“Great Resort”

Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Ranked #77 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Overall experience was good. We stayed in the Adult only section cleaning service was not great. Unless you left a tip daily you don't get the full service...like to little touches. Warning though they do have bed bugs. Didn't realize until I got home that we had been bitten by bed bigs bites and not sand fleas.
Probably would not good back. The next place I stay I will check the room for bed bugs first. Don't unpack leave your things in your luggage and place the suit cases in the bath tub or bring large plastic garbage bags and keep your luggage in them for the duration of your stay. Not a joke It works!
Do not open your luggage on the bed.

5  Thank Amejoe
There are newer reviews for Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort

Reviewed 24 February 2012

My wife and I have just returned from the GSP. This is our second visit and both times staying at the Platinum section. This is my first time writing a travel review " EVER". I feel compelled to say that our stay was beyond compare. For those who have nothing good to say about the GSP please stop complaining and stay at another resort. Leave this little slice of paradise to those who can appreciate the efforts of so many fantastic who make the place just amazing. From Alvaro at check-in, to Karen,Lupita and Collo at the Platinum lounge and from Juana for room attention. We both wanted to say thank you for making our vacation another memorable time. The personal attention you showed us made our stay very special. We will be back.
Already playing another trip.
We cannot find a single fault with this resort in any way at all.

5  Thank Globaltravellertc
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I sent to Mexico Feb 11-18th and stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess in the Yakatan Platium section and came home with about 200 bed bug bites all over my body, and the beach was the worst I ever seen, the water was really ruff which make the seaweed wash up on shore and it really stinks. Very rocky and dark water, had to walk a mile down the beach to another resport if I wanted to swim.

Now worth the money, the food was not the greatest and the service wasn't anything to talk about. Go elsewhere!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank cfarnel
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed at GSP February 10th for one week. This was our second visit to the GSP and stayed in the Platinum section. Prior to arrival I emailed the resort and requested rooms close together as we were travelling with family.

Upon arrival we were placed in the exact same room as our first visit which we really appreciated however our other family were placed in the GRP Platinum building. We were told that there was nothing available in order to change rooms and to check back the following morning.

We walked back to our room and I emailed the guest services from the platinum lobby and explained our predicament and within a few minutes received a response indicating that our family would in fact be moved the following morning. I wasn’t going to hold my breath but fingers were crossed. The following morning I spoke with the Platinum concierge and he advised that the room next to ours was now available for our family to move to. They quickly grabbed their belongings from the GRP and within minutes were moved into the room next to us. This was orchestrated by Gina Gonzalez who is the director of public relations for the GSP/GRP. She along with the platinum concierge staff went above and beyond and we are very grateful for their efforts.

The weather was excellent for our stay. The beach was good but there was some seaweed each morning which was usually removed by noon. If you enter the ocean in front of the lifeguard tower you can avoid most rocks and coral. We split our time between the beach and the platinum pool. I am an early riser so I was down at the beach reading my book by 7am. I did notice that there were always loungers available even at 10am. My only criticism was that they have increased the amount of vendors on the beach. They do not block the view of the ocean in front of the platinum, Chill Out or adults only sections of beach but they do block the other portion of beach. Contrary to other reviews we did not find the vendors to be aggressive at all and didn’t see any time share people. The platinum pool does not open until 8am and they will remove belongings if you try to reserve a lounger prior to 8am.

The buffet food was good. It got a little repetitive by week’s end but this seems to be the case at most resorts. If you ate at the GSP snack bar where Las Olas and Fondue are located platinum guests have the option of eating from the buffet for breakfast and lunch or ordering off of a menu. For dinner we ate at the Miso (Oriental), La Hacienda (Mexican), Mamma Mia (Italian), La Vaqueria (grill) and La Fleur (international). The grill and international were excellent. We ate 2 nights at the main buffet. The staff at the a la cartes and the buffet were also very good, they work hard and appreciate a tip but don’t expect it.

As mentioned we stayed in the same room as our previous trip. We had a great view of the sunset from our 3rd floor room. The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff did a nice job. There was also a crib for our little one. Platinum guests get free use of the internet at the platinum lobby as well as free wifi. Premium liquor is also available plus a small bar with sandwiches etc.

We like to walk but I routinely read negative comments about this resort in terms of its size. It doesn’t faze us one bit. I timed the walk while pushing a stroller from the platinum lobby to the main GSP lobby. It took 7 minutes. Add another 2 minutes and you’re at the beach, not 20 minutes like some people claim.

Our last trip here was in October 2010. I wondered if the resort would have shown signs of age and was surprised that it had not. I do miss the pristine beaches in other areas of the Caribbean but our group truly enjoyed ourselves and will likely return.

Room Tip: Platinum section rooms are worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank csbrew
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed at the GSP during the week of February 15-22, 2012. Despite the stunning grounds and beautiful architecture, our enjoyment of this lovely resort was diminished by the powerful moldy odor that came from the air conditioner in our Platinum room. We could hardly breathe in there and were told that it was a combination of the humidity and the nearby mangrove swamp. In fact, the "gift" for the Platinum room was an incense burner! We begged for another room and were told there were no other rooms available anywhere in the resort. On the second afternoon, someone came and put some chlorine in the air conditioner. This helped for two days and then the mold and bacteria odor built up again. I cannot see how this can be healthy for guests. There was a lovely fruit basket in our room when we arrived, which we did not eat due to the odor. I don't know if the rooms on the other side of the building have that smell, but our room overlooked the service road and chain link fence.
Wifi was good in the lobby of the Platinum lounge, but only available in the toilet area in our room. There is an extra charge for the pillow menu. The creaky rubber mattress covers made us think of our early childhood. The jacuzzi is nice.
The Platinum pool is a little gem of a place with fine service and a great bartender. Staff in the Platinum lobby were wonderful.
We didn't use the other pools on the resort but they looked beautiful. Lots of chairs seemed to be available.
The buffet was decent, and food was presented nicely. We really enjoyed some of the a la cartes, notably La Fleur and Vaqueria. Food was excellent and we had great service.
The beach at the GSP was disappointing. There were lots of lounge chairs and nice palapas in the Platinum section and good bar service, but it was crowded. There was a great deal of litter along the beach and huge volumes of washed-up seaweed. Although the seaweed is not the fault of the resort, they were very slow to try and clean it up. They need a tractor to groom the beach instead of a few guys with rakes. Getting into the water is difficult without water shoes. The ocean floor there is extremely rocky. You have to go a long way out before the water is deep enough to swim, and you have to watch for rocks.
The GSP has a gorgeous plaza for special events and entertainment.
Although there are many really nice aspects of this resort, I would not return mainly because of the smell in the room.

3  Thank SilverBarrie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
6.4 km away
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
27.2 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
30.1 km away
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort? Share your experiences!