New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Wide Open Cabo - Day Tours
Ranked #62 of 205 Tours in Cabo San Lucas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Now you get to experience the thrill in the driver’s seat! In the heart of the untamed Baja peninsula you get to drive in the safety of our custom built race cars, always within radio-shot of our experienced guides and the professional support crew of Wide Open Excursions! The closed course track is just outside Cabo San Lucas. Wide Open Cabo’s Baja Challenge (BC) racecars are not “dune buggies” or “sand rails”; they are the same cars that race in the Baja 1000. With Wide Open Adventures you will experience the thrill of racing in the Baja 1000. You will slide around sandy berms, view scenic trails, capture the true beauty of the Baja peninsula while safely strapped into a suspended racing seat by a 5-point safety harness system. Wide Open Cabo’s racecars are powered by 4 cylinder 2 liter engines that provide almost 200 hp. They are outfitted with off-road racing suspension and shock absorbers that provide 18” of suspension travel. We run exclusively on BF Goodrich All Terrain TA and Mud Terrain TA Tires. Each car is equipped with a 2 way radio system, internal intercom system, global positioning system, and fresh air filter.For as little as $395.00 USD, plus tax, you can strap yourself in one of our purpose built off-road race cars. Our staff will explain the safety precautions and provide you with some tips on how to handle these thrilling desert machines before tackling our off-road course. Three options are available, and while none of them require previous off-road experience, these cars have manual transaxles so experience in driving a standard shift vehicle is helpful.
Kitchener, ON
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Boat ride to the Arch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Most memorable experience of trip. Many sea lions and tropical fish. Marina reminded us of the heavy boat traffic in Venice Italy.

Visited February 2012

Indianapolis, Indiana
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Did the 1/2 day trip; very good time; only complaints were that they stagger you around the track at about 90 seconds appart; as soon as I building-up some decent speed I was forced to slow due to the vehicle in front of me. Minor set back but still kinda of a bummer. Staff was excellent. Even took us back to our resort; also rented a HD camera from their office to record the excursion; when the staff installed it to the vehicle they failed to hit the record button so none of the trip was recoeded. Very disappointed with that I contacted their office as soon as I returned home and realized the memory card was blank; they contacted me asap, refunded the money for the camera and sent me some free stuff as well. I got over it (I still wish I had it recorded so I could show everybody). Gives me an ecxuse to do it again when I revisit Cabo in February 2013.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank sepedigo
Mokena, Illinois
“Wide Open Baja Delivers on ALL promises!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

My buddy and I left our wives at the pool and I opted for the 1/3rd Day Trip, Taste of Baja. We headed out of town in their own van into a remote part of the desert, which was only about a 25 minute scenic drive. From the moment you pull off the paved road towards their setup the cars were ready and waiting for us. This isn't their first rodeo...they have their act together! After a short prep on the cars, safety, the tracks, etc. we were quickly into the cars and off.
Roy, one of the owners of Wide Open, was our team leader for the day. Roy was fantastic! A great guy with a real passion for the experience and full of fascinating stories about past trips and current clients.
We had a group of 4 cars and took off on the 1st of 2 tracks. They aren't kidding when they tell you these cars are for real! The 1st time around the track the driver is getting slightly used to the car and the co-driver is getting used to the communications between other cars. After that 1st lap, it was all on! Drifting around turns, hitting jumps, setting the suspension, navigating hairpin blind turns and just basically testing the cars abilities. These cars can take about anything you can dish out.
They give you lunch, snacks, drinks in between runs while the pit crew prepares the cars for the next run.
They also do several other trips (1 full day, 3 day, 4 day, etc. ) that we did ask a lot about and we're very interested in doing when we're able to find some time to go back.
When we finished for the day they had plenty of snacks, cold water bottles and colder cervezas!
Great adrenaline fun with a great company and a really great group of people. I couldn't possibly recommend it more. Thanks Roy!!!

Visited January 2012
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wide Open Cabo is the REAL THING Baja Rally Lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

My husband and I did the Baja Challenge (1/2 day in a Baja Bug) at Wide Open Cabo, my husband is a race car driver he does road racing on asphalt and he wanted to ad to his thrills on the track, Wide Open Cabo did the trick, first class operation with 130K built for the baja cars, no slow lead cars here, just try to stay up with the professionals, its not cheap, but worth the money, they have a 5 mile 'sand" track and another more technical 10 or 15 mile loop...it was a blast!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank cbrenza
Napoleon, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Awesome!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

An experience of a lifetime! I rode with a friend who is experienced at driving these so it was enhanced by his driving skills.

Visited February 2011