4,417 results
All reviewslos muralestime sharethomas moorelap poolstaco partydive balamprime rib nightall inclusive packageall inclusive guestsfull kitchenwelcome partyshrimp tacosall inclusive planpool barroom servicefree shuttleorder off the menu
Reviewed 26 October 2012

It is beautiful, but hard to get around, especially to Playa--unless you take a cab---We also stay in Cancun and it is a much better place --you can catch a bus any where--now you have to wait for shuttles and they are so limited..
Weather was great in Oct --we only had a brief show about an hour the whole week

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We made the mistake of staying at this low quality weird kind of place. But firstly some of the good points the complex offers. The grounds are nice, pools are very good with an okay beach out front. The on site scuba centre was by far the most professional and best experience that we encountered.
As for the rest of it, the food is pretty bad throughout the breakfast and dining areas. That is if your early enough. After eight o'clock the whole place feels more like a large morgue - the bar is tiny and inside with absolutely no atmosphere or people. Basically 95% of guests seem to shop en bulk from Walmart and watch tv each evening. This place is convenient if your elderly or have young kids and is a complete apartment style experience.
That's fine but the staff really take the biscuit right through the complex. When checking in you have to take the room they provide no matter what. We were staying in a place that was 90% empty and in the worst rooms on offer and at no time where we allowed to switch no matter if we offered to pay more etc.
then the prison experience - the complex is located a taxi distance from anywhere and consequently your not allowed to leave - LET me repeat you are not allowed a taxi unless you tell the valet where your going. We were warned by another company that we were considering buying a vacation club off that they do this.
I couldn't believe what was happening the valet ordered my parents out of a taxi because we didn't want a sales pitch whilst getting a taxi. For 30 minutes my parents stood outside a taxi whilst this muppet refused to let them leave the complex. He even tried to lie and stated that it wasn't safe - we've previously driven a hire car throughout the yucatan and told him straight up that he was a lier.
In the end as the desk manager ignored my presence still leaving us stranded, I started to announce my attention to contact trip advisor about this debacle. Within two minutes we were escorted to a taxi. Thank you trip advisor because it was only after we mentioned the site that we were allowed to leave the complex unmolested.
Obviously we won't be back, there are such better places close by with normal staff..
It's taken a while to write this as I'd prefer not to remembering staying in that twilight zone.

Room Tip: You won't get one unless your part of or going to buy into their timeshare scheme!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank fergalandorna
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

Thank you for the kind words about our resort grounds and facilities. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed a great scuba experience at our diving center.

Having said that, I offer you a sincere apology for the way you felt treated by the concierge staff. Unfortunately you didn't provide additional details so we won't be able to locate the exact staff member that acted this way. Nevertheless, I passed a copy of your comments to concierge management at The Royal Haciendas in order to review the service provided by all staff and make sure a situation like this does not happen again.

Warm regards,

Camilo Olea
Community Manager
Royal Resorts

Reviewed 24 October 2012

My wife and I just spent 5 days there. RH is a very nice, very large facility with all of the usual amenities that you would expect to find in this type of beachfront resort. The service is very good, the staff are very friendly, and maintenance is immaculate.

This is a time share property so all of the rooms are split with an efficiency (B) side with two double beds joined by a lock-out door to a larger (A) side with full living area, kitchen, and king size private bedroom. If you are only renting one side of the unit it would be important to know which side you're on, particularly if you need a private bedroom, or if you need real kitchen facilities.

There is a convenience store on site that is large and well stocked along with two restaurants. The Los Murales restaurant is a more formal sit down venue and there is also a beachfront restaurant La Palapa del Sol that offers buffet for all three meals along with a dinner menu. Both restaurants are nice, we did not feel that the Los Murales was worth a repeat performance. The Palapa del Sol was great two out of three times and that was just the buffet. If you're a wine connoisseur you will be disappointed at either so bring a few nice bottles for your room. Missing is a small convenient place to grab a coffee or something fast on the go, I guess they assume everyone will prepare that stuff in their rooms? I think the poolside bars serve food at certain times as well, but we did not eat there.

