Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
eDreams
Travelocity
All reviews crab fresh seafood grid accommodation ocean island water
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 February 2017

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in January 2017. Correspondence with the hotel before our stay was great, so no problems there and they assisted with setting up transportation as well.

We had chosen the accommodations over the water and SO happy we did! I think we would have been miserable had we not. Aside from a private bathroom, we were also able to eat our meals overlooking the water as opposed to in a hot buggy dining area. There is NOTHING to do, nowhere to even sit outside of your room unless you go to the other side of the island and sit on the beach from the other resort, so having a nicer room was very beneficial.

The major downside though...that hot buggy dining area (which shares a wall with the cabana we were staying in) is also where all of the staff sleep, including a baby who was up crying most of the night on our first night. The whole "resort" is so small though, my guess is that everyone was woken by the baby. Not exactly what we were expecting on our romantic getaway. The second night we got to listen to snoring....again, not that great.

We were not expecting much from the food based on the other reviews and I'm glad that we brought an abundance of snacks. The meals are traditional and not very large. Breakfast the first day was a hotdog and some plain bread, the second day was one egg and some plain bread. Lunch was rice with a whole fried fish, bones and all and dinner was lobster with rice. Unfortunately the lobster was so overcooked that it wasn't as appealing as we had hoped.

My husband and I were looking forward to some great snorkeling and looking forward to the boat trips to other islands. The two trips we went on lasted two hours total and unfortunately, since the other guests staying at the time were not all that interested in snorkeling, the islands that were chosen were more geared towards swimming. We snorkeled around our island quite a bit though and the area certainly is beautiful.

The saddest part of the whole trip though, was seeing so much trash on every island we visited and in the water. The Kuna have a beautiful paradise at their fingers and I just can't believe how poorly they are treating it. My guess is this place will be trashed in ten years so go now if you want to see it.

These islands are a great experience but I couldn't recommend staying here.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank Cindy L
Reviewed 16 December 2016

I wish I could put all I experienced in words, yet, I know its not possible. Only by opening oneself to the unexpected we can find places like these... I didnt even know those "post cards" even existed for real besides on photo shopped magazines pics... Well, from the truck pick up ride by Ricard aka duende, the trip only got more and more exquisite! Adventurous and completely safe, thats how it felt. The whole experienced was completely mind blowing. The boat ride and the history behind the Kanas and what to do when getting to our Island "Narasgandup". The tours through Isla de Las esters, Perro, and Fragata islands were the highlight...uhn, well, the FOOD (BEST Lobster and Blue crabs I ever experienced!!!!) was the highlight...uhn, No, the sunsets, an, nope the sunrise...No No No, the cabanas with the Ocean sound singing lullabies...argh nope, the hammock, noooooo highlight were the Native Kuna people and the many friends I made...from ALL over the World..DEF will be back for more!!!

Room tip: Paradise is here
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank CristianeMachado
Reviewed 19 November 2016

The tour agency forewarns you, but i'll reiterate here : if you get travel sick at all, you will be sick on the jeep ride here, or definitely on the return journey, which just starts out so rough. So pack the Dramamine. If you get the back row in the jeep, it will be all the more compounded, but it's luck of the draw which pick up spot you'll be.
Apart from that, this is a very special trip. At first, if you're like me, you'll wonder how you're going pass the next few days on this little stretch of beach. But before you know it, they'll be dragging you kicking and screaming to the boat back to the mainland ;)

Room tip: Being lulled to sleep by the waves just can't be beaten
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Cabanas Naranjo Chico for 2 nights during Aug 2016.

We chose to get there with the 4x4 drive option (note - lots of curves on the road, not for the ones with weak stomachs), after which we were picked up by our hosts with a boat. The boat ride to the island took around 30 minutes.

Our hosts were always very kind and did their best to accommodate us. It is an island far from modern infrastructure, but there was electricity in the common area and lights throughout the place

The first great news was that we were upgraded free of charge!
We got to eat freshly prepared lobster and they could even fully meet my wife's raw vegan requirements.
Every day there was a tour organized to other islands and interesting landmarks (sunk ships, sea start island etc) - but note, you have to pay a $2-3 fee to visit each of the islands.

The huts are made from straw so you can really hear the waves, birds and rain (which can get quite loud during rain season)

Overall, a great way to spend 2 nights!

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 591viktord
Reviewed 29 January 2016

On Isla Chico Naranjo, Cabanas Narasgandup is a group of ten basic but well-kept huts at the end of a small bay. The huts have bamboo walls and are simply furnished with beds and a table. Some have a covered terrace out-front. Some have basic private bathroom facilties with flushing toilet (paper goes in the bin not the toilet), cold water sink and cold water hose-pipe style shower. Needless to say, bring your own towels and toiletries. There is a light bulb in the room which provides low level light after dark. We were lucky enough to get one of the huts over the water and we fell asleep to the sound of the waves every night. Magical! (note there are only two over the sea so check when booking!).

The staff are fantastic and the food is amazing. Fresh seafood every night! All meals are served in a communal dining hut so you'll meet some great people - islanders and fellow visitors. We had lobster, crab and langoustines on the three nights we were there. Breakfast was some variation on eggs, sausage and bread (but different every day) and lunch was fish or chicken - the conch and seafood stir fries were particularly good. if you don't eat meat but eat seafood you will have no problems. If you don't eat seafood either it will be more difficult but they will be able to arrange something. We were also pleasantly surprised to get some salad and pineapple with lunch every day. The hot spicy sauce is also highly recommended!

You'll get a complimentary day trip every day to another island or snorkeling spot (there is a small "tourist tax" of 2-3 USD to pay if you visit another island - this contributes to maintaining and protecting the islands so well worth it). We visited the main island to see a local ceremony, a beautiful clear lagoon in the middle of the sea, and "star fish island" where there really are a lot of starfish!

And best of all - there's no WiFi - total Internet rehab :-)

A few things to keep in mind - not negatives but just things to be aware of:

- Be prepared for basic and if you book a hut without bathroom facilities bring a torch.
- the sea is quite rocky and currents are quite strong so it's not great for swimming- but the swimming spots and islands you'll go to on the daily outings are perfect for that.
- Not always easy to get a cold beer (or any beer) or even sometimes water. There is a small "shop" down the beach at the next guest house which usually has both (not necessarily cold!) But if you want anything else bring it with you.
- Depending on weather conditions the boat journey over is a bit choppy and you might get a bit/quite wet (we were soaked on the way over but stayed almost dry on the way back!). Dress appropriately and make sure all phones etc are somewhere waterproof. Crew will give you bin bags for your luggage.

But please don't let any of that put you off - this is an amazing place run by lovely people and to be enjoyed!

Date of stay: December 2015