Book now, pay at stay
  • Breakfast included
US$535
US$522
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$717/night.

US$367
US$148
US$145
US$505
US$492
All reviewscasa bananala zebrabreakfast deliveredocean breezebanana breadevery morningbeach bedsbeach serviceeco lodgehanging bedssalt water showerstulum beachfresh fruitoutdoor showersea turtlesbeachfront bungalowour honeymoon
Reviewed 6 June 2015

Traveled to Tulum in late May 2015, my husband and I and another couple. It was a milestone birthday and I spent a lot of time researching and reviewing where I wanted to go. I poured over reviews here on TripAdvisor and am very pleased with our choice to stay at NVR. It is very much a small slice of rustic (and yet not) heaven.

Here was my criteria: oceanfront, nothing between me and the water, white beach, blue water, ample shade (for my husband), comfy sunning spots (for me), electricity, access to brilliant food, a private deck with hammock. We found all of that and more at NVR. What I particulary loved is how private it feels on the beach. Even though the resort was completely booked, we never felt crowded on the beach or felt the need to run out and save a spot. If you have looked at the pictures online, you have seen the hanging sofa beds (so nice!) and the thatche'd umbrellas, chairs and sofa bed. NVR does a great job with the seating...the beach is wide and lots of the seating is nestled in so while you may see another person, they aren't right beside you.

We chose oceanfront bungalow rooms and it was exactly as I had imagined. We stayed in #12 Alma's del Mar and our friends had #11 (eterno?). They are right beside each other on the beach but each was its own building. Neither has A/C but that was not a problem. The breeze from the ocean is quite incredible. In fact, I actually got up 2 of the 5 nights we were there and grabbed the blanket from the closet. Both rooms have a small fridge. Here are the differences: #11 is actually the closest to beach by about 6 ft. It is the smallest room but that delivers a kind of quaintness. The bed is literally right at the doors (what a view when you wake up!). However, there was no real closet or space to hang stuff up just shelves and the bathroom area was very open. Our room #12 was larger inside and out. The deck could actually hold 4 chairs. We had closet. There is a beautiful two,person shower done in blue mosaic tiles. When we stood on our deck, we could see the deck next door to the right. Since it was our friends, this was great but something to consider. I would stay in either of these rooms!

The only thing that slightly diminished my enjoyment was the seaweed. At the time we were there it was quite thick. Walking on the beach was a chore because of how thick it would be in some places. Some hotels did a better job thinning the seaweed but none were without it. They try to carry it off in wheelbarrows or bury it but it was a losing battle. Here's the good news: it's not slimy, or stinky!

We loved the little breakfast at Casa Banana. I adored La Zebra (right next door) for their guacamole and chips and huevos rancheros! I tried guacamole all up and down the beach strip and theirs was the best. If you want cocktail service, La Zebra is good but expensive. We actually went to the market and bought a cooler and cervesas so we could have drinks with us. The fridge was nice because we could keep them cold and not really worry about ice.

W spent most days lounging around the beach and our little slices of heaven. Wifi was readily available but not super strong (can't upload hundreds of pics but you could get 1 or 2 at a time!) We did book a tour through Nativo Tours and Gabriel was an excellent guide. Since we had a car, he joined us and took us to the Mayan Ruins (we paid extra to have a guide with us in the ruins), then snorkeling in the Dos Ojos cenotes which was unbelievable and truly something. To remember, lunch at a lagoon with more snorkeling (just ok..brackish water so underwater it looks oily) and then finally to swim with sea turtles which was also amazing! It was a full day tour and I highly recommend them.

I think we may make Tulum a place we return to regularly. And NVR. (Btw, renting a car was the way to go and NVR has dedicated parking spot for each of their rooms so it it was so nice to not have to worry about where to park!)

3  Thank cslater123
Reviewed 5 June 2015

This was our second trip to Tulum, and after much TA review reading, my husband and I decided to stay at Nueva Vida for four nights. Our primary requirement is that any room we book in Tulum must have aircon! We were booking a bit last minute so options to choose from were slim, we found this hotel after consulting a variety of sources. Note - not all rooms have AC.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at NV. The first night we stayed in the Lirio room (a garden room, 2nd floor) - it didn't have AC but that was only because we couldn't get a room with AC for all nights of our stay. The Lirio room was fine - clean, simple but well equipped. It had both an indoor and outdoor shower which was night, but we really didn't spend much time here. It was actually cooler than we expected in the evening too with the fans and open windows (with screens)- so that was nice.

