“My favorite place in the entire world”
Review of Petit Lafitte

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #6 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Tulsa, OK
“My favorite place in the entire world”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My review is admittedly biased - I have been visiting Petit Lafitte and its predecessor Posada del Capitan Lafitte for about 25 years (since I was three years old) so some of my fondest memories growing up were at the old Lafitte. However, Petit Lafitte continually exceeds the high expectations I had formed from my years as a guest at Capitan Lafitte. After reading some of the negative reviews on this site, although there are very few, I feel like it is my duty to defend my friends at Petit Lafitte.

First and foremost, what sets PL apart from any other hotel is the people. Every single member of the staff is very friendly, incredibly kind and completely trustworthy. I read one review that said money was stolen. I simply don't believe it. I would welcome each of them into my own home with open arms. David, the concierge, is world class and has been around the place forever. He takes time to meet and greet guests, learn their names and make any accommodations they desire (or that he can think of). Ivan is an excellent manager with a lot of passion for the place and the people, and a perfect understanding of how to run a hotel and solve problems. His cousin, whose name I can't remember at the moment but who is in training to run operations, is extremely friendly and outgoing and has the same passion as Ivan. Jesus and Victor have been there as long as I can remember and are great bartenders, not to mention quick-witted and easy to talk to. The wait staff - Baldemar, Martin, Frijol, Javier and others - are good at their jobs and quick with a joke and a smile. Everyone pitches in where needed, and I like knowing that so many of the staff have worked at PL since the days they were at Capitan!

Next is the place. The Playa del Carmen of 20 years ago was a small town with a ferry port to Cozumel and a lush jungle with pristine beaches. There were not massive all-inclusive hotels lining the beaches and restaurants and shops lining every street. Capitan Lafitte (plus tent city and Kaiilum) had nothing for a mile on either side but beach and jungle. Petit Lafitte is family owned and operated, and they have tremendous respect for the land on which the resort is located and the history of the area. The zoo and jungle are a reminder of what used to be, and the grounds are meticulously cared for. The rooms are absolutely perfect. They are always clean, comfortable and well maintained. I can't imagine anything more charming than the beach bungalows, but we have visited the rooms and they're very nice as well.

Next is the food. We are foodies - we cook all the time, travel around the country just to visit the hottest new restaurants, and really enjoy every type of cuisine. We LOVE the food at PL. It may be simple, but it is always fresh and delicious. Breakfast is a treat (huevos motulenos, try them), but lunch for me is the standout. The tacos are incredible, the chicken soup is to die for, and I think if I could choose my last meal would be chips, guacamole, pico de gallo and garlic sauce. About dinner: every morning at breakfast I like to look at the dinner menu so I can think about what I'm going to have that evening. I am allergic to shellfish and not once have I had to order something special for dinner, because there is always an option like beef, chicken or pork. In the past I have looked at the menu and thought to myself "hmm, neither of those options sounds very good" but I have always been pleasantly surprised. Now that I'm thinking about it, add pork pibil to my last meal. Gaspar is a great chef and I believe the food has improved greatly over the past five or so years.

I guess the best story I can tell to illustrate what a great place it is happened on our honeymoon. We were taking a long honeymoon and my husband thought it would be fun to split up our vacation between two resorts, the first week at the Tides Riviera Maya and then 10 days at PL. We were unimpressed with the room, service and food at Tides and decided after only one night to look for another hotel. We went to La Reve to inquire about a room and they were very kind but informed us that since there was a hurricane coming they were closing and could not check in any other guests at that time as they were evacuating everyone into town. HUH?! A hurricane?! The Tides hadn't even told us a hurricane was coming. We marched right down the beach to PL and asked if they would mind checking us in a week early, and they told us that it was no problem of course, to enjoy the resort that day and be ready for evacuation into town after dinner that evening. There were only 7 guests at the hotel, and that night we had a lovely dinner with Ivan, the manager, who stayed to see us off despite the fact that it was his birthday! David accompanied our group into town after dinner, got us settled into the hotel and retreived us the next morning when the hurricane had passed. THAT is great service.

