were showering. By 830-900 the showers were normal again, but the dining was quite full and busy.

FOOD –
Dining for breakfast is up at Villanlinda on the hill. Lunch is either Jalapenos snack bar by pool/beach or buffet at Villalinda. Dinner is either buffet at the Villalinda or else on certain days the buffet is set up in the open area near the theatre. It is too bad they don’t utilize the disco area for more dining – there was nice air flow/breeze there one day when they set up Jalapeno’s temporarily as the normal place had the floor torn up.

Note – at Villalinda they have some very cheesy music playing, it seemed like only 1 CD on a loop. It got very old by the 3rd day. Just a thing that we all laugh about now – nothing to ruin your stay!

The good – they had an omelet/egg station lady each morning at breakfast. Eggs your way each day if you like. And fresh cheese quesadillas. We expected all items to be buffet, but were delighted to see fresh eggs cooked to order options. Many regional options on the buffet, tons of fresh fruit and cereal, breads, hotcakes/French toast all the normal stuff. Breakfast was my favorite and I always walked away stuffed. They have hot water for hot tea/instant decaf coffee.

Possibly troublesome – on several days, the milk wasn’t very cold. The meat/cheese trays looked watery like they’d been set out, then stored in fridge, and set out again. A lot of the desserts were a bit watery, but many on our team still found plenty to enjoy. I usually eat salad every day, and was just a bit concerned about the cleanliness/type of water used in food prep. One night I tried a fresh lettuce salad, but worried about it. No issues though.

Not so good – many of the items served at the buffets were not hot. They were lukewarm at best, especially when the buffet was set up outside. They did have a few stations set up for things like fresh tostadas, or street tacos where they were cooking food to order, but the lines were ridiculously long, or people would take all 5-6 items in the tray before the cook could set down more. Each night is a theme night – we preferred the Italian and regional nights the best. Although the roasted pork on Caribbean night was quite good as well.

Also, our group usually showed up for breakfast right around 7am when they opened, but many times not all items were set up. This is a little thing, but they should start the process earlier so all things are presented on time. Bread for toast wasn’t laid out even as late as 730 one morning, a few missing serving spoons in the syrup, etc. Again, not super critical – just ask and they will go get it – but for a restaurant they need to have it ready to go upon opening.

The gross – French fries at the buffet they set up in the Hola Ola disco area Friday at lunch – they were barely cooked, rubbery, droopy and in-edible. Burgers were good but very greasy. They had decent taquitos and pre-made grilled ham/cheese sandwiches that if you got a hot one weren’t too bad. (All other days we were off property during lunch and didn’t partake)
One morning I asked for water no ice – it had a horrible taste. I was worried for a while I would get sick, but luckily no issues. Still, I tried to drink more from my own bottles after that point.

I was able to get a good coke at most places except the quick beach bar place by the towels out by the beach – they served from 2 liter bottles that were flat. I’m sure if I asked them to open fresh, they would have. The other places like La Fiesta bar by the Jalapeno snack bar and the Villalinda restaurant all used from a fountain. No one in our missions team had any alcohol so we can’t report on that.

BEACH/POOL –
We only had one free day and I spent about 3 hours Friday hanging on property by the beach hut/palapa area. There were 2 palapas available at around 10:30 or so that day. The pool areas were louder, even the adult pool, due to the activity music. The beach is more like a mud beach as there is dark sand and dirt mixed in. It is still soft and quite pretty though with the gold flecks in it. I prefer the Ixtapa beach for sand, but this area near Playa Linda is better as the water is much calmer.

BOTTOM LINE
This place served the purpose for our missions team. Safe place, mostly clean rooms and most had sufficient hot water for a shower. If you are looking for a decent BUDGET beach vacation, it is worth considering even if you didn’t eat all meals on property. I don’t think you can buy European plan at Qualton – it is all included. It takes a good 8-10 mins to get back into the main Ixtapa area. Taxis run around 70 pesos, which isn’t bad, but still, the main Ixtapa area is so much closer for dining options.
So, if I was coming on my own for vacation only, I’d probably rather pick Emporio for lower cost, or one of the other hotels in the main Ixtapa zone for a higher end vacation.

Room Tip: The Gladiola building was nice/quieter area of property
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank KKJACKS
Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

kayaking was awesome one of the best activities in the hotel good was good except the late snak they need to put more stuff room was nice and the view wi have was nice I'll Wil be back as soon as I can

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

God afternoon.

Thank you very much for your comments.

We always share with our staff, an take note of all we need to improve.

Have a great day !!

Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

Had 2 days to kill, before we had to go back to CanadaHad been in Zihua, for 2 months, just needed a quick change of scenery. Booked on line, at the end of Ixtapa. Glad we did. Old property, but no more than 2 storey bungalow type, rooms. We were about the only whiteys there, but everyone was great. The staff, the grounds, everything is clean and everyone very accommodating. The snack bars, and main restaurant, were very good. Big all purpose pool, and a swim up, bar, adult only! Awesome! Right on the beach. Would return in a minute!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DaveFairview
Reviewed 11 March 2016

My wife and I had an awesome week at this place. Granted, mostly locals and not much English spoken, but the staff tried hard to help with anything you requested and you could always find a few workers and staff who spoke enough English to help with any communication issues. We know a little Spanish and got much better at it during our stay as everyone was willing to help us.
The hotel is in a perfect location. The beach was amazing!! A kind of charcoal color with gold dust in it ..... and it was sooooo clean. I've been to lots of beaches, but this beach was beautiful ..... and you could walk for miles to the north!!! We were also located right across from Ixtapa island and you could kayak or take a quick boat ride there easily. On the island there was eating places and a nice place for snorkeling. We thought the food at the Qualton was excellent. Of course it is Mexican food for the most part, but we enjoyed trying all the different choices and always found plenty to our liking. There was also a neat fishing pier located about 300 meters from the Qualton beach. I loved watching the fisherman daily trying to make their catches and feeding all the pelicans. At the base of the pier was Playa Linda where they had a little market was nice to go thru. They also had a little wildlife refuge right there with crocodiles and pink birds with big, flat bills that were neat to watch.
You could hop on a bus not far from the Qualton entrance and get into either Ixtapa or Zihuatenejo easily. It was a great trip, especially for the price and we will definitely try to return!!!

Room Tip: We had an oceanview room (7202) and I thought this room was in the best location on the entire property!
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jose6711
VenturaRodriguez, Director Comercial at Qualton Club Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2016

Good morning !!

Thank you very much for your comments.

We will share it with our team.

Is nice to know that there is still people that enjoy de beautifull nature gifts :-)

We really hope to see you next year in Qualto Club Ixtapa.

Have a wonderfull day !!