Caroe Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast
US$143
US$146
US$139
Priceline
Widemouth Manor(Widemouth Bay)(Great Value!)
US$126
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
US$154
  • Pool
Beach House B&B(Widemouth Bay)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$146
All reviewsblueberry pancakesother guestsfree standing bathtea and cakequiet areapeaceful surroundingsguests sitwarm welcomebeautiful houseon arrivalbeautiful kitchenonly stayed one nightperfect place to relaxlovely ownersbirthday weekendb and ba real pleasure
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed at the Caroe farmhouse Bed and Breakfast for one week. Beautiful location,Cynthia and Brian fabulous hosts. Amazing breakfast pancakes are to die for and nothing was to much trouble all are needs were met. Fantastic double bedroom beautiful decor. This amazing gem in north Cornwall deserves a 10/10.
Thank you Cynthia and Brian for a memorial stay in your fabulous Boutique B and B. The wow factor.
We both met some lovely people that also stayed here. Home from home. Steve and Karen Forest of Dean Gloucestershire.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Excellent accommodation tucked away in a very peaceful position in Otterham. The rooms are very comfortable and furnished to a very high standard. The breakfasts are amazing, varied and plentiful with no chance of feeling hungry for the rest of the day. The blueberry pancakes were a real treat. Cynthia and Brian are wonderful hosts and do their utmost to make your stay at Caroe a most enjoyable experience. Would highly recommend.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 30 September 2017

Lovely place, confortable bedroom, clean bathroom, huge and delicious breakfast, adorable guests.
Easy to find B&B, marvellous region with great sea views, beautiful castles and manors to visit, many restaurants

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

There is very little I can add to all the other five star reviews. What is remarkable is that this is Cynthia and Brian's first time running a b and b and they have got it so right.
Sadly we only stayed one night in the beautiful, large, tastefully furnished Lyonesse room but it will most certainly not be our last visit. We have never received such a warm welcome (and lovely tea and cake) and after a great nights sleep in the wonderfully comfortable bed we enjoyed a delicious breakfast including Cynthia's legendary pancakes.
Caroe farmhouse is in a great position, peaceful yet convenient and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

Based upon the amazing trip advisor reviews, in June I telephoned to book accommodation for my husband, our two friends and myself. We had planned a walking holiday in September and Caroe seemed to offer luxurious accommodation in a good location. I had a lovely telephone conversation with Cynthia who was at the time celebrating her son's wedding and not at home. She told me that she didn't have access to their booking system but would confirm by phone the next day that there was an availability for two rooms for the required dates on her return to Cornwall.
A phone call a couple of days later confirmed that we were booked in and all four of us were looking forward to our stay.
I was told that I would receive an email confirming the booking a week or so before. When I hadn't heard anything, I emailed to confirm our arrival and received a call from Cynthia saying that she had only got us down as having booked one room not two. I have to admit to being a little surprised as I had made a note of the rooms Cynthia had earmarked for us at the time of our initial contact but was assured that somehow, they would be able to fit us in. Perhaps that's where things went wrong for our party?
We were due to arrive on the Sunday and the plan was to do a coastal walk before heading to Caroe. Needless to say, the weather did what Cornish weather does in summer and by the time we were ready to arrive at the B&B we were all wet, tired and after having walked in rain for over 6 hours, in need of a shower and change of clothes not to mention a wee!
I sent a text message to let them know of our imminent arrival as a matter of courtesy, so were a little downhearted when at our arrival, we seemed to have caught them unawares. So much so that we had to wait standing in the kitchen wet, tired and even more in need of a wee until we could be shown to our rooms. I have to say that Cynthia was very charming and we were given tea and cake and invited to sit at the table for a chat. Had we had our shower and changed our clothes, this would have been lovely. However, as I say, we were all very tired and somewhat frustrated at not being shown where we were sleeping.
Eventually our host took us to what we thought were our rooms. I have to say the room was lovely and I was about to use the bathroom when there was a knock at the door and we were told we had to change room as we had been given the wrong rooms. Our travel companions had already unpacked and R was in the shower so had to swap rooms in his towel and not much else.
In the mean time, my husband told me that he had been told off by the host for dry mud on the stairs left supposedly by our party. Although we had been walking, we had all changed our walking boots before our arrival; mud could have come from any of the guests as another couple had arrived at the same time as us. Our friend was followed up the stairs by the host wielding a vacuum cleaner.
By this time I was beginning to feel a bit bemused and very, very unwelcome. I have never stayed anywhere where I have felt so uncomfortable and aware of making mess and fearful of being told off. We all agreed that the prospect of staying here any longer than we had to was out of the question and as a consequence decided to check out the following morning.
The next day after breakfast we told the hosts that we would not be staying on and it struck me as interesting that neither host expressed surprise at our announcement. Clearly we would not be missed.
So nearly a month on I am still puzzling over what we did wrong, why our experience of Caroe was so very different to other guests. Yes we might have left a speck of dry mud on the carpet, but surely with walking being such a common activity in Cornwall, we cannot have been the only walkers they have had stay?
Surely we couldn't have been the only guests to have wanted to get to their rooms as soon as they arrive?
Surely we can't be the only people who have ever been tired and more in need of the bathroom than a chat?
Perhaps it might help expedite settling into the room if there was an information sheet for the room rather than having the host describe the room's features. That way guests can avail themselves of the information when they need to and are less tired and frustrated at being given information about features in the room some of which they might chose not to use.
Could I also suggest that guests are invited to give their breakfast choices the evening before thereby ensuring that Cynthia doesn't have to prepare food that guests might not require?

