Well, I waited on writing this review for a few weeks until the glow from the vacation had worn off and I could be a bit more objective about the hotel. But even now, about the only thing I would really change is to stay there longer. In short, we had an absolutely wonderful time.
First off, we did our research – in addition to all the reviews here (thank you TA’ers) , we looked at other sites and really made sure that we were getting what we wanted. We had not been to PDC before, and wanted everything to go well. So first we looked everywhere, and when we settled on El Taj we booked through the company so that we knew what we were getting. We wanted the view, and that’s what made sure we were getting.
(To respond to a previous reviewer, you got mislead by your travel company, not by the hotel. And to clarify about the “walk across the street” for those who have not been there, the street is a cobblestone street with barely room to fit two cars, with a traffic flow of maybe 15 cars an hour, and those traveling about 10mph. In addition there are doormen stationed on both sides. There is no safety issue. The entire trek to the beach is one small city block.)
The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of PDC on the beach – a short couple of blocks we were on 5th Ave with all its choices for food and shopping.
We booked unit 336, on the top level on the beach (as you are looking from the pool to the beach, it is the right hand wing). Yea, it’ll do. 3 bedroom, 3 bath, new construction, all the conveniences – full kitchen, plenty of cookware and utensils. Big bottled water cooler. The deck upstairs was also nicely done up – the built in sofa under a palapa, the lounge chairs, the Jacuzzi. Along of this was a nicely equipped outdoor kitchen with grill, sink, fridge, etc. The roof deck had reasonably good privacy and an AWESOME unobstructed view.
Back to the main floor – everything is built very well, with a lot of attention paid to the finishing touches. It is tastefully decorated and maintained well. The master bedroom has an unobstructed view of the ocean, and is a good sized room with en-suite bathroom. All the rooms had TV and cable, and there were Homedock radios in the rooms.
The other two bedrooms were done similarly, though the views were not as nice, but both with en-suite bathrooms and TVs and individual thermostats. (The third bedroom shares its bathroom with an entry from the hallway). All in all, the living areas had no real shortcomings – even the balcony had plenty of seating, whether for cocktails or breakfast in the morning. All, once again, with an unobstructed view of the beach and ocean.
The service could not have been more friendly or helpful. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome. We checked in with Miriam and Ricardo and were given a detailed tour of the suite, in a friendly and informative way by Salvador. Almost every time we passed an employee of the hotel we were greeted with a smile and friendly “Hola”. The ladies who cleaned the suite – I remember Carmen - were always friendly, discreet and efficient. One nice aspect was the little wheel of choices on the door – we could opt from the simple just swap out the towels and make the bed to a full clean – and they would even do the windows!
We availed ourselves of the spa services (Rosario and Beatriz), concierge (Teresa and William) for tours, Indigo for Dinner one night, and the beach club during the day. All were well run, the people were friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed it all.
As for the perennial complaints of boats on the beach and noise from the clubs – the boats were there, but honestly I think they add to the charm. And for anyone to complain that they have to walk down the beach 100 yards to get into the water seems silly to us.
The noise I can see being an issue for some, in honesty. We did hear the clubs some nights – our room was up high enough and along the outside wall so that the sound could reach it unobstructed. But between the central air fan, and my phone’s white noise app it didn’t bother us. But for those who are more sensitive, maybe a lower floor or the other wing would provide a little more shelter from the club music.
We had a wonderful time in PDC in general, and a lot of that has to do with El Taj specifically. We are looking forward to returning next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Taj Condo Hotel consists of 57 spacious condos situated on 2 separate properties in front of the beach. El Taj oceanfront is directly on the beach and El Taj Beachside is across the street. Guests get to use all the on site amenities including our exclusive beach club. We offer 2 incredible heated pools. The relaxing heated pool on Beachside property is an exotic black mosaic infinity pool with an extra large Jacuzzi while the oceanfront heated pool sits right on the beach in front of our exclusive beach club. We're located in the most liveliest area of Playa that offers the convenience of having the best restaurants, nightlife and shopping within one block from your vacation home.Each Condominium offers expansive floor plans and superb finishes. The Beachside condos have private terraces that are surrounded by exotic plants, Lilly ponds and all face the pool and cascading waterfalls. All the penthouse units in El Taj Beachside feature ocean views from the private roof decks. All the oceanfront units have views of the ocean.Each condo comes with fully equipped kitchens and the finest details including flat screen TVs in all the rooms. We provide the same services usually associated with some of the finest hotels. Our designers traveled the globe to Indonesia trying to recreate an environment reminiscent to Bali. . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Taj Oceanfront And Beachside Condo Hotel
- El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel Riviera Maya, Mexico - Playa Del Carmen