All reviews walking distance lower unit marina view no elevator units suite internet villa lugged wi resort cabo pros
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Our stay at Portofino was lovely. Everything else you read is accurate in my opinion. The only thing I would mention is the beaches because I wish I had known. I was disappointed in Medano Beach. It was full of boats and seadoos and smelt of gas and fumes, it wasn't an ideal place to hang out for the day. Not to mention the constant folks trying to sell you stuff. I don't mind it usually but it was over the top the day we were there, every 20 seconds and often same people every 5 minutes. My recommendation is to skip Medano and head straight to Lover's Beach on the water taxi! We were regretful we didn't spend more time there. Pack food and drinks and head for the day. We traveled with a 9 month old and a 2.5 year old. The resort was suitable for these ages. We stayed in the suite closest and were thankful.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank zolarpower
Reviewed 8 November 2012

It's truly a home away from home but in a tropical location, great amenities, clean, huge patio with the best views in Cabo.

Just came back from a trip a week ago, with three other people and it was a hoot. We wish we could have stayed longer. Everything you wanted in a vacation home is here. Full kitchen, BBQ, swimming pool, security, free 5 gallon water topped every second day, towel service, and cleaning service every other day. Free trip to Walmart and a Manager's bbq to welcome your stay.

The staff are awesome. If you need anything, just ask them and they won't hesitate. Very accommodating and helping. Don't hesitate to ask for recommendations for restaurants and trips.

Location is muy perfecto. Close to buses, marina, stores, restaurants, hospital, beach. I also like that because it's a small hotel and of its location away from the big all inclusive hotels by the beach, it makes you feel like you're experiencing the real Mexico yet you're not far away from the comforts of home.

We came here during Dia de los Muertos and witnessed the celebrations at the plaza right across from the hotel. It was a truly memorable experience.

Our room is on the 3rd floor with the best views of the city and the ocean. Unless you're in a wheelchair, who cares if there are a few stairs?

A few cons, don't expect a phone or wireless internet in your rooms. Phone (free to US and Canada) Wi-Fi and computer with internet are located in the main office on the ground floor.

Also, the jacuzzi was not working when we were there but no biggie.

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank TravelB1tch25
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I had a 1br all to myself--the steps weren't too bad to navigate, as long as I took my time. The view was amazing all day(but there is no marina view, at least not from my unit), even the lights of the city at night were nice. Sunrise from the deck was a great treat for me every morning--took tons of pix. Deck was huge--had 2 chaises, 4 cushioned chairs, and a table with chairs! Plenty of room and all shaded for part of the day--got morning sun, so I could still tan from my own deck if I wished. .Weather was great, never even turned on the air, fans were sufficient.
It was very clean, and the mattress was best I've ever had in a Mexican resort. Housekeepers came every day and did a really good job. The pool had sun all afternoon at least til 4pm. It was quiet and very peaceful. It is just 1/2 block to the town square, and just a little farther to many restaurants and shopping, plus a small local grocery just a few blocks away. There were free phone calls to the US from the office, plus a computer so I could check my mail every few days. THe book exchange was great--made good use of that! Kitchen was very well-stocked with dishes, utensils, pans, toaster, blender, coffee maker, filters, coffee. Office staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Get a room as far up as you're able to climb.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank JOANNE V
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This hotel is in a great location: close to many restaurants, the marina, dolfins and a large flea market. Once a week artists set up in a park across the street. This is wonderful because they have items they made temselves, not the same kitsch found in the flea markets.

We agree with everyone else: Miguel and Esther are friendly and helpful. They can also help link you up to someone else going back to the airport at the same time so you can share the cost. You can take a bus TO the hotel but not back to the airport so it can be pricey.

I noticed another review says you can watch the sunset from your balcony This is NOT TRUE... the hotel is not facing the right direction for that. In fact I talked to Miguel before we left home to see if we could get a room for that purpose and he told me none of the rooms face that direction. We took a sunset dinner cruise to see the sunset and it was worth it. The whales were in the area for mating so we also saw a few of them.
That same review also says there is a "grea view of the marina". That is not quite true either. From the top level you can see some cruise ships in the harbour but not the marina. The view is fabulous in any case.
We planned our trips well to avoid having to do the stairs any more that nevessary because we were at the very top.
We wondered if the trip to wal-mart stopped at the pottery shop because someone was getting a commission, but as a group we could decide to skip it if we wanted to.

Room Tip: The higher your room, the better your view of the city.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank grammasue14
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Really nice and well maintained resort. Fantastic views of the town and marina. Close to everything in town. Esther and Miguel are so welcoming and helpful and friendly. Very clean good sized pool with view over town. Fully equipped kitchens.

• Stayed: December 2011