“Stunning restaurant, exceptional dishes”

La Damajuana Mezcal Boutique & Fonda
Ranked #148 of 587 Restaurants in Cabo San Lucas
Price range: US$2 - US$20
Description: La Damajuana is a Mezcalería with the best labels of distilling houses certified by the Regulatory Mexican Council for Mezcal Quality, that offers the finest distillates Mexican Agaves in different varieties, in a very fine atmosphere, where you can find exquisite Mexican Contemporary Food and Fine Art.
Reviewed 6 April 2017

A hidden gem just steps from Marina Fiesta Resort.
Very charming and romantic.
The menu was just the right size and the descriptions of the dishes were spot on.
Nina was our server.Very polite and attentive. The espresso was heavenly served with heavy cream.
Surf and turf was pork tenderloin in sweet mole sauce made with care.The shrimp were cradled with sweet potato puree alongside gently prepared plantains and garnished with sweet potato chips.The peppermint shrimp was incredible, atop sauteed spinach garlic and onion. And more mint! Spring green beans and zucchini garnished the dish.
The home made bread was sweet, hot, crusty outside, soft inside. Could not ask for more, except a loaf for the road!
We used The Passport card, so it was 2 for 1 and never would have sought it out if not for the card. We will be filling place with friends and family frequently.
Also, the bartender is a trained mixologist! Very impressive.

1  Thank shellibomb
There are newer reviews for La Damajuana Mezcal Boutique & Fonda

Reviewed 16 March 2017

Four of us, all of whom are well experienced with Cabo since the 1980s, enjoyed a great meal here a couple of weeks ago. Always looking for new food experiences, we came across a blog highly rating this place as one of the new places to try in Cabo.So we did. And we will be back.

We started with the two men ordering specialty mescal based drinks. There was a bit of a hiccup in that our server returned after a bit of a wait to tell us that one key ingredient, "pecan marmelade" was in the process of being made in the kitchen, as they had run out. Initially we thought "oh no, a wait", but then we thought " how intriguing..home made pecan marmelade...what is that?!". She gave us a description and the guys decided to wait it out. Good thing. The drinks were mixed at our table, so the fun began. I just had to taste that pecan marmelade before he mixed it into the drinks. So good, they should bottle it and sell it. Really! The guys really enjoyed those drinks.

The girls had wine by the glass, which was two-for-one as it was happy hour time..think that's from 3 to 7 but can't remember for sure. Decent everyday wine.

Then the food. We shared a main course as an appetizer as we wanted to try it...the mole dish. It had come recommended. It was good. Better than most moles...I'm not a great fan. Then our main courses. One had fish. Beautifully cooked. Two had shrimp. Excellent. I had duck with Chilis en Nogales. Beautifully cooked and excellent. This is a nice twist on this very traditional dish. The poblano pepper was stuffed with a very tasty mix of chopped fruit and savoury flavours...no pork which is the usual. The duck breast was perfectly cooked and sat on top of the stuffed pepper, all draped with a lovely classic nut sauce, sprinkled with fresh pomegranate seeds. I was impressed to see the fresh pomegranates as they aren't in season. I'd come back for this very special dish alone, although there are a couple of other dishes on the menu that intrigue me. Someone in the kitchen has talent and creativity.

It's a fairly small restaurant and I'd like to be greedy and keep it to myself. I very rarely do these reviews. But I want it to succeed, as one often sees small places like this come and go. This one deserves to stay.

Our server was a young woman from Slovakia. Different for Cabo. I'm not sure if she is an employee or if she has some financial involvement. But, whatever, she expressed a real passion for what they are doing in terms of experimenting with the drinks and food.
It's obvious that they are continuing to test their drinks and menu items to see what works and what doesn't. I like to see that desire to improve and willingness to change. Let's hope the kitchen continues to dish out consistently, well prepared meals and the service stays on top of things as their business accelerates, as I'm sure it will.

Prices are very reasonable by Cabo standards.
Had one dessert but found it small and unimpressive. Only thimg I could fault them for.
I'm coming back next week with new friends. More duck, that's for sure!

1  Thank Alifewortheating
Reviewed 9 March 2017

We (five adults) noticed this small restaurant on our way to another one down the street. It looked very charming, and people who were eating gave us a thumbs up as we peered into the window. We decided to eat there two days later and give it a try. The specialty is Mescal, and there is a separate tasting room for those who want to try the drink. None of us did. There was also a small bar. The menu was limited, but we found enough to satisfy ourselves. The bread was homemade and delicious. Salads were large and very tasty. Two of us ordered a pork loin and shrimp dinner, one had fish and another had shrimp. The fifth person had a Mexican lasagna that was very different from the usual. All of the food was well prepared, artfully plated and excellent. We were told that Friday is the day for paella, and that it's very popular. Portions were on the small/medium side. The servers were super friendly and efficient, although they forgot my husband's salad and brought his main course instead. The waiter apologized, and a salad was quickly delivered. They assured him that the main course would be newly prepared, and he said it was cooked perfectly. We will definitely return.

Reviewed 3 March 2017

It started with a wonderful, knowledgeable bartender who made some cocktails I had never heard of. Part of the fun was watching the preparation. Then at our table we had mezcal flaming cheese topped with grasshoppers (you can skip these...but it was delicious). Some of the entrees were Mexican lasagna, catch of day wrapped in potato (my husband ordered this...delicious), I ordered chicken breast with pumpkin flowers in poblano sauce...sooo good. Very nice atmosphere ! We were sorry we waited til end of our trip because we would have gone back again. It was a wonderful new experience !

2  Thank Sandi Z
Reviewed 2 March 2017

GOOD: greeter, atmosphere,furniture. BAD: menu, food,, HORRIBLE: attitude toward customers. Briefly, one item ordered was not as described on the menu. ( substantially different contents ),and there was large foreign object in it. ..When brought to the attention of waitress, the plate was removed with a smile. When another person came to discuss the issue, she actually argued with the customer , saying "that is how we make it" and when it was pointed out that the menu specifically said " stuffed with goat cheese" and there was none at all, the reply is that the menu is wrong." When she was asked about the substantial loop of cord or string in the salad, ,the response was ," Oh, we use that to tie the vegetables together, it won't harm you!!" No apology, no offer to correct or adjust the bill, NOTHING Perhaps if you are into mescal that portion of the place may be ok, but as for me, I am never going back. ( and I live here) and I won't even go into the issue with the soup.