There are two large courtyards open to the beach that are separated by a row of units. Each with its own very large pool, poolside bar, whirlpool spas, kiddie pools, and so on. Our side also had a nice lap pool if you're a swimmer and want a workout. The pools were great and the pool side bars were a fun place to hang out and meet people. We only went on the beach and into the ocean once to check it out. I'm not a beach/sand guy, but it is very nice with lounges and umbrellas all set up for residents.

The Thomas Moore tour company is stationed right in the lobby and we booked a tour with them. It was fast, efficient, reasonable and the tour of Coba/Cenote/Mayan Village was very nice. There's also a spa and fitness center that we did not get to so I can't comment. There are on-site activities including a dive boat with scuba equipment and training available.

My only reason for not giving this property 5 stars is because it is isolated and you need to take a cab to get to anything off-site. Playa del Carmen's 5th Ave has a very vibrant night life that goes until 5 AM. There's also a huge variety of shopping and restaurants. If you like the night life and a more walkable location you might give up the beach and stay at the other Royal property that is down town Playa del Carmen?

Room Tip: Make sure you know if you are booking the A or B side if you are not getting the entire unit.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Visited the Mayan Rivera in October 2012 and had a great time. Stayed at the Royal Hacienda and received great service with a smile. The staff was attentive and assistance with many local excursions were easily made available. If you like rain October here is great, regardless we had many sunny days of snorkeling & swimming at Xel-Ha, Xplore & Tulum. The water was warm, 82 degrees and so was the weather 83-87 degrees. For an affordable vacation with high quality i would recommend staying here. One down side if you like a lot of restaurants on site. There are 2 very good restaurants on site but you might plan on exploring the town as you will have many more options there. Stay off 5th ave for food because it is a little pricey but great food options are everywhere. For great modern Mexican bohemian style menus try Cueva Del Chunga on 38 st Playa del Carmen. This will be a memorable experience, but one word of caution very few places have AC so when you go may matter. All in all one of my favorite destinations.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I was referred to this resort from a friend and am very picky about where to stay. I have to admit the photos I found online were ok but didn't really give me as much of an idea as I expected. We took our chances anyway on his recommendation and wow, were we glad we did! It was amazing. The rooms are VERY nice, (big, granite in the full kitchen, nice linens, clean) the food and drinks are great and the atmosphere is wonderful. There are several pools and the beach has both a roped off area to snorkel with rocks that draw the beautiful colorful fish and sea urchins as well as another that is clear, sandy bottom for just swimming. You can also use their kayaks and other water gear. No one is on the beach nagging you to buy stuff or get your hair braided -- a big plus! There are two huge heated whirlpools outdoors as well as a jacuzzi tup on the balcony of the room (may not be all rooms so check). There are two outdoor pool bars that are swim up bars (order right from in the water!) and a beautiful beachside very large restaurant. The restaurant has a theme every night and on the buffet nights for example, there might be all Carribbean feast or all Asian bbq. On most days they have activities like an opening party with limbo and drinks, prizes, etc., pottery making, Spanish lessons - the list is endless and posted outside of each lobby area with each day and time. All of it was wonderful but I can't say enough about the SPA! In the U.S. we have spas but nothing like this. While you are waiting for treatment you are in the lounge with a heated shoulder and neck wrap on a chaise with your legs under a bolster pillow! I chose the aromatherpy massage and the foot relief massage (after walking all day in Playa downtown) and OMG.....fantastico! There is a jacuzzi tub, sauna and steam room as well for your use. There is a FREE shuttle that takes you into town each day except Saturday. It runs until 630pm and taxis can be taken back to the resort after 6:30 for about $12US. The absolute only negative is that the residential areas of the town are so depresssed, which is common amoung the Caribbean and Mexican Riviera I have found. I could go on and on but instead will say I can't wait to go back. :)

Room Tip: Ask about the suites vs. the regular smaller rooms and be sure to check to see if the balcony has a jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family