“Another Amazing Stay”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #11 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We returned to the Royal to stay for the second time after having an incredible experience the first and it was another amazing & wonderful anniversary spent here. We were greeted with some familiar faces from our first stay and some new faces. Our concierge was Adolfo and he was the best from the check in to our last day - the room we upgraded to was leaking due to the storm so he helped us out right away by switching our rooms for us as soon as possible. Also, the bellboy Hernando was extremely helpful as well with moving our luggage around to each room despite the rain. The next day, we noticed there was no DVD player in our room and Adolfo was extremely kind to have one requested and set up for us with no problem. For the 7 nights we stayed at the Royal, Adolfo also made sure our room was ready for us with the romantic turndown and some personalized decorations for my husband and I.

As usual, the food was amazing at each and every restaurant the resort has to offer with incredible staff from the managers, chefs, hostesses, to waiters. My husband and I's personal favorite, however, would have to be Maria Maria thanks to Diego, Chef Pasto, Vincenle, Diana, Vicky, Leo, Eulisa, and Marcos. The Grand Maniner Souffle is a must here and part of the reason why I come back.

Thank you to everyone at the Royal for making our stay pleasant and once again memorable. Even for a vacation, it felt like coming home with the welcome we got from all of the staff here. We will definitely be seeing everyone again next year.

Room Tip: ocean view upgrades are available at the front desk
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kieunga N
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Kieunga N,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We are very happy to hear that it was a great experience for you, and that you found our staff to be very helpful and attentive, this will motivate us to keep doing our best job!
Thank you for choosing us to spend your vacation. Also we would like to mention that we really appreciate your great point of view!
We are looking forward to host you again very soon it will be an honor for us to pamper you once again!

There are newer reviews for The Royal Playa del Carmen

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is an adults only resort with five restaurants that are very good. My favorite was the sushi restaurant and the buffet. The staff is amazing, always making you feel welcome and accommodating. I loved hanging by the pool and the beach was beautiful.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear wkgmom41,

We really appreciate this review. We are very happy to hear that it was a great experience for you, and that you found our staff to be very helpful and attentive, this will motivate us to keep doing our best job! Thank you for choosing us to spend your vacation.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again in your Second Home, “THE Royal Playa del Carmen”.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Lots of shopping and many others by the sea makes this a very unique destination. Plenty of restaurants and lodging.allows one to venture out without need of a vehicle. A cab ride would be sufficient for most other places.

Stayed: September 2016
2  Thank Willis H
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This was our third visit to the Royal! We were married here in 2013. I was a bit concerned there might be changes since Hyatt took over but it seems like most everything is the same great way I remember it.

This time we had a swim up in the green lawn courtyard. I recommend a swim up for anyone staying here - it's so worth every penny. These swim ups have the most hours of sun- all morning and all the way thru the evening. It is quiet you can't hear the noisy pool on the other side. One negative you don't get service for drinks at the swim ups in this location. I called the front desk to ask and she said no- kind of wish she would have offered to send someone over though.

I love the quiet pool. They didn't play the relaxing music they used to though. The big party pool is too rowdy for me most of the time and usually has much warmer water. Another reason for a swim up!

A few days into our stay we moved to an ocean front swim up and we were super happy we could get it booked cuz we honeymooned there! We love them because you get the walk up service and you can hear and see the ocean and there are not any walk by's. Great for couples. For most of our stay hardly anyone else was around so it was nice and quiet and relaxing. You can walk to the cabanas easily when you want shade and the bathroom was right there in your room.

The food here is awesome!! Every restaurant. Highly recommend the grilled cheese at pelicanos for breakfast (not a sandwich!) and Ricon for lunch- fresh made tacos-so so good. Spice is always great love the variety and convenience. The only negatives - you can tell the juices like the orange juice is watered down no matter which restaurant you go to. Also the nacho cheese in the 24 hour bar is really watered down. Orange juice is something I only allow myself on vacation so that was disappointing. Alcoholic drinks were great I love the mojitos.

Fifth street has changed over the years - lots more modern shops and stores like H&M mingled in with the authentic ones. Extends east now where it only used to go west. Be ready for harassment to buy everything under the sun. Much worse than 4 years ago. I wish some one would clue the shop owners in that if they left me alone I would actually walk into their shop all on my own but if you harass me I will keep walking.

Overall love the Royal and highly recommended!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank justfine7890

Dear justfine7890,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review. We hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience once again.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This was the second time at the royal with me and my family. We stayed in a master ocean front suite and it was just great. Our butler jose did a great job. And of course i don't forget to mention Graciela, juan jose and federico. They are a great team and always happy to assist at any time. Maeva and cesia who helped out at some points during our stay and the check out are so sweet. Thanks to all of your staff for an unforgetable time.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank petra0603

Dear petra0603,

On behalf of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen staff and myself we want to take this opportunity to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a positive review.
We will make sure to tell our staff members that you have mentioned what a great job they are doing so they can keep up the good work!
Once again, thank you for your kind comments and for granting us with the opportunity to host you at THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.