The previous 4 or 5 reviewers all stayed at Playa Maya around the same time we were there, it seems, and everything they said has been true for a very long time! This was our 8th stay there, 4 for 2 weeks and 4 for 3 weeks, so with 20 weeks spent there now, I can advise you that much hasn't changed in 8 years, and the things that have were small and evolutionary, addressing the most-often voiced complaints.
What is there to like about Playa Maya? First, and foremost, the staff! Many of them are long-time employees and you can't beat the feeling of landing on the beach at the foot of 8th street to be greeted by a round of handshakes and hugs as they grab the bags. Watching them day after day, they truly seem to be one big happy family. They eat lunch together in the afternoons and the restautrant is often filled with laughter. Long-time employees are the essence of consistent delivery.
Along with that, the rooms are generous, the housekeeping is top notch, the food is amongst the best in Playa del Carmen, there is always a beach chair waiting for you, the service never stops and you are right around the corner from all that Playa del Carmen has to offer. And, just enough around the corner to enjoy a peaceful night's sleep while the disco's boom a few blocks away.
There are a few things some won't like:
only beach access, so kick off your shoes on 8th Street
built-in StairMaster (it's 58 steps from the beach to the third floor, but I happen to like that)
dipping pool, so no Olympic practice available
With another 3-week stay concluded and next year's already booked, what more is there to say.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Maya is right on the beach and centrally located, just 1 block from 5th Avenue, the heart of activity in Playa del Carmen. Our unusual off-street location and beach-only entrance make us a very tranquil base from which our guests can easily explore all the shopping & nightlife of Playa, along with the other wonders of the Riviera Maya. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Playa Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Maya Del Carmen
- Playa Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico - Playa Del Carmen