“Beautiful Property, Great People, Dream Wedding”
Review of Ahau Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Ahau Tulum
Ranked #9 of 102 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 April 2015

We just got back from an unbelievable two week adventure, the majority of which was spent at the Ahau Tulum. We had spent nearly a year planning our wedding, all from far away, so seeing things come together the day of still feels like a dream. I typically only write a review when I am incredibly happy or incredibly disappointed. No exaggeration, our wedding could not have been better. The property was immaculate, the food was delicious and thoughtful, and the staff was extremely friendly. Many of our guests mentioned after the four-day weekend that they are dying to visit Tulum again and couldn't imagine staying anywhere else other than Ahau.

I want to give specific thanks to Ahau’s wedding planner, Nisia, who proved to be incredibly versatile, creative and effective while maintaining her very relaxed yet professional demeanor - in fact, our entire event got moved inside last minute due to wind and Nisia made things perfect. She was extremely resourceful and intentional in the way she set things up, has an eye for design, opinions on food and music you can trust, and even helped to fix my hair last minute! She was able to find us an amazing band for our cocktail hour, and even arranged for a marquesitas cart to serve up dessert during the reception. Thank you, Nisia - you rocked it!

Planning a wedding internationally is not easy and can be extremely frustrating. Communication and the pace might leave you praying for a good outcome, but please trust me when I say that Ahau not only has the best location on the beach, but an extremely talented and capable group of people that will leave you feeling like the luckiest couple in the world for finding them!

Kudos to the chef who innovated with in-season ingredients to produce an exceptionally delicious meal and beautiful food presentation throughout our stay. Many thanks to the reservation department who made our bookings easy - Ari and Jill, you girls are the best, thanks for your hard work and for always being so friendly. The Ahau staff, in particular Paris, Marco, Manuel, and Arturo were incredibly friendly and so much fun. Also, special thanks to the fabulous raw restaurant on the Ahau property- your food is simply amazing, and your generous spread of goodies to snack on while my bridesmaids and I got ready was so so good.

It sounds cliché, but this place really does start to feel like home. Tulum is a very special place, and Ahau captures what it is all about. We plan to make it back soon and can’t wait to see everyone again!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meg R
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2015

Holaaaa!

We are so happy to know that you had a great experience during your wedding in Ahau. We remember the cloudy day and how the plans had to change but at the end everything went well and you and your invites had a blast! Nisia is a great asset to Ahau as she will be always on top and ahead to make the bride & Groom as well as the family to have anything they need to enjoy their stay in Ahau and to enjoy this important celebrations! Thank you for all the great comments about Ari, Jill, Manuel, Marco, Paris and all the staff. This kind of review makes us feel proud and to want to be better because knowing that our guests did enjoy their vacations and more, their wedding is amazing. We will be waiting for you on your second honeymoon for sure to offer you the service you deserve as part of the Ahau family.

Best Regards,

Arturo Soto

Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed 14 April 2015

My husband and I chose Tulum for our honeymoon and we split our stay between the beach area and the town of Tulum. We chose Ahau Tulum for our beach stay based on their great reviews and I loved the eco-friendly vibe the place seems to have. The price for staying at Ahau Tulum also seems to be comparable to other hotels in the area.

Upon arrival, my husband and I were each given welcome drinks and we grabbed some lunch in the hotel’s beachfront restaurant while waiting for our rooms to be ready. The food was good and the simple, relaxed vibe of the place was a great way to kick off our vacation! We were given room 16, which is on the 2nd floor of one of the buildings closer to the main building (which has the reception & restaurant area). The room had a soft and comfortable king-sized bed and a wonderful balcony with a hammock and a great ocean view. My husband and I spent a huge chunk of our time at Ahau relaxing in our balcony. It was the perfect spot to read a book, take a nap and to get some morning sun. The room also had a small safe (for keeping our valuables), a jug of fresh drinking water, and complementary toiletries provided included aloe vera gel (which my husband needed after getting sunburned on our 2nd day) and a mosquito repellant spray (which was very handy to have in the evening while walking around the area). The room also has air-conditioning which was turned on in the evening. You don’t really need it though as there is always a nice ocean breeze circulating in the room from the room’s many windows, but it was nice to have since it can feel damp and humid in the evening.

