“Another Great Week at the Iberostar Tucan!”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #41 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Michigan
“Another Great Week at the Iberostar Tucan!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This was my second stay at the Tucan. The grounds are wonderful ( I felt like I was in a jungle) and I loved the meandering Peacocks, and especially the male who visited the cocktail lounge every evening!
Wild howler monkeys come into the trees in the morning and late afternoon which I consider a very special treat!
The food is quite good and the only issue is securing a reservation in the speciality restaurants (which is common problem at all-inclusives).
The swimming pool and beach areas are beautiful and well-kept.
If you want to party all-night, this is not your hotel but if you want excellent service and beautiful surroundings, you'll love it!

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms on the south side. They are quieter and the monkeys visit the area.
8 Thank goblue-er
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Iberostar Tucan. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for your loyalty and for being part of our Iberostar family.

Furthermore, it is an honour that you had a nice time with employees, we will especially compliment them for their effort. Our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests.

Thank you for your nice words about the hotel surroundings!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Iberostar Tucan again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexcio.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 February 2012

So this was our fourth trip back to the Iberostar, and in reading everyone's posts, it is difficult to add anything at all! What great information! This was our first trip later into the year (February 17-24), and WOW was the water a treat! Both the pool and the ocean were very comfortable! We requested building 12 or 13, and a jungle view. These buildings are great for a short trip to the beach, and far away enough to not hear the shows if you can't stay up! We have returned here because not only do we love the authentic feel of the jungle, the hospitality of the people, the value of the vacation, the beautiful beach, but also the location. We have tried to go out to experience other areas on each of our stays:Akumel, Tulum, Zel-ha, Playa del Carmen and the hotel is not too far from everything! You can really pack in alot of side trips without losing the whole day. In closing, I must say one word about the star friends. They work soooo hard, day and evening. If you want to participate, great! You will have fun. If you don't want to participate, no problem! But I just want to thank them for all they do. "Heyyy, heyy baby, ooh, ahhh-we love it!"

10 Thank Frego
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexcio. at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear guest,

Fist of all I would like to thank you so much for writing such a nice review about your stay at the Iberostar Tucan, I am sure that it will help future guests to make their decision easier.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed a pleasant holiday among us.

Let me emphasize that for us the best satisfaction is to read that one of our best asset is the kindness and attention of our staff since our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests. We will personally compliment our star friends team!

Thank you again for you comments. Do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us again. We look forward to your return visits!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just got back from our second time at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal. Last year we were on the Quetzal side facing the jungle in building 25. We loved it there waking up to the monkeys, peacocks etc. Absolutly no complaints with that area. This year we were on the Tucan side in building 11. At first we were a little disappointed that we were not in the jungle but I have to say this was perfect as well. We were closer to the pool and I was able to "claim" our seats each morning. Yes, its anoying that you have to get up early if you want "your" perfect spot but I knew what I wanted and where so I was willing to get up. Knowing that the beds were not super comfortable as soon as we arrived to our room we ordered the extra padding for the beds. This makes a huge difference and I would highly suggest it for all that perfer sleeping on a softer bed. We tipped the maid a couple bucks for making up our bed again. We tipped our maid $2-3 daily for making up our room. These individulals work so hard and are so appreciative. The room size is average. We have 2 boys (10 and 13) so one of them slept on the couch/bed per choice.

We came to the resort with 3 other families with children the same age as ours. They swam, enjoyed all the activities and played Uno, Doodle Dice and other card games by the pool for hours when they needed a break from the sun. The weather was AMAZING the entire week we were there. One suggestion when on the beach is to bring your own "CUPS/MUGS". Your cup you bring will be larger and insulated then the plastic cups that are provided. The bar tenders will gladly fill yours up instead...bigger drink...faster buzz ...plus you don't have to stand in line as much. Rafael has worked at the pool bar by the beach and is amazing! Super friendly! We remembered him from last year and I have to say he was just as friendly. He can make a GREAT Coco-Loco! Just remember to ask him to add more rum. More rum makes for less calories when drinking the sugary drinks. The icecream in the afternoon by the pool is also good. We loved the coconut and highly suggest it!!

The grounds of the entire complex are always super clean! The beach is combed everyday and the workers remove the seaweed each morning that washes up on the beach. You won't notice that there is even seaweed that washes up if you don't get up super early. Walking each morning through the jungle is a great way to start the day. Seeing the monkeys every morning (around 8 a.m.) and then in the afternoon (around 4) was always fun for the kids as well as all the other animals. The entire complex is set in a lush tropical rainforest with almost no bugs. You can choose to walk along the rainforest or through the rainforest. In the morning I enjoyed exercising along the paved cement path along the the entire complex. I always felt safe and was always greeted with a smile and hello by any workers that walked past me.

