1,604 results
All reviewsprivate beachestrella restaurantfull kitchenwhelkswasher dryerswim up barhome depotrented a carfire pitactivities directortacomexican fiestasmall resortthe penthouseocean viewtime shareon the rocks
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We spent 4 days here in early November. The location and facilities in person are as exotic as any photos make them appear, and several young men took pains to learn our names and to greet us by name. I particularly enjoyed snorkeling in 85 degree water at the adjacent,secluded beach with Manny. He also lead water aerobics classes in the main pool, besides other events. As Welk owners, my wife and I were leery of a strong sales pitch, but found a delightful lady in Jessica Eiben, who gave us an informed tour of the property, helpful tips and answers to our questions re. sightseeing in the area, but absolutely NO unwanted pressure to invest further. We appreciated our time at exquisite Sirena Del Mar!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My wife and I spent the last week at the Sirena Del Mar resort on an Interval International exchange. This resort is one of the best we have ever visited. The campus is gated and very safe. The grounds are beautiful and the views from the rooms in the 2 existing buildings are all facing the Sea of Cortez. We had a 1 Bedroom A unit which is larger than the B unit. Although the B unit is very nice and the bedroom has a direct view onto the water.

The staff is very friendly and customer oriented. Manny is the activities staff member who really has an engaging personality and gets people involved in daily water aerobics and other activities. The bar tending class was a hoot! Fabian and Hugo tag team on the waiter duties--the best. And of course Gina is a superb concierge.

The resort has a Dinner theme night every night. We only went to the Friday Mexican Fiesta, but noticed what seemed to be good food and service on the other evenings. All food service is outdoors under umbrellas or awning.

We did not rent a car. Most people who did wished that they did not. A couple we met paid $600/week for the rental, primarily because of the high daily insurance fees and taxes. Cab fares to downtown Cabo are only $15 each way. So unless your plan is to really explore a lot, cabs would be more economical.

The gym is nice for the size of the resort.

No negatives to report.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DonnaEric
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We recently spent 2 weeks on an exchange from our Marriott property through II [13-27 October].

From our original confirmation we soon realized we had been allocated a B Room [deluxe] which, though nice, would not have been at all suitable as we like lots of space and also prefer to eat on the balcony. Personnally, I do not think these rooms would be any way suitable for 4 adults unless of course you are really, really friendly!
We decided to upgrade to an A room [premier] at a cost & which I would highly recommend. However for our second week we upgraded again to a Penthouse in the newer building and that was so worth every penny. Sipping a Margarita, whilst lying in the jacuzzi on the balcony & watching the sun go down cannot be beaten.

In my opinion I think any negative reviews about this resort should be ignored because it is truly beautiful & all the staff are wonderful but do bear in mind it is a TIMESHARE so they do not offer the amenities of a full service 5* hotel.

In answer to some of the negatives - the property is built on a cliff so yes there are many steps down to the small rock strewn beach but do the research and if you want miles of golden sands then go elsewhere.

Importantly, each unit is fitted with safe so lock away your valuables if you're concerned Ref: "the stolen money reviews".

Hire a car if you want to explore Baja, save on taxis & be totally free.We highly recommend a trip to Hotel California in Todos Santos, the Baja Buggie experience, a trip to San Jose & a lunch time $5 tequilla shots in the Happy Endings Bar [sadly now too old for the night time activities!]

Go to Walmart for provisions & prepare some of your own meals if cost and distance are a factor. The kitchens are home from home.

Remember too that this is Mexico so things may be a little laid back & perhaps a little rough round the edges but that's why you came [having said that the people should be applauded for the way they cleared up all the debris following "Paul the hurricane" - so quickly & without fuss] ....

There's no doubt that a stay at Sirena Del Mar will be an unforgettable experience, the sounds of the crashing waves on the rocks below the balcony, the views over the Sea of Cortez, seeing the many fish in the shallow water at the beach edge, meeting the wonderful locals & staff, swimming in the glorious pools & hundreds more memories will stay with us forever.

Such a shame that it is oh so far from the UK.........

Room Tip: If you want luxury & to indulge get a Penthouse in the new building. B Rooms are very small [efficiency equivalent] with a balcony off the bedroom having only 2 chairs + coffee table. The lounge,sofa bed /dining area is to the rear of the unit & is really only suited to a couple or a family with 2 very small children. Most definitely not 4 adults. Premier A rooms are large with a great kitchen, one bed, one bath & a sofa bed. The balcony is huge with table/bench & chairs for eating & a hammock for relaxing. All face the ocean with splendid views but obviously the higher the floor the better the view. Old building units can see the swimming pools & Arc, the new building units overlook the small beach & rocks below.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank antonleics_UK
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We travel Mexico often and have been to Cabo many times in the last ten years. I have seen the Welk resort mentioned on Trip Advisor but thought, Welk and hotel equals old retirees sitting around the pool, with soap bubbles floating around. I figured the room numbers would be A one-a and a two-a and a three-a.

However after my niece, who is a travel snob, stayed at the hotel and raved, we thought we would give it a chance.

We read the reviews and most were posative and a few had negative comments.

We checked in late, about 10pm, and we had upgraded to a Premier room, which I would highly reccomend, (more later), but, due to room availability we had to check into a standard room first. We were give room 1304B in the original building. This unit was on the 3rd floor end and has a great view of the ocean and even the Arches. The balcony is directly above the swimming pool, which could be a bad thing, but the resort is so intimate, only 68 units, that the pool was not loud and noisy.