WiFi is really best in the hotel lobby and restaurant area, but we were able to access a bit of it from our room based on our building’s proximity to the main building. The hotel also provided daybeds, hammocks, beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach for their guests and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed napping on the beach daybeds in the afternoon. The daybeds can fill up quickly during the day, but really, who cares if you have to plop down a towel in the sand when you’re on vacation in paradise? My husband and I also signed up for one of the yoga classes the hotel offers in the morning and that was wonderful as well. The yoga class took place in an area above their restaurant with tall windows facing the beach. The yoga instructor was great. This was my husband’s second time in a yoga class and I’ve taken quite a few, but we were able to modify the moves to each of our comfort and challenge level. There was also a person who was playing the harp during our yoga class – which was a great addition!

Everyone who worked at the hotel were friendly and helpful, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! It was great to have a few days to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean waves, relax under the sun, walk along the beautiful beach and explore nearby restaurants (Hartwood, Casa Jaguar, Gitano, and many other options are only a 5-10 minute walk away).

A couple of minor nits that didn’t really bother me, but some of you may be interested in hearing about. The water in the shower either took a while to warm up or simply never did– which is fine since the cool water felt good after a day in the sun. You can check out beach towels from the reception desk with towel tickets, but it wasn’t properly explained to us that you needed to return the towels back to the reception desk in order to receive another towel ticket for use in checking out a beach towel for the following day. If you want to book a spa service, you have to let the reception desk know a few hours in advanced as while there is an area set aside for spa services, there is no on-site spa staff.

Overall, would absolutely recommend this place to friends and family! We hope to come back again in the next few years. It sounds cliché, but it truly was a memorable, magical stay.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the restaurant and reception area have the best wifi access.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kat D
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2015

Hello!

This is the kind of reviews that make us want to improve and to better every day, we are so happy to hear that your stay was truly memorable and we enjoy reading how you describe your stay, your room, restaurants and surroundings, the way you described it is exquisite.! We will improve our spa services to make it faster and we will be sure to explain the towels system to our guests. We hope too that you come back in the next few years and be sure you will have a magical stay again here in Ahau and beautiful Tulum.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2015

We are so grateful for the most amazing, personal service during our stay at both Ahau and Alaya (sister property). The food at Ahau is among the best in all of Tulum, Marco, Paulina and Rolando made sure that we were completely satisfied with every aspect of our visit. All I can say is be sure that you ask for exactly what you expect - whether it's complete privacy or if you have kids so that you are in the best possible suite. We had the Master Suite which was lovely but since it was a holiday week and we wanted seclusion and quiet we moved a few minutes down the road to Alaya (just opened). Magical describes our experience best.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple

Hello!

It is wonderful to know that Ahau and Alaya fulfilled your expectations and that Paulina, Marco and Rolando offered you that extra mile required to make your vacations magical one. Thank you for the good comments about Ahau’s food and please, do not hesitate to come back anytime to ahau or Alaya as you know now we will be ready to pamper you!

Reviewed 3 April 2015

Without a doubt the best designed slice of paradise in Tulum. Beach, restaurant, accommodations, service - everything is truly stellar offering the quintessential Tulum experience home base. We stay there when we can and would happily recommend it to anyone with higher standards.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2015

Hello!

Thank you for recommending us as a high standard profile hotel, we are so happy to hear that when you stayed in Ahau you felt at home and that you received a stellar service and that you enjoyed the beach and restaurant. Do not take long to come back again to beautiful Tulum and Ahau; we will be waiting for you to offer you a quintessential experience again!

Reviewed 2 April 2015

My boyfriend and I stayed at Ahau for 5 days and we were in absolute heaven. I was a little unsure as I had contacted the hotel a few times prior to my stay and didn't get the quickest responses, but it is simply because of the relaxed, go-with-the-flow mentality there. I am a bit of a control freak and like to triple confirm everything, but as soon as I arrived I easily relaxed. We were greeted with mimosas and given a ton of information about the hotel and area. The staff manager was even nice enough to walk us down the street to show us his restaurant recommendations. Everyone we spoke with in terms of staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

The restaurant on site had a great selection for all meals, including an awesome fruit juice selection. The beach daybeds were also really comfortable - tip though to secure one earlier in the day if you would like an umbrella. There are definitely enough and it's not like a huge resort where you have to secure a spot, but if you want an umbrella you may have to get one earlier.

We did the AM yoga on our last day and it was amazing, the instructor was so knowledgeable and we did some stretches I have never done before. We also rented bikes and did snorkeling through the hotel, both which were easy and very fun.

I recommend this place wholeheartedly!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple

Hello!

It is a pleasure to have happy guests after their stay in Ahau; we want to thank you for all the nice comments about our staff and about the hotel. We apologize because you did not get the quickest response from us, and we promise to improve on that. Please do not hesitate to come back as soon as possible as we will be waiting for you to make you relax and enjoy beautiful Tulum and Ahau.