“The most charming stop in Tulum restaurant bay”

La Vela Tulum Seafood and Steak House
Ranked #197 of 501 Restaurants in Tulum
Price range: US$11 - US$61
Reviewed 26 March 2016 via mobile

I think this place became my favorite in Tulum. I had the chance to meet personally the chef and the staff which was incredibly kind. The place is full of nice vintage deco and I'd say the Agua de Pepino and Margarita de Maracuya were my favorite. You can't get them in happy hour too! The chef prepares very tasty dips & totopos , and fresh fruity salads. They're so welcoming.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

First time: ok seafood with ok sauces.
Second time: Crap on a plate. Half rotten corn, burned pineapple, Uncooked potato. Embarrassed by the food in front of a guest... and I told them I wanted a meal on the house as I was living nearby. They could speak English that day.
Third time: Went in for my 'meal on the house' it was ok though the crappy sauce was saltier than the fish so I could not taste much. Then they charged me extra for a tip and gave me a huge bill and pretended not to speak English. They refused to give me the owners name or email, I made a scene, and then one of the staff threatened me with police calls and physical violence, so I left. I threw my money at them. I threw my money away.

1  Thank Adam K
Reviewed 6 January 2016

Restaurant is nice, however very limited menu, found it overpriced, entrees >35 USD, good flavor but nothing spectacular. Seems that there is new owner and chef maybe that's the reason. The waiter and chef both very friendly. I would not go back.
We had to pay cash because they were not accepting CC

1  Thank Rors123
Reviewed 10 December 2015 via mobile

I find that TA is usually a good reference. However, I was really disappointed with this pick.

1st the good. The manager and staff were super friendly. Loved chatting with them in Spanglish. And the ambiance is really cool. And the Tuna tar tar appetizer was delicious.

2 the bad.

We we're the only two in the restaurant. If imagine that are good would have been perfectly cooked. There was no one else to focus on.

This wasn't the case. The seared tuna was rubbery and over cooked. Edible. But barely. And for $450 I expected a delicious entree.

My filet mignon was over cooked and not the best cut of meat. But I was hungry so I powered it down.

The $30.00 local bottle of wine wasn't to far from being used as red wine vinegar. This we didn't come close to finishing.

The back of the restaurant has natural hemp ice cream. Perhaps this is an acquired taste? But in my opinion kinda gross.

If you go ask to taste the wine before ordering a bottle and I'd keep it to appetizers.

They have some work to do to make this place worth what they're charging.

2  Thank mjay0806
Reviewed 3 December 2015 via mobile

We were greeted by the head chef who explained the menu in detail as well as some specials not mentioned - great conversation, great atmosphere and GREAT food. Highly recommend a visit here !