It is true that the rooms themselves are lovely, spotlessly clean and very quiet.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
14  Thank janet g
Brian F, Owner at Caroe Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Thank you Janet for your review and for providing me with the platform from which to say something about you which I otherwise would not.

So to start with your header “ What did we do wrong” - Well where do I start, maybe the first thing you did wrong was to roll up with two people in a bad mood because you had decided to walk the coastal path in the pouring rain. Certainly your male friend in the Pink trousers was not shy about letting everyone know how he felt being grumpy, snearing, totally uncooperative, completely rude and arrogant and gave off such an air of contempt for everything, which is not how you enter someone else’s home.

You go on to say you had a nice chat over tea and cakes with my wife Cynthia when you arrived. I can appreciate that as I know how warm and friendly she is and she gives up a lot of her time to make guests feel welcome and at home. Then you also say you were kept standing around in the kitchen cold and wet. Well I’m sorry but these two statements are very much at odds with each other so which was it.?
I suspect the latter is from the guy in pink trousers who, when I first set eyes on him had a face like thunder and was not at all approachable in his demeanour and body language with a sullen and petulant look upon his face.

Actually he gave off such a bad vibe he made me feel quite flustered and rushed when showing you to your rooms. ( Part of the reason I made a slight mix up.) Ultimately though his aggressiveness did him no favours when he impatiently dived straight into the shower even before I had time to explain everything and hand the room over to you. The result being when I returned thirty seconds later to correct the situation and move you to the rooms you should have been in he was already naked and wet and had to parade around with only a towel to cover his modesty.
I haven’t actually ever mixed up a booking before but I would imagine our normal guests would just laugh it off. Or so I imagine, but then we have never had rude guests before who could not spare at least one minute of their precious time to allow me to settle them in properly.
So Mr Pinky Pants was not amused, even though it was to a large part his own fault and I think from that point on he was determined to be unpleasant which he did with great aplomb. His wife being as bad by continually supporting him, so all in all quite a pair.

Incidentally you say in your critique you had made a note of the names of the rooms Cynthia had earmarked for you. If that is the case then why did you not know which rooms you were supposed to be in when I was trying to sort things out. ? ? ?

The next thing you did wrong was for your friends to parade up and down the cream carpets on the stairs with walking boots on.
Whether they were dry boots or not there was still mud falling off them which of course I had to clean up lest it got trodden in and besides that sort of thing doesn’t look good for other guests.

You mention me wielding a vacuum cleaner. I find it strange you should say that as you were not present when I picked up the mud from the stairs, you were in fact in your room unpacking and the only two people who passed me on the stairs or who saw me with the small hand held Dyson in the thirty seconds it took me to clean up were your friends. No doubt what you are relating is from their account and heaven alone knows what mountain they made out of that molehill in the telling of it.

Did they tell you that whilst I was trying politely to mention about slippers being available in the hall if the weather was wet that they turned their backs on me and walked off leaving me to finish my sentence to their disappearing backs as they sloped off into their room. Rude Rude Rude - beyond belief.
They couldn’t even show me the common courtesy of waiting to hear what the rest of my sentence was going to be. Both he and she ( separately and not together ) did exactly the same thing on two occasions whilst you were still in your room. It was not something you witnessed.

The fact that you left without paying for the rooms you booked leaving us £440 out of pocket is disgusting not to mention criminal and had nothing to do at all with your pathetic reason being that I hoovered the stairs.
At no other time outside of that one instance did I mention dirt, wet, mud or anything else and now you say you left because you were afraid you might get told off. - That’s ridiculous. I think it is you making a big thing over a little dried dirt - not me.

In fact I can’t imagine my cleaning offended you or your friends at all. I think rather it was my mentioning to them that their boots were dirty that slightly ruffled their feathers and I think it was their puffed up opinion of themselves that they couldn’t stand being dented. Let’s face it nobody cancels a four night stay and walks off without paying just because their hosts clean the stairs.
And now you have the nerve to write a complaining review about it.

You wouldn’t know about the other instances of Mr Pinky Pants being exceptionally rude to me because again you were in your room and not there to witness any of them however I am not going to sit here all day trying to explain. You had to be there to know how appalling he was.
Suffice to say he tested my patience to the limit although I was determined to grit my teeth and be as polite to him as I am to all our guests. Which I was.