Then we moved to the Sueno Caribeno room - this was great! We both really loved our room. It was large, with a king bed, AC in the evening (I think roughly 9pm to 8am) and a large bathroom. It was very spacious, and had vent shutters with screens on three sides of the room and a beautiful ocean view! It was so awesome to open the vents and get a cross-wind from all sides and hear the ocean. There was also a very sizeable porch on the side, which was nice too.Room was on the 2nd floor. The room was wonderful, spacious, and close to the beach - were we to stay here again we would happily choose this room! One note on the AC, it was a requirement we had, but with the limited hours it was available and fans, we noticed it didn't really make much of a difference. Oh, and it had a small fridge, which we weren't expecting to be there after a little back and forth with the hotel with our need for a fridge for some medication. Also note that this hotel has electricity which many in the area do not in rooms. We appreciate that! :)

The hotel - Overall, the hotel was quiet. We didn't see too many other guests, and the beach was very quiet. There are little sand paths in the jungle between the bungalow rooms. They are lit at night which is nice, though it can be a bit confusing to make your way to your room at first, but we figured it out. We also had rented a car and it seems each room comes with a parking space which was really nice.

The Beach - The beach set up was great! There were hanging, covered mattresses that also had two chairs and a little table. They also had some mattresses on the beach. With few guests on the beach, we easily had our pick! There wasn't really a beach attendant however, and often asked the lifeguard on duty for help.

Which, I'll bring to our biggest con for our stay - while there was supposed to be a beach attendant for food and drink, we only saw him once. He was there our first day, at the exact point we didn't want anything, but when we did, we never saw him again. While we totally get that this is a low key and boutique hotel, we did expect that we would be able to order some food and drinks while on the beach, and ultimately while the beach had a great setup chair-wise, we ended up going to other locations where we would get more regular service.

The hotel does not have a restaurant on-site, but does have a partnership of some kind with Casa Banana across the street. This is where breakfast is. Whats included? Fruit, bread, coffee and juice. Nice, but we usually ended up ordering something additional at Casa Banana to share to have a little more substantial breakfast.

Overall it was a nice hotel - the staff was friendly and accommodating. The location within the beach road was pretty good, a little south of the middle, but easy to get around with bikes or cars. Rooms were nice and well appointed (electricity!) for what tends to be a more minimal area in general. We enjoyed our stay, would definitely choose the Sueno Caribeno room again, though with so many hotel choices in Tulum, would probably check out some other options in the future

Room Tip: Get the Sueno Caribeno room!
1  Thank Lauren C
Reviewed 27 May 2015 via mobile

What can I even say about this place that would do it justice? Amazing. Romantic. Charming. Rustic. MAGICAL!!! NVDR is pure heaven and I will return as soon as I possible can.

Details:

Room: We stayed in #12 “Alma del Mar” and will stay here again if possible. It’s a sweet little beach bungalow with a palapa roof that’s literally steps from the sand. There’s no AC but we had the front door open whenever we were there and awake and the breeze was great; no need for AC. At night we closed the door and used only the fan provided and it was fine. The balcony was pretty big with two chairs, a table and a hammock. It’s basically the most relaxing porch on Earth as far as I’m concerned! Do yourself a favor and remember to ask for your breakfast to be delivered to your room so you can eat it on the porch. Its’ lovely! The bed was super comfy and you could see the ocean while relaxing in bed if you have the door open. Another thing I loved about the room were all the little details that made it that much more charming. A few things to note about the room: 1)There is only 1 plug to charge phones, cameras, etc. It’s fine though. We didn’t need out phones much and therefore were always able to keep everything charged. 2)The shower water is brackish. Not a big deal either. It gives your hair that nice beachy look. 3) The toilet area separated from the main room by doors, but there is a large gap in the ceiling area since the palapa roof is exposed. This part made me nervous at first since it was a romantic vacation and no body wants to share what goes on in the toilet area ;). It wasn’t a big deal though. With the door open and the nice ocean breeze you couldn’t even hear the toilet flush. 4) WIFI is spotty in the room and beach. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. If you have an emergency it always worked In the Lobby area and the restaurant Casa Banana.

