I Went to the Tides in late Jan early Feb last year. I decided not to write a review immediately as give myself time to settle my thoughts on the hotel.
A year has gone by now and the main thought that comes to mind of my experience at the hotel is the feeling of being constantly ripped-off.
First the Positives: The reception and room staff were very friendly. The Rooms were beautiful and well kept. The hotel as a whole is very nice and quiet as we managed to avoid rooms near the building site behind the hotel. Beach furniture was also very comfortable.
Now the Negatives: I should have be prepared for what was to come as the already steep room prices then had a 15% service charge added to the displayed rate. (what service is there in a room rate?!)
Then were the standard restaurant/bar prices which were ridiculously high. A Beer or soft drink for around $10 each!! and again +15% service charge.
We had the barbeque on the beach the day we arrived and paid around $250 for dinner for 2 (+15%!!) for some cold fish/meat. Admittedly surroundings were very nice, but hardly worth these prices.
The extreme ridiculous moment was when I asked for extra milk with my coffee at breakfast and was charged MXP 85 (+15%) for a glass of milk.
They even add service charge for a massage. A Massage IS a service!!
I know that being European, we're not so used to paying this sort of level of service charges. However as a frequent traveller to New York, I didn't expect to be paying more for a beer or some nachos on the beach in Mexico than in a 5* hotel in Manhattan. If employees at the hotel actually receive the service charge (which I doubt) they must be amongst the top earners in the country.
Conclusion: As a result of this uncomfortable situation, we found ourselves 'escaping' the hotel for all meals etc, which is counter productive as we had paid so much for the accommodation in the first place.
I know this may sound absurd to some. I don't mind paying a high price, but I just don't like feeling robbed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 35 minutes from Cancun International Airport and three miles from popular Playa del Carmen, Viceroy Riviera Maya is a serene hideaway set on the turquoise Caribbean amid a lush jungle ambiance. As Riviera Maya’s #1 resort in Conde Nast Traveler’s 2011 Readers’ Choice Awards, Viceroy offers world-class amenities, personalized pampering, exquisitely appointed villa accommodations with private patio and plunge pool, refined Mexican cuisine accented with international touches at La Marea and Mexican-Mediterranean fare at the seaside Coral Grill. Mayan influences abound, from the Mayan Blessing performed on arrival by the resort’s Shaman to the Mayan healing techniques offered at the award-winning spa. A Lagoon Pool, private pier, fitness center and traditional temazcal sweatlodge are among the resort’s many other pleasures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Stayforlong S.L., LoveHolidays, Expedia, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Viceroy Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Tides Riviera Maya Hotel
- Tides Riviera Maya Resort
- Ikal Del Mar
- Viceroy Riviera Maya Mexico - Playa Del Carmen