“Not for beginners!”

Spearfishing Playa del Carmen
More attraction details
Owner description: Our 1/2 day charter is a 4 hour hunting expedition at different locations to ensure the best chances of spearing fish. The equipment consists of spear guns of all sizes and makes (AB Biller, Cressi Sub, Picasso, Sporasub), real spearfishing masks, weights and fins. Yes, you are welcome to bring your own equipment, also all hunters have a spear fishing permit and licenses included. Non-hunting passengers / snorkelers are also welcome to join the hunters adventure. Water and fruits are also included.
Reviewed 30 May 2016

My wife and I did this trip the afternoon of May 29th. I give these guys 4 stars because they are very nice people and are good at what they do. The only one thing that would have been helpful is to have known we would need to dive 30/40 feet to find the fish. Even when discussing on the phone it wasn't mentioned. If you are a beginner and have maybe done some snorkeling around the sanotes, caverns, or even shallow abalone diving in the pacific, that's not good enough! I've done the above and this is something I've also wanted to try for a long time but now something I'll never do again. This is not a relaxing snorkeling trip but instead a trip for serious free divers who can bail out of the boat in a seconds notice and can hold their breath for minutes. I imagine the conditions are different on different days but on this day the water was rough enough that I couldn't catch my breath with my head above water at all and had to have the snorkel in at all times, the current felt strong, and the waves would beat you to near death while trying to climb the ladder back on the boat. Now again these guys are good! They are big on gun safety, breathing technique, etc and will find fish at whatever cost, they can go deeper and stay under long enough to cause brain damage in most people. I am an outdoors person 6'1 190 pounds and consider my self to be in pretty good shape. My wife is 5'4 110 pounds and works out relentlessly, she didn't spend more than 10 minutes in the water because it was too rough and wasn't willing to go that deep. I'm not disappointed with Arpon in any way whatsoever, only my own abilities and the fact that maybe I didn't ask enough questions before I booked the trip.

4  Thank Marty K

Reviewed 31 August 2015

I'm an avid spear fisherman and have been spearing for many years. I booked a trip with Arpon Spear Fishing hoping to score some fish. I did!! Javi and his crew really know the reefs well and will put you on fish. Arpon has a very nice panga boat and riding out to the reefs is a pleasant ride. I had such a good time diving the first day I booked an additional two days. Looking forward to my next trip down to Playa Del Carmen to do some more spearing with Javi and the crew!!

1  Thank 010_john_010
Reviewed 6 August 2015

My son and I do a lot of 'traditional' fishing at home in the states, so on a recent trip to Mexico decided to try something new, and went spearfishing with Javi - had a great time! Javi runs a first class operation, and while we missed a few shots, Javi and our other guide, Marte', kept things interesting. One of the other hunters shot a large barracuda, from which we received a large fillet, later cooked for us at a local restaurant - delicious! If you think spearfishing in Mexico might be something you'd like to try, we highly recommend Javi!

Reviewed 26 July 2015

I went spearfishing with Javi on my Birthday July 19th. I have previous freediving experience, but nothing like this. I never use fins when I swim or freedive at home, mainly using my upper body pulling myself into fresh water springs. Looking back I wish I would have prepared more with fins. on to the actual review...

Javi was extremely professional from the very first email and always prompt with his replies. I met him at the gate to Puerto Aventuras, the marina not the town, right on time and we went straight to the boat. On this excursion I was the only one fishing with no experience. There were two professional spearos from New Zealand and a member of the Spanish National Spearfishing Team. I was a little intimidated at first, but I knew this was going to be a learning experience and if nothing else, a great show.Everyone was very friendly and and ready to start fishing. One guy even jumped in without his fins! My Fiance also came along just to snorkel., but ended up spending most of the time on the boat as she isn't a strong swimmer, yet.
On the way out Javi gave me some tips on how to hold my breath and how to stay down longer, also which fish were OK to shoot and which were not. Because I was experienced in freediving we were never in water less than about 75-80 feet, which was OK with me. Because everyone else was experienced, Javi stayed with me a lot especially at first. I watched him for a little while and then decided to give it a shot. My first dive was about 75 feet and I shot at a fish! The spear glanced off of its back. I was very excited and hopeful at this point. I enjoyed watching Javi , he is really good at what he does.
At one point I was about to dive for what i assume was a mackerel and Javi pointed to my left, There were 75-100 Horse Eye Jack in a school. If I had been more experienced I WOULD have landed one of those fish but I ended up firing into the crowd and my spear found nothing but the ground. My heart was racing 100mph. One of the most exhilarating experiences of my life.
The last spot we stopped was a small sunken ship and there were fish circling it. I was in full cramp mode at this point, having never used fins and probably being a little dehydrated. I was finished and just floated until the boat picked me up. Matias, one of Javi's guides landed a trigger fish around the boat and soon after the gentleman from Spain speared a 35 pound Jack around the boat, which was HUGE.
I had a very good time for my birthday, even tho I didn't actually spear any fish. This is why it is called fishing not catching. I will attempt to pursue this sport in the future, using all the info I received from Javi. If I am ever in this area again, without a doubt I will be fishing with Javi

2  Thank craiganem