I also worked out in the gym each morning. Its not a huge gym but it did the job of burning off some unwanted calories. The free weights only go up to 50 pounds, they have 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, a couple benches with bars. I also did the water aerobics in the pool each day. They do the same routine each day which can be a good thing for those that are new to exercising or repetitive for those of us that work out daily. Either way its fun and again burned some extra calories. I also did the yoga and that too is very basic and more of a stretching class but enjoyable.

Now onto the food...the buffett is huge and has many choices. I loved breakfast! Each day I had an egg white omelette with tomatos, green peppers, onions and cheese. AWESOME! The kids enjoyed the donuts, french toast and bacon. The fruit was also amazing as well. For lunch I loved to have a big plate of chips, guac and salsa. Dinner we ate at the Japanese restaurant, Italian Restaurant and the Steak House. I would also rate the dinners in that order as the Japenses restaurant was really good. The water is safe in downtown Playa as well so no worries. We also went to Playa for 2 nights for dinner as well ($7 taxi ride). Downtown Playa is very safe with many families walking around shopping and eating. The kids enjoyed finding their souvenirs.

The kids loved all the activities throughout the day. They tried shooting the guns, did the pool games at noon, played soccer on the beach at 4. We also kayaked, windsurfed and sailed on the catamaran (all provided for free from the resort). The shows at night were also good. My only complaint is that they start to late for families that have started their day early. The show starts at 9:30 and 8:30 would be a better time in my opinion. By 9:30 I'm exhausted from getting up by 6-7 a.m. and being at the beach all day. They do a great job of entertaining everyone and would highly suggest seeing a couple of them as they are fun to watch.

The other biggest complaint I had was again they do not provide free internet. With this day and age free wifi in the lobby would allow you to check your email and check with your family at home if needed. The internet is quite costly for those of us who need to check in with work daily. You can walk down to Starbucks closer into town but when you need to just do a quick check twice a day it becomes frustrating.

Overall a great trip once again with family and friends! I would suggest this place to all families who are looking for a fun trip that will provide for many memories. We can't wait to go back!!!

17 Thank michigankree
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico. at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to read that you had a pleasant stay at Iberostar Tucan in Mexico. Our team does our best to provide the comforts of home to all our guests.

Thank you for pointing out the great location ¡the hotel setting and sorroundings, our cuisine and our the staff. I am delighted to hear that each person you came in to contact with were pleasent and helpful.

Please feel free to contact us for your next reservation! We will all be very pleased to welcome you back home.

Kind regards,

Fond du Lac, WI
Reviewed 25 February 2012

If you like to get out and about then the tucan is for you. It is in Playacar and everyone is out of their hotels and walking to town or taking the ferry to Cozumel.
The food is great. They alway had either shredded meat, carved meats or whole baked fish at dinners. At lunches the had a wide variety of food, not just the standard hot dogs.
The pool area is great with lots of shady/sunny areas. The beach was nice and wide with volleyball nets and lots of lounges also.
I had a great time painting a plate. When I wasn't sure which one I wanted to paint they told me I could design my own. The next day they drew my design on a plate! When I was finished they did the accents. I was thrilled with the end result. If you want a personal memento of your trip, do a one of a kind piece.
I traveled along and I loved the safe and friendly feel of the Iberostar Tucan. I will definitely go back

Room Tip: Great location for active travelers. Do a personal item at the pottery shed. Great for someone tra...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank WIRelaxed
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing such a good comment about your holiday with us here in Iberostar Tucan. Your enthusiasm in describing the high level of our services is a good input to keep motivating our team. I will be sure to pass your compliments along to the team and especially to our chef who will be very pleased to hear your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kindest regards,

Woodbury, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We just returned from a 5 night stay and the only negative was that we didn't stay 6 or 7 nights.
We agonized over where to go, Costa Rica, Aruba, DR but finally settled on Cancun because it was the easiest place for our 2 older sons to get to from where they are in Missouri and Virginia. Tucan is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are unique. The jungle area between the lobby and the pool was really cool. Lots of monkeys, peacocks and other animals. The pool is beautiful. The beach is great and of course the waters of the Carribean can't be beat. The staff was great. Very friendly. The rooms are really nice and clean as is the entire property. Since I can subsist on guacamole and chips I didn't need gourmet style food but nevertheless the food was certainly good enough. A long as you know that you are not going to be getting gourmet meals then you won't be dissapointed. Make a reservation at the Japanese restaurant - good food and lots of fun. About the dive shop associated with the hotel... It is a separate entity and the staff was very nice as were the dive instructors. It was just the refund policy that was troublesome. We were scheduled to go snorkeling one afternoon but the it was to choppy so they told us we had to go another day. That really didn't fit into our tight schedule so we asked for a refund and they would not give it to us. The only give you a credit for a future trip. Also the particular place that they took us snorkeling was pretty bad. None of this is a reflection on Iberostar Tucan and again the people at the dive shop were really nice so my advice is to wait to pay for any diving/snorkeling until the last minute. A great vacation!

4 Thank peter l
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,877 reviews

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!