All reviews granola royal room fresh fruit ceiling fan huevos rancheros every morning beach towels mosquito net our honeymoon ocean breeze private patio no air conditioning drinking water sun loungers palm trees included breakfast beautiful beach
Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

After an unwanted stopover in Cancun, Hotel Calaluna was a very welcome change. Upon arrival, we were met by the friendly staff and shown to our room... right on the beach!

In case you haven’t already figured, this is an eco-hotel, which means no air conditioning and no fridge, TV, etc. Don’t worry, you don’t need any of these things! The ceiling fan, kept us very cool and it made me realize how superior they are to AC! Beyond that, there is so much to do in Tulum, not least lie in the hammock and watch the waves come in, so you don’t need to spend much time indoors. I did have a fantastic sleep every night, never awoken by the heat, but by the crashing of the waves. Blissful!

The room has the classic Tulum ‘eco beach chic’ style. I was surprised about how clean it felt, despite the rustic style and each day every grain of sand was removed from the room and we returned to find it in immaculate form.

The enclosed porch is the most important feature. I spent hours during day and night, in the hammock or reading/gazing out to sea in the chairs. On the few occasions it rained, this also provided ample refuge and we saw some pretty impressive lightning strikes over the Caribbean. I will never forget the breeze and sound of he waves, we were very sad to leave this morning.

All in all, I have only positive things to say about the room, staff, breakfast and location. Just know what you are booking and you won’t be disappointed!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 939nathanw
Reviewed 26 August 2018

I stayed at CalaLuna as a treat during a working trip to Mexico. Therefore, I decided to stay in the best room they had (The Suit). The location and views were amazing, but the poor and rude service really made my stay the most unpleasant I had in Mexico.

On my arrival, the receptionist was so rude! He did not help me with my luggage and he argued with me when I asked why I had to sign a document authorizing the hotel to use my personal data even after my departure. I understand that this could be the case in many places, but arguing and being rude to your clients IS NOT THE WAY to deal with it.

This indifferent/rude attitude was very similar when I asked for help to other receptionists throughout the day during my stay. It was clear to me they were tired of dealing with tourists. But, as a client paying almost US$170 for one person in one room I was expecting more than the average service I got. I was really disappointed.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND STAYING HERE.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank WZe2013
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

This hotel seems to have had some quite mixed reviews. To me it was exactly as advertised: I found it clean and with very friendly and pleasant staff. I stayed in the cheaper rooms across the road; yes, they were noisier / particularly during the day - but not to the extent that I couldn’t sleep at night. I had a top floor room and it was very airy and light. It was also clean and spacious. I am sure that the more expensive rooms on the beach were more pleasant (although some seemed darker). No bar or restaurant but there are plenty nearby, literally across the road or next door. And breakfast was basic but pleasant. The beach was suffering from a huge amount of seaweed, but that was the same for all the hotels along the Tulum coast when I was visiting. I was just there to soak up the sun and read some books so only making the occasional dip into the sea so that didn’t bother me. I would happily make a return visit and, on balance, would probably get a beach room, but would also try and check the seaweed situation!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 7 July 2018

This is an eco-friendly hotel. That means low-energy usage. So the rooms have minimal lighting. During the day this does not present a problem, because you can open the drapes. At night, our room felt under lit. If you have a flashlight app in your cell phone, you will find it useful when looking in your suitcase. The staff was helpful. The breakfast was very good. Low water pressure in the shower, but I sense that is the case in much of Yucatan. No AC in the room. If there is a good breeze from the ocean, this is less of a problem. Our room faces the ocean, so we had a good breeze on most nights. We stayed four nights, and the breeze was very light on the last night -- so sleeping was a bit rough. A mosquito net is provided on the bed, and make sure it is closed. The hotel is very close to some good restaurants and is right on the beach, as the pictures indicate.

Date of stay: June 2018
2  Thank Scott A
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Our room was the one with ocean partly view.
Very clean, good breakfast and the stuff was very friendly.
The only problem was that after 10-11 pm we didn’t have any electricity or wifi. But I definitely recommend this hotel if you want to relax and save some money!

Date of stay: May 2018