All reviews villa pescadores sister hotel chef roberto amazing shower minute walk ceviche mayan ruins room cleaning avocado toast pesos per person outdoor shower beachfront bungalow every morning the hotel staff welcome drink watch the sunrise beach club
Reviewed 1 November 2018 via mobile

We were looking for something to eat after visiting the Ruins of Tulum and walked down the beach until the sunbeds of Kai stood out and invited us to come back a few times to eat and relax at the beach. The beds are free if you consume something. The food (steak) was outstanding and the Pina Colada was one of the best we ever had. Service was friendly and comforting - definitely not as consumption pushing as in Playa del Carmen for example. One of the waiters, Miguel, was trying his very best to get us everything we desired. Thanks!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2018

Staying at Kai was a woderful experience. The room consist in a cozy cabbin with a porch where you can sit and enjoy the ocean view, in the mornings they also bring you tea or coffee to start our day. It also has an amazing shower with a skylight roof and an additional shower on the outside of the room so you don´t have to deal with sand sitting around in your room.
The service on the beach was perfect and the food and juices were delicious
It's quite close to the ruins and the hotel has plenty of bikes available to get there, you can also ask for things to do around. We got plenty of recommendations regarding restaurants and cenotes, so ask!
Apart from that, the service is incredible and the staff very friendly and trustworthy
Overall it was a really nice experience in Tulum thanks to Kai. Definetely staying there again the next time we visit Tulum!

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

We split our holiday in half. Our first stay was AI resort in Playa del Carmen with a finish off with a 5 night stay in a beach cabana for a relaxing beach few days. (2 adults, 13&14 yr old). Beach house was a perfect size for length of stay. It was fresh, relaxing and a perfect spot. Staff were accommodating and friendly.
Our only issue was the sargassum/seaweed. Whilst not the hotels fault it did ruin our purpose .....ie family time on the beach and in the sea. We couldn’t do this. The sea isn’t swim able and the smell/odour v strong. We therefore had to replan (and spend $$$) finding other things to do - which wasn’t our intention or budget plan.
We ate breakfast at their beach restaurant everyday which was great (avocado toast with poached egg and goats cheese my fave) and had dinner one evening. (They seem to burn scented coals to distract from smell which worked) We got a taxi into centroTulum for the rest of our dinners (taxi 100 pesos)
We took their recommendations on cenote visits which were great and did serve as an alternative. However there is no denying I purchased the cabana on the basis that we weren’t going to move for 4-5 days and had spent many months dreaming of walking out of my room and strolling into the sea with little effort.
As we left there seemed to be more effort to clear the beach more quickly so would check on its progress.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Anniegroag
Reviewed 4 August 2018

My husband and I honeymooned at Kai in Tulum, and it was the best experience! From the food, to the service, to the location, we couldn’t have had a more perfect honeymoon. The restaurants at Villa Pescadores and Kai were fantastic (order the tuna at Kai; it was the best we’ve ever had). Their drinks were also delicious. The service at Kai was unmatched as well. They were always available via WhatsApp or by dropping in to reception. We had the best waitstaff. They knew us from day one, chatted with us anytime we were around, and made sure to let us know any pertinent information. Alejandro (Kai and VP), Socorro, and Yael were just a few of the people we met, but literally, everyone was kind, attentive, fun, and committed to excellent service. The location of Kai is unmatched. You are about a 60 second walk to the beach. Kai has beautiful shaded areas and cabana beds (right by the restaurant) that are steps from the ocean. We didn’t get in the ocean much, as there was a lot of seaweed, but the beautiful weather and sandy beach made up for it. We were also by the Tulum ruins, which was wonderful to tour. Overall, it was the best hotel experience we’ve ever had. On a final note: my husband got sick one day, and the entire resort made sure we were completely taken care of. They ordered a doctor to come to the cabana, sent a cab driver into town to pick up medications, and checked on him (asking about him by name) for the rest of our stay. The service truly made Kai the best. We can’t wait to come back!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank katelynenver
Reviewed 26 July 2018

Despite negative reviews, the experience my boyfriend and I had at Kai was amazing. Excellent staff and friendly service! The room was just as shown in the photos. Beautiful decor, clean and very comfortable. The grounds were also kept beautifully - even the sand was raked and cared for. The food - INCREDIBLE!

Our favorite part was waking up to fresh coffee and cookies delivered (to our specified time) every morning to our deck table. No one ever knocked on our door to come in for room cleaning - perfect because we love to sleep in! Also, our room was steps away from the beach and restaurant.

I can't say enough about the food! I have a chili allergy and was afraid that I would not be able to eat many items offered. The staff and kitchen were extremely accommodating and by day 3 they knew me - I didn't have to tell them about my allergy. My food was brought to me by the servers who explained that they left off a sauce or powder that contained chili. We were was absolutely impressed by the level of professionalism and it made my personal experience at Kai that much better! It also made my boyfriend (a chef) very happy to see me happy and enjoying the food. So THANK YOU restaurant staff!

Our least favorite part was not being able to enjoy the ocean due to an abundance of seaweed lining the coast, thus smells of rotten egg.
NOT THE HOTELS FAULT. Completely our fault for not doing the research. During the low season (Jun - Aug) the beaches are lined with seaweed from Cancun up past Tulum. If you did want to partake in ocean fun there are multiple boat rentals companies along the beach that will take you out past the seaweed and let you snorkel amongst the coral reefs! We didn't rent a boat but made up for the loss of ocean activities by heading over to one of the cenotes in Tulum - several cenotes located only a 15min cab ride from the hotel!

A few things to note:

- This is a minimal accommodations hotel.
- They do have Wifi but the service is slow and sometimes drops altogether
- There are no phones or TV's in the rooms.
- You can have the check-in desk order you a taxi
- There aren't a lot of working ATM's on the beach side of Tulum so it is best to get pesos from the downtown area or from the airport ATM's

This is a perfect place for couples and families that don't require a lot of attention. It is the perfect place to relax!

We can't wait to visit Kai again! See you soon Kai!!

Date of stay: June 2018