We pride ourselves on running one of the best most friendly, relaxed, clean, and beautiful B&Bs in North Cornwall and you only have to read the revues and our guests book to see that.
So you might well ask yourself “ what did we do wrong “ and if the answer doesn’t pop up and smack you straight in the face then you will never know and you will always continue through life being the soles our Australian guests described you as being and at your age I don’t think you are likely to change now.

So to help you I have made a ten point list which you might like to refer to in your future searches for the perfect B&B experience.

1.You do not turn up in a bad mood and act in a sullen manner like a spoilt teenager.

2. There are not many house rules here ( probably three at most ) but you need to be polite enough to at least act as if you are listening to them being explained and even if you are not listening, you do not turn your back, walk away and leave the host talking to himself.
Politeness goes a long way in our household. Rudeness does not.

3. You do not turn up on a wet day then parade around on cream carpet with walking boots on, ( as your friends did ) even if you say the mud is dry. Wear slippers or your socks.

4. You do not ignore the hosts introduction to your room by barging into the en-suite, stripping off and showering even before the host has left the room. You wait , have patience, be polite for 2 minutes at most then do whatever you need to do. ONLY when the room is handed over and it becomes yours do you disrobe.

5. When being asked what time you would like breakfast you do not reply “WHATEVER “! ( like Mr Pinky Pants sneared ) As if he was totally and utterly fed up with the whole effort of having to communicate with anyone.

6. You do not come in late on a rain soaked wet muddy night and walk straight up the stairs without wiping your feet ( like Mr Pinky Pants did ) especially when the host had previously and specifically pointed out that slippers were free and available by the bottom of the stairs in case the weather turned wet.

7. When your hosts enters your room to service it or deliver towels or shower matts you do not accuse them ( as Mr Pinky Pants wife did ) of sneaking around when you are out and suggesting they might be investigating if there is anything worth stealing from your luggage. That is not only rude, it is also slanderous.

8. You do not turn your back and walk off ( as both your friends did ) when the host is speaking to you and trying to engage in conversation. It is extremely rude to do that.

9. Respect other people’s homes. They have worked very hard to provide the best for you and you should not trash it, because they have to live with it afterwards whereas you don’t. Would you have wanted the previous guests to have left a mess behind them for you to live in. ?

10. You do not take it personally, to the point of leaving ( without paying ) just because your host cleans up after you. - PAY FOR THE ROOMS YOU HAVE BOOKED.- It is an exhausting and expensive business running a B&B and you should have more respect, morality and honesty in your bones than you have shown.

So you ask “What did we do wrong”

Any or all of the above are a few of the clues you will need to answer that.
Read them and try and figure it out.

You should consider yourselves fortunate that Cynthia with her good nature did not insist on a deposit or full payment up front when you booked and that she was too busy with our son’s wedding to send you a booking form. If she had done so then you would not have walked off owing us four hundred and forty pounds for cancelled rooms just by continually spouting you did not have a booking form, you did not have a booking form.
In fact I am still considering whether I should apply to the small claims court for the sum you owe plus costs and solicitors fees.
We take many bookings without booking forms as we believe people to be fundamentally as honest and trusting as we are. It is morally reprehensible to leave outstanding payments behind you and just walk off. Anyone with any worldly experience ( and you are not young and naive by any means ) knows that not showing up or an early termination of a stay carries with it the payment of the full amount.
You have in effect stolen from us and our business by choosing to deliberately flaunt these conventions.

You are no better than yobs and it’s a shame there isn’t some sort of a blacklist warning others B&B owners about people like you.

You say we were not surprised when you said after breakfast that you were leaving and that clearly you would not be missed. - That is so untrue.
Actually the second part might be true but as for the first part I think you might be suffering from some sort of Alzheimer’s as you must surely recall the fuss we had over you leaving without paying for the remainder of your booking and the shouting match which ensued in the kitchen in which your nasty little female friend accused me of all sorts of uncalled for things and then you walked out leaving us to profusely apologise to our Australian guests who had to endure all of this whilst eating their breakfast.
In fact I remember quite clearly the Aussie guy saying he was impressed at how well I handled such rudeness, if it had been him he would have just punched you and thrown you out.

So you see I quite clearly recall how surprised we were that basically you left without settling your bill just because I vacuumed the stairs in order to keep the place clean.

When it come to cleaning, it’s what I do. It’s my job here. I clean and clear, tidy, hoover, maintain the place, service rooms, clean en suites, and make beds etc. and generally keep everything in good condition for our guests.
If you were not prepared to be a compatible guest having researched us then you should have booked something else like a hostel with bare floor boards and cast iron bunk beds
( or a cow shed )

You still owe us the money for rooms booked and I would be grateful if you would send us a cheque immediately to clear your account.

You were ill mannered rude and dishonest but I bear you no ill will.
Just a request to step back and take a good long look at yourselves, don’t act like spoilt children, learn some manners and learn how to behave. ( I doubt you'll do any of that )

Then you might not find yourself asking the question - What did we do wrong !

With Kind Regards