All reviews puerto los cabos shared bathroom few minutes walk espresso machine sound of the waves wake
Reviewed 26 December 2016

John was a very friendly host. He was there to greet us when we arrived. He made sure we had everything we needed. Since nobody else was there at the time, John let us wander through all the rooms to see what else he had to offer. This a a very cool place and would be a lot of fun for an entire family. My wife and I had a fantastic time at Palapas and I would recommend it to anyone.
If you are looking for a super fancy all-inclusive, this is not it. I would also recommend renting a car. We had a lot of fun driving around Las Cabos.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Super cute, comfy, relaxing and out of the way - exactly what I was looking for on my recent trip to Mexico. Really well looked after gardens, relaxing pool looking over the beach and well stocked kitchen. Basic, but simple with some comfortable touches. Well worth the money, I couldn't have asked for anything else. Get yourself a car though...they're cheap to rent in Mexico and then you can explore the rest of Cabo when you feel like getting amongst the action - this will result in the perfect balance.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2016

I have stayed here twice, as this is a perfect setup for my family and friends. If you want the luxury and sterility of a big hotel/resort chain, look elsewhere - that is not what Palapas is about. It is a great place if you want a private and funky place to stay a short walk (on dirt roads) to the ocean and excellent, non-touristy restaurants. You will quickly get a feel for the nice little community this is in. The rooms/facility are quite comfortable, and the little garden area is a real treat. There is a small, unheated pool on an upper level with a view of the ocean that is a great place to hang out by (especially later in the afternoon). It is a short drive to the city of San Jose del Cabo (also, the bus stops right outside if you prefer). Palapas takes care of most of your basic modern needs, ranging from coffee makers, refrigerators, A/C, purified water, and, yes, wifi. Quiet (other than the roosters in the morning not too far away) and peaceful. I will be returning for the third time in the not-too distant future.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2016

I can't image a better place to stay in San Jose del Cabo. The grounds are a lush tropical garden with a pool, hammocks, BBQ, fish smoker, and even a ping pong table. Capitan John was a gracious host and bent over backwards to fulfill my every need. My boat was being repaired in the local yard which was only a 5 minute walk away. Super convenient. John is a long time local and helped me find mechanics and even helped with some boat projects as he is an expert sailor. Palapas is walking distance from fun restaurants, bars and the fishing charter fleet. I caught several tuna and Mahi Mahi. John smoked some for me and BBQ'ed the rest. Fantastic! I did not want to leave. The Palapas are clean and comfortable. I loved the outdoor kitchen and espresso machine as well as two refrigerators that John let me fill with cervesas. The larger units have their own kitchens and are super nice. The grounds are very private and safe. What more could you ask for? If you are cool and don't require a 5 star hotel with butlers with white gloves this is your place. Awesome and cheap!

Room Tip: The Palapas are cheap, the rooms with private kitchens are lightly more and large.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2016

I had a wonderful stay at the Palapas Resort. The cabina I rented was clean and comfortable; a nice bed, small refrigerator and coffee maker. Perfect accommodations for the traveler who plans to get out early for the fishing nearby. The grounds of the resort were quiet and comfortable - lots of plants, an open kitchen, hammocks to relax in. The proprietor John and the resort manager Vida were more than accommodating; they made my stay relaxing and fun. Use of the kitchen and the charwood grill were terrific amenities. I felt at home staying at Palapas. It was wonderful.
The location of Palapas is ideal. a 5 to 10 minute walk in either direction to a gorgeous beach. If you fish, the resort in La Playitas is a short (approx. 5 mins) walk to the marina where you can charter a fishing trip. Also on the #5 bus line, so it is easy to get in town. Nice restaurants in the area. An amazing hamburger/mystery burrito vendor (Mike), John's friendly dog, Baby J...a great place.

My only critique is that the smoker was not set up yet while I was staying there. ;) John, there's still 4-5 lbs of marlin left in the freezer. I hope the smoker is ready when I visit next time!

Thank you, John and Vida, for a wonderful stay. I highly recommend Palapas as a fantastic, convenient, and relaxing resort.

Dave

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Palapas1, General Manager at Palapas Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2016

Thanks Dave for being such a great Guest! We very much enjoyed your company too!
By the way, the smoker is finally operational, por fin :)
I am now working on smoke timing and a good teriyaki apple juice brine recipe with agave…
Take Care