The bottom line is, if you don't enjoy this place, you either came with the wrong expectations or YOU are the problem. It would be impossible not to enjoy the unique charm of this place and its wonderful people.

Room Tip: The bungalows that back up to the pool and/or kitchen come with some noise if you prefer to leave yo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ttowngal
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear ttowngal,

Wow!!!
You left me completely speechless and moved. I dont think there is a lot to respond to somebody like you and your "esposo" (I hate the fact that I can not use your real names on the responses). But hey, eventhough it is easy to suspect that somebody who returns many times to the same spot, has developed feelings and emotions for the place, It is soooo moving to hear you put it in words.
I dont feel I can say anything, It is just perfect the way you present your experience.
I just would like to say Thank you and to assure you that your sentiments and affection are reciprocated.
You've certainly become extended family to us.

God Bless you both,

Iván A. Fuentes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 27 February 2012

When we arrived at Petit Lafitte, we checked in to a slow-paced, calm atmosphere. Next, instead of having us stay in the main hotel portion, they upgraded us to one of their bungalows. The bungalow was perfect, just a few steps from the beach.

We had the half-inclusive package: Breakfast and dinner were included, lunch and drinks were not.

The food was the best part, ranging from Chicken Sopes to Ceviche and pablano pepper soup...delicious.

Davide made our stay a breeze. When we had an issue with renting a car, he acted as liason for us, solving our problems.

I would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Playa del Carmen is a short cab ride away or about a half hour walk down the beach.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hansfrue2
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Hansfrue2,

We are very glad to hear that you found your vacation with us to be an "Extreme Pleasure."
We appreciate your kind review and your collaboration in creating this experience with us.
After all, we are only one half of the equation.
Feel free to tell your friends about us and to return as many times as possible.
We will serve you Ceviche, Poblano Pepper soup and sopes as much as you want...
Hey, Ice-cold-beer and a hammock also.

Take care and thank you again.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We enjoyed our stay very much. Quiet, friendly with great food. Lots of choice. Far enough away from the Playa Carmen crowd but close enough if you want it.

Room Tip: We loved the bugalows
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank William M
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear William M,

We appreciate that you took the time to write a review, even if it was brief.
We are able to gather you enjoyed the simplicity and the quality of Petit Lafitte.
And yes, you are right, we are 15 minutes away (by car) from Playa del Carmen, still far enough that we dont have ambulant, beach vendors, boom boxes and the regular city beach elements.
It is as you say, quiet and friendly.

Thanks again for your review.

Truly,

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and i just came back from a wonderful holiday at petite Lafitte. If your looking for a more intimate experience in a beautiful part of Mexico then this small hotel would be the perfect choice. Our time spent here was second to none. The food was delicious and the service was personal in that we felt we really knew the staff by weeks end and they cater to your every need. Perhaps the nicest beach in the area and definitely the quietest with a cozy beach bar.We bumped into so many guests who were repeat customers. If your into the all-inclusive experience this is probably not for you. This place caters to those looking for an alternative experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good in this hotel. It only has 30 rooms and about 10 cabins.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank andrew m
Dear Andrewm,

I hope your return to Edmonton, was a gentle process, after yout stay with us at Petit Lafitte, we are happy to hear your opions about us, and even happier that you decided to post a review on Trip Advisor.
As you point out, we cater to guests looking for an alternative, presonalized, experience, with great food, cozy enviroment on a very nice, beach and hard to find service. We have been awarded recently Tri Advisor's Travelers Choice Award for Service. So thank you for stressing that.
I hope you become one of those repeat costumers that you mention in your review.
We'd be happy to see that happen.

Iván Fuentes.
Mexico
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Petit Lafitte is a charming small hotel located in one of the most quiet beaches in Riviera Maya, excellent for kids or couples. The service by the Mayan staff is superb and meals delicious.

Room Tip: The Cabanas are the best option for families, it includes an extra bed.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Hunabku2012
Dear hunabku 2012,

Thank you very much for your visit and also for your brief, but very nice review.
We will continue working towards maintaining the quality of service and the charm of this little family operated resort.

We hope to see you and your family again.

Maybe we play some more music over an ice cold beer and ceviche !

Best Regards