“Staff didn’t know menu and kept correcting us on what we’d asked for”
Review of Ribchester Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ribchester
Ribchester Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Ribchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

We have been here so many times, it was fast becoming a favourite so much so, we decided our annual family festive meal would be here. Taking a family of 6 out isn’t cheap so it’s not a decision we make lightly. I was so disappointed we’ll never be returning. Staff had multiple chances to make it up to us and instead kept telling us how we were wrong.

We ordered our children meals from the young diners menu, the waitress was asked what the roast of the day was. She replied “I don’t know, er, turkey”. Actually this was a special and they wanted to charge us more for it even though it missed the one ingredient the children wanted. A Yorkshire pudding.

When asked how it was I said they were disappointed there was no Yorkshire pudding, I was told there is no Yorkshire on the children’s roast. I insisted we’d ordered roast of the day with Yorkshire and that it was clearly on the menu. Again I was told I was wrong.

That was that, the staff didn’t bother with us again the rest of the night, they just chatted amongst themselves. We had to wait 10 minutes for a pot of tea and no-one took our dessert order. No problem waiting for a brew when it’s busy, but when it’s completely dead, three members of staff are just chatting at the bar and no-one’s even begun making a pot of tea and you’ve got small children disappointed that no-one offered them a dessert. All the while it’s getting later and later. Just couldn’t believe how bad the staff were compared to normal.

If they had made even the slightest attempt to compensate for the fact they’d made the mistakes rather than telling us we were wrong repeatedly it would’ve ended differently. Very disappointed, having moved into the area we were so pleased to have found a regular place to dine as a family. If the service is dependent on which staff are on, and the staff that are able to make decisions just blame push and accept no responsibility or offer any compensation we will definitely not be dining here ever again.

My Mum had even planned to book her conference parties in here as she’d enjoyed it when we’d brought friends and relatives here and now we’ll not be booking in future.

Can’t stress how incredibly disappointed we were.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 November 2017

We booked for a weeks stay in Ribchester in a holiday house. Our first port of call was lunch at The Rib as we have come to call it! What a fabulous front of house team, super food, truly excellent pub grub! It’s a real gem. Quick service.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

Large portions -this place is far from skinny with the meat! I don’t even usually like lamb and my husbands lamb was lovely. Plenty gravy, I always have to ask for more gravy but not here. Also my 2 year old loves the homemade spaghetti bol. Lovely staff and friendly atmosphere. The wine is nice too. Well worth a visit

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2017

Six people for a late afternoon Sunday lunch. Service was excellent, the head waitress had everything under control.
The dining room felt cold, brightly lit and a bit baren, no table cloths and paper napkins helped to make it feel a bit like eating in a works canteen.
The dining room could do with a softer touch, to make it feel comfortable and welcoming.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

Liars and incompetence - We contacted them waaaaay back in July to ask when xmas bookings started backwards and forwards with Emails with "nice guy" called Phil.
We decided to book for xmas and asked about deposits.... when to pay and how much, etc ? But no reply from Phil.
Sent another Email about deposits and asked if we were pencilled in......but again no reply from Phil.
In August received Email with full xmas menu. Replied to said Email by again asking about deposits and was our place booked but yet again no reply from Phil.
Decided to not bother as didnt want to turn up xmas day and not know if we'd be seated or not.
This morning received Email from Phil ( hooray he's alive !!!) asking for deposit. I replied and said we weren't bothering as we'd had no reply to our Emails. Phil got snotty and lied that he'd told us we were booked in for xmas in reply to one of our Emails... which he hadn't.
I would advise anyone who HAS booked in for xmas to contact the Ribchester Arms to confirm that they actually are booked in.....but obviously not by Email......and not with Phil

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Splat C

Been to Ribchester Arms? Share your experiences!