10,645 results
All reviews royal service mole the grill south bar gabi club rs pool la palapa restaurant yhi spa dinner reservations alfredo butler service swim up suite bali beds pool party our honeymoon guest services personal butler
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Modern Resort, Nothing special, Adults Only is a lie!

My husband and I stayed at the Paradisus La Perla in September. I checked reviews and had high expectations for Paradisus La Perla.

The resort's motto is something like “The Pure Freedom to Just Be...” that’s totally is not true in an Adult Only Resort.
• Every restaurant requires reservations.
• Since its off season (as we were told by the staff) some of the restaurants were closed.
• No entertainment for the adults during the day (except on Saturdays at the main pool).
• No adult nightly entertainment – the only adult night club “Red / Fuego Bar” was only opened once during the whole trip (7 nights).
• All of the evening entertainment was held outside in the “Gabi Club” or “North Avenue Bar”. Both are very small & with a 30% capacity were very crowded. Both allow children and children roam freely, not sure why that was allowed since entertainment started at 9:30 pm and we were at the Adult Only Resort. The resort has a theater, but it was never user, it does not even have chairs.
• After the nightly entertainment has ended nothing else for the adults to do. Sometimes the “Gabi Club” would have a DJ, but the music was out of date & you would be better off in your room especially its very humid outside.
• Can’t imagine the nightly entertainment when the resort is close to at full capacity. Crowded with children running around.

When we arrived at the resort, we were offered to upgrade to Royal Service and to a better room. The rooms were offered to us at 40% discount and Royal Service was at 30% discount. We decided not to & that was a great decision. The resort was pretty empty; it seemed to be at about 30% occupied. Not sure why they would not offer a bigger discount.

Room - LUXURY JUNIOR SUITE PROMO - The room was spacious and modern but one of the dual rain showerheads was not working well, the water was coming out of the handheld and rain showerhead at the same time. The Sinks were too close to each other, the vanity area feel very cramped. The tub was huge but we never use it. The conditioner was pretty crappy so bringing your own.

The last 4 out of 7 nights I kept getting bitten by something in bed, looked liked mosquito bites all over my legs. Should have asked to have the sheets changed, but never got to it.

We spent most of our time at the pool – it was pretty empty, which made getting a spot very easy. The bar service was great, very prompt & friendly, but were told every day that they are out of Heineken beer. It got very annoying. The Resort also advertised as having “premium alcohol” that was not true. The bartenders did not know the name of drinks and drink content. They only knew the hotel specialty drink & very common drinks.

One night we decided to join friends in their swim-up pool (room), we were told that we can’t use the pool after 7 PM and were kicked out – it was a great shot since they paid for a room with a swim-up pool.

The Royal Service pool had a few people in it - not worth the extra charge.

Went to the beach a few times, it was very narrow, small and rocky. No bathrooms & a schlep to the grill & alcohol bar. The fumes from the jet skis are Horrible.

Had dinner in all the restaurants that were open: wish they buffet was open. Feel restricted with reservations.
Fuego – ate there 2 times, very good food.
Bana – ate there 2 times, we liked the sushi.
Hadar – open for breakfast only – loved it
The Grill – CLOSED
Vento – one of the worst food experiences. The restaurant interprets dishes they way they see fit. Would not recommend it!
Mole – CLOSED
The Market – not bad, can’t complain (for lunch and dinner)
Sunset Grill – good food at the pool
La Palapa Grill – enjoyed our dinner experience.
Passion – did not go, but after speaking with people who did, not the $40+15%
Fuego Bar – always closed

Overall experience was OK. Just a typical resort which claimed it was adults only, but did not provide adult entertainment, nightly entertainment was kid friendly. Based on our experience we are not going to return to Paradisus.

6  Thank VikiNYC
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Dear guest,

We appreciate you decided to share your point of view from your stay at Paradisus La Perla.
We are sorry to read we were not able to succeed your expectations due several aspects. Let me clarify some of them.

Regarding entertainment, we have an weekly schedule which includes our “Life enriching activities” such as Photo Lab, Yhi Massage, Eco tour, Sushi making, Wine tasting, Diving demo and sports, all of them are held between 10am to 6pm. We will reinforce the ways to inform our guests about this program.

Our night shows are family oriented and are held at La Esmeralda side, where everyone are welcome. After the show it is possible to stay at our beautiful Gabi Club where kids can stay under adult supervision. The other option is going to another bar at la Perla side, like South Av. Or the M Bar where you can find wide variety of martinis without children around, just the way you could relaxed completely and have fun at the pool area, where kids are never near.

During low season our maintenance team works in all resort areas to keep them in proper conditions for our high season, this includes some of our restaurants, but we offer at least 6 restaurants open for dinner every night.

