“My new Hobby!”

Spearfishing Playa del Carmen
More attraction details
Owner description: Our 1/2 day charter is a 4 hour hunting expedition at different locations to ensure the best chances of spearing fish. The equipment consists of spear guns of all sizes and makes (AB Biller, Cressi Sub, Picasso, Sporasub), real spearfishing masks, weights and fins. Yes, you are welcome to bring your own equipment, also all hunters have a spear fishing permit and licenses included. Non-hunting passengers / snorkelers are also welcome to join the hunters adventure. Water and fruits are also included.
Reviewed 26 July 2015

I went spearfishing with Javi on my Birthday July 19th. I have previous freediving experience, but nothing like this. I never use fins when I swim or freedive at home, mainly using my upper body pulling myself into fresh water springs. Looking back I wish I would have prepared more with fins. on to the actual review...

Javi was extremely professional from the very first email and always prompt with his replies. I met him at the gate to Puerto Aventuras, the marina not the town, right on time and we went straight to the boat. On this excursion I was the only one fishing with no experience. There were two professional spearos from New Zealand and a member of the Spanish National Spearfishing Team. I was a little intimidated at first, but I knew this was going to be a learning experience and if nothing else, a great show.Everyone was very friendly and and ready to start fishing. One guy even jumped in without his fins! My Fiance also came along just to snorkel., but ended up spending most of the time on the boat as she isn't a strong swimmer, yet.
On the way out Javi gave me some tips on how to hold my breath and how to stay down longer, also which fish were OK to shoot and which were not. Because I was experienced in freediving we were never in water less than about 75-80 feet, which was OK with me. Because everyone else was experienced, Javi stayed with me a lot especially at first. I watched him for a little while and then decided to give it a shot. My first dive was about 75 feet and I shot at a fish! The spear glanced off of its back. I was very excited and hopeful at this point. I enjoyed watching Javi , he is really good at what he does.
At one point I was about to dive for what i assume was a mackerel and Javi pointed to my left, There were 75-100 Horse Eye Jack in a school. If I had been more experienced I WOULD have landed one of those fish but I ended up firing into the crowd and my spear found nothing but the ground. My heart was racing 100mph. One of the most exhilarating experiences of my life.
The last spot we stopped was a small sunken ship and there were fish circling it. I was in full cramp mode at this point, having never used fins and probably being a little dehydrated. I was finished and just floated until the boat picked me up. Matias, one of Javi's guides landed a trigger fish around the boat and soon after the gentleman from Spain speared a 35 pound Jack around the boat, which was HUGE.
I had a very good time for my birthday, even tho I didn't actually spear any fish. This is why it is called fishing not catching. I will attempt to pursue this sport in the future, using all the info I received from Javi. If I am ever in this area again, without a doubt I will be fishing with Javi

2  Thank craiganem

Reviewed 16 June 2015

Javier has made our visits to his part of the world memorable. Our first trip with him about 5 years ago was my son's first spearfishing trip and I had not dived for years. With Javi's patient and knowlegeable guidance we have progressed well and had a lot of fun. Each year our depth and bottom times have improved, Javi's breathing and breathhold techniques are safe and practical. We have been fortunate enough to get a great variety of fish with each dive. We have travelled all over the world and I can say with all sincerity the main reason we return to this spot each year is to spearfish with Javi.

Reviewed 9 June 2015

My dad and I just did our fourth or fifth trip with Javier. As usual, it was fantastic. I shot two baracuda (one almost as long as my body) and my dad shot a trigger fish. Javier always makes the outings fun and exciting. I recommend this to anyone interested in spearfishing, you will not regret it!

Reviewed 11 May 2015

I was in Playa Del Carmen the first part of May and booked this excursion since I had always wanted to try spearfishing. I emailed Javier several times and he always responded. Originally booked on a Tuesday, he pushed it back a few days due to weather. They are located at Puerto Adventuras about 15 minutes from Playa. I took a cab there and Javier met me on time at the gate. He took us to the boat, loaded up an off we went. There were only 6 of us total and 3 were the captain and crew. We were given a brief freediving lesson and then got in the water to try it out. I had no experience so I didn't start out with a gun. We were encouraged to practice freediving for a few minutes and were eventually given a gun and told to give it a try. I didn't shoot anything but really just enjoyed watching the captain and crew members shoot fish. We were in the water for a good part of the trip. Afterwards they cleaned the fish and we ate what was caught at a nearby restaurant. I definitely enjoyed the experience and hope to try it again.
Tip: It is harder than it looks but it was fun trying. You should be comfortable in the water and able to dive down a little. If you can comfortably swim to the bottom of the deep end of a swimming pool (12 ft/ 4 meters) you should be fine. The first part of the trip we were diving 20 to 30 ft.
Tip: They have all the gear but it's more enjoyable if you bring your own (mask/snorkel).