“Hope to try it again”

Spearfishing Playa del Carmen
More attraction details
Owner description: Our 1/2 day charter is a 4 hour hunting expedition at different locations to ensure the best chances of spearing fish. The equipment consists of spear guns of all sizes and makes (AB Biller, Cressi Sub, Picasso, Sporasub), real spearfishing masks, weights and fins. Yes, you are welcome to bring your own equipment, also all hunters have a spear fishing permit and licenses included. Non-hunting passengers / snorkelers are also welcome to join the hunters adventure. Water and fruits are also included.
Reviewed 11 May 2015

I was in Playa Del Carmen the first part of May and booked this excursion since I had always wanted to try spearfishing. I emailed Javier several times and he always responded. Originally booked on a Tuesday, he pushed it back a few days due to weather. They are located at Puerto Adventuras about 15 minutes from Playa. I took a cab there and Javier met me on time at the gate. He took us to the boat, loaded up an off we went. There were only 6 of us total and 3 were the captain and crew. We were given a brief freediving lesson and then got in the water to try it out. I had no experience so I didn't start out with a gun. We were encouraged to practice freediving for a few minutes and were eventually given a gun and told to give it a try. I didn't shoot anything but really just enjoyed watching the captain and crew members shoot fish. We were in the water for a good part of the trip. Afterwards they cleaned the fish and we ate what was caught at a nearby restaurant. I definitely enjoyed the experience and hope to try it again.
Tip: It is harder than it looks but it was fun trying. You should be comfortable in the water and able to dive down a little. If you can comfortably swim to the bottom of the deep end of a swimming pool (12 ft/ 4 meters) you should be fine. The first part of the trip we were diving 20 to 30 ft.
Tip: They have all the gear but it's more enjoyable if you bring your own (mask/snorkel).

Reviewed 6 April 2015

What a fantastic lesson in free diving and an awesome introduction into the sport! Javier and his crew truly love what they do and know how to do it, that is what makes this adventure one of the best. Now it's my job to take the techniques I learned and practice them to dive deeper for way longer. Look out fish, I will be back.

Reviewed 2 March 2015

Overall, it was a great experience. It's certainly an expensive adventure and unfortunately (fortunately in another way) is victim to circumstance.

Its beautiful just traveling out to the deeper water, being able to see 45 feet straight down. The first 30-40 minutes were just training in the water - getting used to diving, clearing, etc. It was difficult for both of us to dive too deep. It was not as easy as it seems - at least not for us. We are both avid swimmers and adventurers but diving deep, clearing, etc. seemed difficult. Our guide was able to quickly catch a lobster, jackfish, and a lion fish. Then we ran into a whale shark which was incredible (the fortunate circumstance).

We spent the remainder of the time trying to catch anything. The masks were a bit leaky and the snorkels would fill with water from time to time so a bit uncomfortable for 4 hours. If you have your own gear, bring it. We didnt catch anything (or even shoot at anything) because we only ran into two more larger fish (the unfortunate circumstance). One we were unable to get to because we werent very good at diving deep and one the guide shot at and it glanced off. They claim it was only the 3-4th trip that year that didnt catch anything.

We paid extra for ceviche which we were very glad we did. The lion fish / jackfish / lobster ceviche was incredible - best we have ever had and so much we couldnt even get near finishing it.

We saved a bit of the fish for dinner - it was more than enough. And it right on the bay where you can pay to swim with dolphins so we got to watch the dolphins while eating the catch of the day. Overall, a great experience. It was disappointing that we didnt actually spearfish or personally catch anything but the experience was well worth it and seeing the whale shark certainly helped.

Reviewed 12 November 2014

Diego took us out spearfishing. We were a group of 6. He was able to keep us safe and load the guns for those with no experience. I would recommend. We went out with another company the day after and their guide was not as good as Diego. On another note I would have liked this company to provide gloves and wet suits for those who did not come with one.

1  Thank drchrisf