The next day we were moved to the 4th floor premium room 1401A. Wow, what a view. The balcony on this unit is perched directly about a rocky cove where the waves break for an awesome experience.

Comparison Standard Room vs Premiere Room

Standard Room

Small Kitchen with a 2 burner cooktop, large Refrigerator, small dishwasher and all cooking equipment you would need. NOTE: The unit even include Dishwasher soap and dish soap, coffee filters, coffee (decaf and regular). The balcony is quaint, big enough for 2 very comfortable padded chairs and a small table. Flat panel TV's in the main living area and the bedroom

Premiere Room

Full kitchen, including a stove and a nice bar to sit at in this full kitchen. The unit itself appears to be nearly twice the size of the standard unit. The shower has two shower heads and an overhead shower head, a great event for frisky couples of any age. .
The master bedroom has a nice large jetted tub in the bedroom.

Pros and Cons:

Pros:
besides everything that I have already written, the grounds are wonderful. Two negative edge pools, multiple levels and a HUGE spa to soak in.

Gas Grills to cook the great USDA steaks that you can buy at Costco 5 minutes down the road.

Even a set of mounted binoculars near the pool to watch for whates

Cons:

Very well hidden, and a bit of a challenge to find at night. It is directly across from Home Depot just west of Cabo Bello. A very small softly lighted sign will show you the entrance. It is about 1 mile or more down a small road that makes its way towards the beach and the gates of the hotel.

On premise eating is a disappointment, for breakfast at least. We had breakfast and the service was a bit slow. We were seated and 5 minutes later another couple was seated and the next thing I know they got their food and we were still waiting. Then I noticed, the couple both said this is not what we ordered, they got our food. He sent my wife's egg white omelette back. I then notice that the waiter covers it and starts to argue with the cook. About 5 mins later I finally address the issue and tell the waiter that we don't like cold food, please redo our order. A few minutes later he brings out the same, old, omelette to my wife and my plate. They simple micro'd my wife's eggs. My hash browns with similar to what you get a McDonald's and the frijoles were watery and maybe 2 tablespoons total.
However, when we received our bill the waiter took my wife's breakfast off the bill.

Bottom line, we are planning for our next trip to Cabo to stay at the Welk resort.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim V
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My partner and I spent 5 days here in this wonderful resort. Even though we went at the cusp of the wet season (end of August), we were lucky enough to have four beautiful days. A lightning storm finally hit on the last night we were there, and it was definitely somewhat frightening to me since I'm not used to such violent storms...but it was actually kind of fun and adventurous listening to the wind howling and waves crashing right beneath us. All rooms have an oceanfront view...so no gimmicks there!

Our one bedroom large villa was pristine when we stepped in. We were pleasantly surprised by the large granite counter tops, clean stone tiles, and a fancy shower that mimicked rainfall which also had a "his" and "hers" side. That's fancy living! As we walked into the bedroom we noticed that they had garnished the king-size bed with fresh rose petals. I turned to my significant other, "Honey, I don't remember ordering the honeymoon suite!" We made our way past the french doorway that opened up into the living room and now we decided to go outside to get some fresh air on our balcony.

This wasn't like any other hotel balcony. It was substantially large with a hammock set up perfectly to watch the ocean and smell the air while swaying in the breeze. In the evenings while the lights were on, we would count geckos on the walls outside which was pretty neat. The hammock was large enough for two adults to cuddle, but only if you knew how to balance and cherish those brief awkward moments of crushing each other while trying not to flip out of the swinging net. We enjoyed many breakfasts sitting on the balcony furniture, drinking our homemade mimosas, and feeling truly rich.

We booked an early timeshare tour (for the free stuff of course), and it actually was really pleasant and didn't take that long at all. No pressure to buy, and after it all we came out with free breakfast, a scuba-diving trip for two, and a waverunner rental for free. Needless to say, we went ahead and scheduled all that for the following two days and we had an AWESOME time. The water was so clear and warm and we saw so much wildlife, that I decided to come back to the states and get scuba certified. We went through Eagle Divers (you can see my review on tripadvisor) and Tio's watersports in Hotel Mia for the waverunner which was RIGHT up the famed arch.

The pool had a beautiful infinity edge. We counted only two families with children there...everyone else were adults. And this was during our whole five days there! It was relaxing, quiet, and not over-run with screaming children. The hotel is also walking distance to a private cove which was also somewhat romantic. Staff was always greeting us with a smile.

There were some downsides though to this adventure. Since it was so quiet and serene, it's no wonder that it was somewhat far from downtown. Each taxi took about 15 bucks and in the end, we kind of wondered whether we should have just rented a car instead. I think if you stop by Walmart and really stock up on most of your food and only spend one day in town, then it would be worth just taking taxis. If you are making several trips in and out of town during your stay and you're in a small party; then consider renting a car instead. Oh yeah, the restaurant was being remodeled while we were there and it was delicious but quite pricey. The other restaurant that was walking distance up the dirt hill was pretty good, but also kind of pricey too. Those were the only places that you could eat within walking distance really. Plan on either going to town for meals or stocking up from the nearby Costco or Walmart, which is about 5 - 10 bucks in a taxi.

It was hot, humid, but perfect for water activities. I would definitely come here again, but next time I would plan my trips out to town better to save money. Have fun!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple