1,344 results
All reviews outdoor shower plunge pool ikal del mar coral grill mayan indulgence royal villa our honeymoon individual villas signature villa private jungle all inclusive package tour of the grounds thatched roof day bed sun deck ceviche spider monkeys
Reviewed 22 November 2017

After two very nice experiences at Nizuc, Cancun & Casa Malca, Tulum we expected to have a super finish (2 days) to our great holiday in Mexico at Viceroy Riviera Maya. The Viceroy brand has for my wife & I been a guarantee for top class after spending several vacations on Viceroy Anguilla and we thought that we were in a special place and safe hands in Playa del Carmen, but we were very much wrong taking this for granted!

The first challenge we faced was the fact that we booked an Ocean View Room (600 GBP per night), which basically was a Pool View Room where you had to focus hard in order to get a sight of the ocean! Secondly, at arrival my wife went to the 1st floor restaurant in order to secure a table with Seaview which she secured for dinner. When we arrived 20 min too late in the evening because of unexpected rain shower they had sold our table and put us at the very back of the restaurant. When I challenged why they did they not call us, they started lying that booking a specific table was not possible and after my wife challenged big time back because we could do it in the afternoon, we basically did not see any staff other than when the plates arrived at the table. Furthermore, below on the ground floor (open surroundings) they played techno at very high level, at dinner time with no guests at all, and when I asked what the basis for the set up was they told me that if we paid 25 USD we could drink all the tequila we wanted! The biggest joke ever looking at the elderly couples looking for a quite nice evening. It continued to be a nightmare with the loud teenage style music next to our villa until 11pm where it fortunately stopped!

Next morning we wanted to have breakfast at the beach restaurant and the fact that I did not have a t-shirt was a major issue and I had to go back and change and at the same time three hours later watching people with no shirts as you normally have at beach bars & restaurants! The price level at the hotel exact the same base as the other two in Cancun and Tulum except two factors, the tax of 16% to be added and tips of 15% automatically added to your bill, being absolut ridiculous offering the very low service at the hotel! During day two I was approached by two so called hotel coordinators - one after the other - who wanted the same story on what happened in the restaurant and that management would be briefed, but absolute nothing happened and my mistake was obviously that we did not shout for one hotel manager to take action and reimburse! On the evening of day 2, Sunday we had the pleasure of basically joining a disco night at the outdoor club (neighbor) which basically, meant you felt like being in a night club which was not what the purpose with your wife for a Sunday dinner and evening evening in what they called a quite jungle!

In all fairness to the hotel they did not charge for 40 minutes extra late check out as the coordinator mentioned! The 1* overall rating for Viceroy Riviera Maya given to the two great guys, Omar & Edgar who did a fantastic job supporting us at the pool during day time and they deserve all the positive appreciation we can give...

PS: The quality of the sea and beach cannot even be compared to any of the two other places we were visiting in Mexico and it was not even considered to have a swim in the sea because of the quality.

4  Thank Bangsgaard_London
VICEROYRM, Director General at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Dear mhb2017

I would like to personally thank you for your recent stay, valuable feedback and continuous preference to our brand. All feedback from our guests is highly appreciated as it assists us in monitoring customer satisfaction. I hope you will accept my apologies for the difficulties you experienced and the inconveniences that these may have caused you. We strive for excellent accommodation and we will do out outmost to improve when situations like these may ever reoccur. I do regret to learn that we did not meet your expectations in regards to the room category as the great majority of our guests enjoy its view immensely. About your restaurant experience please rest assured that this is not indicative of the service in which we pride ourselves in and I thank you understand that sometimes mistakes do happen despite the numerous checks and measures. Your experience has lead me to take immediate actions and corrective training when situations like these may ever reoccur and I appreciate your patience very much.

Please know that we are committed in providing excellent customer service and are genuinely concerned with each guest’s experience. Comments such as yours assist us in maintaining our commitment to our guests and help us improve every day.

I truly appreciate your kind patience and we look forward in welcoming you soon to have a taste of our Resort with better expectations.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

We flew to the Viceroy Riviera Maya for a one-week vacation with friends. We were looking for a top notch, small, quiet resort where we could find rest & relaxation ... to recharge from a hectic season at our hospitality business. Though the drive to the Viceroy wasn't memorable, we were wide eyed with wonder as we stepped out of the taxi to the circular open-air lobby. We were greeted warmly, offered a refreshing coconut & lemon grass drink, along with a chilled washcloth for our hands. We were escorted through the tropical vegetation to our Villa. It was absolutely beautiful: spacious and clean with a comfortable king bed, double vanity, indoor and outdoor showers, thatched roof, private "plunging pool", hammock, flat screen tv with Bose sound system. The resort with its two pools is sandwiched between the rain forest and the ocean. The majority of our meals were onsite; food quality and variety were excellent. Service throughout the resort was unsurpassed anywhere. Exemplary service around the pools was provided by Pepe & Edgar; breakfasts were served by William, Israel, & Roger. Jacqueline arranged for all our transportation needs, plus a 4-hour catamaran cruise, and a day trip to Isla Mujeres. I cannot praise the Viceroy Rivera Maya and its staff enough! Our trip was memorable for its comfort and luxury. It was outstanding for its dedication and commitment to "over the top" hospitality. We are already planning our return trip in November 2018.

4  Thank 850thomasn

Dear 850thomasn

Thank you for contributing with a review of your recent stay at the Viceroy Riviera Maya. I have shared this note with my entire team who is very satisfying to hear about such a detail experience; we always strive to provide a personalized and unique service to our guests and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that our hotel service and facilities met your expectations.

Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

We spent 5 nights at Viceroy Riviera Maya earlier this month and were delighted with the experience. The villa was fabulous, and although dining costs were high, the quality of food and drink was superb.

The real standout experience, though, was the thoughtful and kind attentiveness of the staff, without it ever feeling overbearing or put-on. The team there seem to love their work, and it shows in everything they do. Let me give a couple of examples - I'd taken a nap in our room and later wandered down to the pool, where I thought my husband was. Since I didn't see him anywhere, I asked Francisco if he'd seen him. Oh yes, he said. He went for a walk up the beach but had come back 10 minutes ago and walked back up toward our villa. I said he wasn't there either, but never mind I'll take a lounger and enjoy the beach breezes. A few short minutes later, Francisco came over and said he'd called around and my husband was at the spa, and would I like them to get him on the phone for me. Most folks would not have taken that extra step, and the willingness to do so without being asked, was refreshing. How about this one: I went to the reception area to ask for another copy of the Conde Nast magazine that I'd mis-placed. I was happy enough to be given the copy off the coffee table with a smile, and headed back down to my villa. As I was leaving, the gentleman called to me, saying that he'd given me the November issue but if it was the October one I was after, he'd investigate and have it sent to my room....Are you kidding me?! Without even being asked, he'd taken that extra step just to be sure I was happy. I told my husband the story over dinner that night, and we joked that it may be impossible to adjust to being back home after we left. I commend the team for their warm, thoughtful service, the local management for instilling that sense and standard of service, and the Viceroy organization for creating a place where customers feel special and welcome. This was my first Viceroy experience, and I will be going out of my way to stay at this and any other Viceroy property in the future. Thank you!

1  Thank Noelle L
VICEROYRM, Director General at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Dear Noelle L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience at Viceroy Riviera Maya, we are delighted and overwhelmed with your heartwarming review. It gives us an immense sense of satisfaction to learn your feelings about our jungle retreat and that you undoubtedly enjoyed your time and service provided by my dedicated members. The reward my staff feels when our guests share praises, believe me is their greatest pleasure. Your words will not only motivate us, but inspire the entire team to continue providing the best service experience.

We look forward to welcoming you in your next visit to the Riviera Maya.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 16 November 2017

From the greeting by Eduardo to our Mayan Blessing, to the magical landscape they have created in the rainforest, to our unbelievable villa with a private plunge pool, the Viceroy is beyond our wildest dreams of a vacation experience. The guest service by Pepe, Roger, Edgar, Jaqueline and Omar, as well as the rest of the staff, went above and beyond in every way. Thank you all for creating a perfectly magical week in paradise!
Rick & Tom

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rick G

Dear seacaptain539

Thank you for contributing a review of your recent stay at the Viceroy Riviera Maya. We value all feedback from our guests as it assists us in improving our services and understanding where we stand in the eyes of our dear guests. Eduardo, Pepe and the rest of the team thank you for your praises. I should say we enjoyed serving you as much as you enjoyed our service.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our hotel service and facilities met your expectations. We look forward to host you again in your next visit to the Riviera Maya.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2017

From the very start we were incredibly impressed with the Viceroy. From our welcome tour and ritual Mayan welcome with Eduardo to the beautiful meal at La Marea and absolutely everything between the property and service were spot on.

The rooms themselves were stunning and spacious complete with a private plunge pool and outdoor shower. My only complaint with the space is that the lighting in the bathroom area is very dark, so ladies don't plan on having an easy time if you want to apply makeup.

The experience at the pool and beach is what really made the trip. We had great service from Francisco and no detail is left out (there are beach hats available for use, water socks if you want to battle the rocky ocean, and someone even came around and cleaned off our sunglasses). Beachside drink service was quick and delicious.

Dinner at La Marea was delicious and romantic.

I have been recommending this place to everyone and can't wait to return. Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ashley B
VICEROYRM, Director General at Viceroy Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Dear Ashley B

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your valuable feedback. I am happy to read you enjoy so much your stay and service received from our attentive staff. We also appreciate the constructive comments about the lightling, as it is only through our guest feedback that we can improve our guests experiences.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback, we value it greatly. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at our jungle refuge.

Warm regards,