“A Highlight of my Trip”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My daughter and I walked past Five Palms in search of take-out food. As is common in Sonora, a man beckoned us to come inside and enjoy some fine food.

The man was pleasant enough, so we went inside to the bar and ordered shredded beef tacos and quesadillas to take back to our hotel.

While waiting for our food, I spoke with the owner for 15-20 minutes. He told us of his real estate interests in San Carlos and how he was hoping to revamp the Five Palms into something special. He told us that he had attended the University of Arizona for a spell, refining his knowledge and skills.

It may seem odd, but hanging out with a restaurant owner at the bar, and chatting it up was a highlight, of many, while staying in San Carlos. Plus, my daughter of age 11, got her first experience of sitting at a bar and watching football without a bunch of hooligans surrounding us.

The food was very good and reasonably priced, The bottled beer was ice cold and excellent.

When I go back to San Carlos, I will certainly go to the Five Palms. I hope the place is booming.

Dave

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I had dinner with my wife, excellent service they just reopen two weeks ago, prices are average but food is awesome, had a Filete RH is a specialty of mignon with shrimp it was the best ever, presentation of plate high profile! Give it a try is worth it!

1  Thank Elaine H
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Stay away. This is a sad restaurant. And the only one I stay away from in San Carlos. I lived in SC for a year and got to know a lot of people and places. Here's why I don't recommend it:
1. The food is good but extremely over priced.
2. If you are not specific in what you order, they will pad your bill with the highest cost items(alcohols & wines especially).
3. Finally, the waitstaff ask to be given tips in cash. They are insistent to the point of being rude.
I know people swear by the food and "swanky" atmosphere. But, put your hard earned cash in the hands of other locals that deserve it.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have had dinner here twice. Once was just okay. The second time was awful. The first time I had a filet mignon that was okay. Nothing spectacular.

The second time the waiter brought me the wrong beer to start and expected me to keep the wrong beer just because he had already opened it. Then I ordered the "aged NY strip". What a joke. That thing was so tough i couldn't even cut it. And it was barely cooked when I had ordered medium well. I showed the waiter how tough it was and how under-cooked but he nor the manager offered any discount.

Then I went to pay and needed to pay my girlfriend's dinner with cash and my dinner with the company card, so I gave the waiter $300 pesos and asked him to put the rest on the company card. He came back and had put it all on the company card and pocketed the $300 pesos for a tip. Don't think so my friend....$you think you earned a $300 peso tip on a $600 check when service and food were bad? Not even funny.

I'll never go back. I would try other options. For steakhouses, El Bronco and Blackie's have much better food and service. Also Piccolo for Italian and Los Arbolitos for seafood. Don't waste you're time here.

1  Thank troutfisher2
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We have had good food there twice. We have tried going back on several occasions because it is one of the nicest with a great menu, good service etc. Each time that we enter the front door which is where the bar is located, we are hit with smoke. When we walk to the dining room, there is a poorly vented wood burning stove there that also heats up the room. The smoke can be seen hanging in the air in the room. When you leave the restaurant, you smell like you have been sitting in front of a camp fire all night. We love it, our friends love it, but until they eliminate the wood burning stove in the dining room, we cannot go back. BooHoo.

2  Thank Millie A