Location: PERFECT!!! In my opinion it’s on the best stretch of beach in Tulum. The beach is wide and long and there was so much room for guests of NVDR to spread out and relax. They have these covered daybed/swings that are super comfortable. We never had trouble claiming our favorite one. There’s plenty of room for everyone and no need for the “towel game”. Within a 10 minute walk there are plenty of restaurants, beach clubs, shops, yoga classes, massage places, etc. Go either way on the beach or the jungle road and you’ll have plenty to explore. Don’t miss the fish tacos and the sweet dog at La Eufemia (about a 7 minute walk left of the hotel by way of the beach), and the Sunday night salsa party at La Zebra (two hotels to the right). There’s also a little convenience store that’s about a five minute walk if you want to get water, snacks, drinks, etc.

Service: Every single person we met who worked here was super friendly and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. The front desk kept track of our arrivals and departures and helped us arrange for transportation when necessary. It was also very comforting that they had security guards keeping track of your room number when you left and returned at night to make sure that everything was ok. My only complaint was that there was only beach service one day while we were there. It ended up being ok because the front desk let us borrow a cooler so we made our own drinks. It ended up saving us money, but it would have been nice to have the option more often. The breakfast they serve is very simple and good and was plenty of food. They give you coffee, fresh juice, a warm baguette with jam and butter, and a small piece of delicious banana bread. You can either eat this at Casa Banana which is just across the road, or have it delivered to your room where you can eat it on your porch. We preferred it delivered but only remembered to arrange it one time so most of the time we ate at Casa Banana. Apparently you can also get vouchers to have breakfast at La Zebra. We never did though.

Last note: This is not an fancy, American style, "all the comforts of home" hotel. It's rustic and lovely and in my opinion SO much better than a big, fancy, modern resort. However, if you need a hairdryer turndown service, and a TV, etc. this place isn't for you.

I can not recommend this place enough. It has everything you want in a hotel in Tulum and will make your vacation wonderful! Enjoy!!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Roxstar11
Reviewed 27 May 2015

Nueva Vida is fantastic. The beachfront rooms we had were just perfect & magical. Clean, simple, lovely. The beach is fantastic and the hanging beach beds are so relaxing and wonderful. I have friends who have been coming to Tulum for 20 plus years and they recommended this place to us as one of the hotels with the original Tulum vibe. As you go along the road or beach you can see the influx of fancy hotels and a bit of over saturation. So this place is truly a gem.
The only thing that disappointed us was the lack of service. Specifically beach service, it's so nice to get a drink on the beach. We were told someone comes by but it only happened once. Also, we were never offered a voucher for Zebra. The continental breakfast @ Casa Banana is very good but I'm disappointed we weren't even offered this voucher. Also, Casa Banana is so busy and never seemed to remember us when we tried to get a drink or bite to bring down to the beach. We felt maybe everyone was burnt out from the season and we weren't really paid attention to by the management/staff. We are very low maintenance people who don't complain about anything but we were a little disappointed as I said. I would come back and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms, the breeze is exceptional
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank palma1944
nvrami, Manager at Nueva Vida de Ramiro, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2015

Dear Palma 1944:

Thank you truly for your review, we are very sorry that you did not receive the service you should have at the beach, we have passed your review to the management at Casa Banana for them to make the necessary arrangements for this not to happen again. All reviews are important to help us out and improve in every way we can. We thank you that you would return and recommend us regardless of this. Sending you the best wishes...

Reviewed 25 May 2015

this was our 4th stay there. nothing to say that others haven't said. LOVE the swinging beds. It doesn't get any better than that. This time we were in # 1. Ate at the Banana several times, always good. Office staff was very helpful with helping me on the computer. There's just something about that place, that makes you want to come back.

1  Thank islandtime111