“Just wow (in a good way)”

Mako Vegan and Veggie
Ranked #172 of 587 Restaurants in Cabo San Lucas
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Description: An alternative option to the gourmet cuisine from our destination. We are a popular restaurant with a menu based on vegan and vegetarian ingredients in an atmosphere full of contrasts.
Reviewed 12 May 2017

My significant other and I have been in Cabo San Lucas for about a week (we're toward the end of our stay), and have eaten here a few times (being vegan, our options were slightly limited, but this place is *just* that good).

Love the atmosphere and the fact that it's open-air. Seating is basically right next to an herb garden, and I find the plant-inspired decorating theme to be very relaxing. It's far enough off the Marina and away from the street markets that it's quieter - very nice to be able to have a conversation. Owners and staff seem to have a very nice and eclectic range of musical tastes that are a nice change of pace from the dance beats and pop/rock of the Marina and popular clubbing areas.

Even though the atmosphere appears to be very casual, the presentation of their food is not - there's a bit of art and a lot of care put into the construction of every plate. Everything here is fresh, and their staff don't seem to be afraid to experiment with different flavor combinations. I don't know if they make their own tortilla chips, but they might be the best I've ever had, along with their house salsa, which seems to rotate daily.

We've tried the Tacos Mako, Big Mako burger, Hawaiian burger, and a couple of their tortas (forgive me, but the names fail me just now) - one was a savory mushroom pastor, and the other seemed to be a mushroom pastor with pineapple or similar, served up with avo, fresh greens and tomatoes, and this awesome pepper/chili oil (on the side, for those that don't like a bit of heat; I found it to be mild/medium-ish, and very tasty).

Many of their desserts are plant-based/vegan; there was a coconut milk-based rice pudding with star anise and other spices, garnished with candied fruit, raspberries and mint, that was really good; I highly recommend trying it, if you decide to eat here. Rice pudding is something I haven't been able to find or replicate in my nine years as a vegan, and I have missed it; flavor- and texture-wise, this particular rendition of that dessert checks all the right boxes. Virtually everything on the menu can be made vegan, if you're plant-based like us.

Even if you're just a "plant-curious carnivore" type, you should probably check this place out, if you're in Cabo San Lucas - it is well worth it, and the flavors and textures of the food may pleasantly surprise you.

1  Thank Courtney S
There are newer reviews for Mako Vegan and Veggie

Reviewed 9 May 2017

The atmósfera of the place is great, the attention is excellent , the green salad is the best and there`s a Goat Cheese and Datil pizza with is amazing, they also have mexican wines in their menu that are really good, in special one is called Tacuche that it has a dog on the label, and the clericots are really good option as well. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

A rare find in Cabo. Vegan and vegetarian restaurant owned and operated by a resident vegan who lives on site. Attention to freshness and detail is exceptional.
I had the Mako Burger a black bean and veggie burger for lunch was a Pacifico in a chilled glass. It was exceptional.
I returned for the pasta and beet soup for dinner. Word is the pizza is great. I'll come back for that on my return to Cabo San Lucas

Reviewed 1 May 2017

First time being in this restaurant. The setting was very nice and quiet. You are nestled in a garden and don't feel like you're downtown at all. had the pizza and it was excellent. Wish I would have had more time to go back and try other dishes. Staff was very friendly and polite.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

The food is grown in their garden and the eggs are from the owner's chickens next door. Owner was there to answer questions about the food and restaurant. Prices very reasonable and food was soooooo tasty. Worth checking out if you are in Cabo.