We would like to have the opportunity to host you again at Paradisus Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

The hotel lived up to it's 5 star rating. The facilities where outstanding as well as the service we recieved from the staff. Enrique, Evelio and Ivan where great at Hadar as well as the girls making the omelette's (didn't get their names). We where there for 7 days and they always remembered how my husband liked his omelette. He showed up and it was ready for him. Stand outs at La Palapa, Renau and Francisco, and at Mole Luis, service was fantastic. At the front desk David and Jorge where extremely helpful. I gave this hotel a 4 rating because we didn't feel the restaurants where a 5. Aside from the La Palapa restaurant the beef was inedible. Food was good but not an OMG this is fabulous. Passion restaurant was an experience, but not worth the extra $120 dollars we had to pay. Don't buy anything at the store on the property you'll get raped. An 8oz bottle of Coppertone cost $35. ouch!

2  Thank Angelica A
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your stay at Paradisus La Perla.

We are pleased to read that the service provided at our restaurants was fantastic, special mention to Enrique, Evelio, Iván, Renau, Luis and Francisco; and at the front desk by Jorge and David. Please be assured that your comments will be sent to their supervisors in order to applaud their effort shown with our guests.

We are sorry to read you did not find a special meal at our restaurants that may be adequate to your palate. Our chefs always try to satisfy our guests when you let them know about it and they even prepare something out of the many when possible. Hopefully in your next visit we will be able to satisfy your gastronomic segment.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

My family and I recently came back from a 7 day stay at the Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla and I can not express how happy I am with the overall experience. First of all, if you are looking for a hotel that provides five star service in everything they do this is the place. From the lobby, to the reception areas, to the rooms and the restaurants everything is exactly how you see it in the pictures; absolutely beautiful.

Aside from the beauty of the resort, the service is exceptional. Let me start off by saying that the entire staff is friendly and willing to help at any point. We had the opportunity to eat at most restaurants. Enrique, Carlos , Euelio, Teo and Adriana made our mornings extra especial by providing us personalized service at breakfast. By the second day they knew what we wanted to drink before we even asked, they truly made us feel at home. On my husband's birthday they took the time to make him a cake (after over hearing it was his birthday) and came out with a personalized cake and sang happy birthday. I don't know about you but this kind of service is exceptional.

Also, we did plan a private dinner on the beach to celebrate my husband's birthday and I can not express how beautiful it was. Myrna from the romantic department helped me do the set up and she was so helpful and wonderful. She was discrete about it since it was a surprise. The set up was amazing, we had two servers from the Gabby Club who made the night extra special. I can not leave out the food. Chef Lorenzo from The Market made us the best meal I have ever had. Everything was cooked to perfection and the presentation of the dishes was beautiful. Not only did he take the time to come out and talk to us but invited us back to The Market to have a special meal cooked by him the next day. The private dinner might seem pricy at first but it was definitely worth the price.

Also I want to take this time to compliment Cristina from the Perla pool area. When you do go on this trip make sure you as for her by the pool. She will take care of you and bring all of the food and drinks you may want.

Seriously if you are looking for a resort with exceptional service and luxury this is it. Only negative is how short the beach area is, but its beautiful.

I know this message is long, and I never write reviews, but in this particular case I had to. Thanks to the wonderful staff and their service for a beautiful vacation! I will definitely be coming back to this resort :)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Adriana D
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear guest,

We appreciate you decided to write your first review on Trip Advisor after your Pararisus La Perla experience. That means you thought it was important to share all you enjoyed at our beautiful resort.

Please be sure that Myrna, chef Lorenzo, Cristina and the waiter staff at Naos and Hadar restaurants will be notified about your recognition to their service. All of them were an important part of your experience and they deserve to know it.

We are happy to read your husbands´ birthday celebration was a total success and everything went even better than you expected.

Remember that in Paradisus La Perla you have your home away from home.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

My wife and I traveled here for a well needed R&R vacation. Our expectations were not only met but were exceeded on almost every account (the only down-side was the music around the pool - not horrible at all though). The service was absolutely impeccable from the beach, pool, ,restaurants, check-in, housekeeping, you name it. Previous posts cited that there was a lack of "hospitality" training which may have been the case when they first opened. We found no lack of service whatsoever. I wish I could recall all names of those that performed superior service but when ALL were excellent it makes it difficult. Particular standouts were Jose Manuel (room service) as well as the other gentleman that brought us an afternoon snack each night of our stay.

We dined at Mole (dinner), the Market, La Palappa (lunch and dinner), the Asian Fusion Bana restaurant (Eneresto was one our servers there - both were spectacular in addition to the hostess), and Fuego. For breakfast we dined at the two non Royal Service restaurants which both had impressive spreads and options for any palette.

The room and resort is VERY clean. The beach is narrow as reported by others and does have some seaweed present. However, the staff is vigilant about combing the seaweed day and night.

The price is high but we believe it was worth it.

Room Tip: My wife and I stayed on the second floor facing the pool with a partial ocean view. Absolutely no complaints. I can imagine if you were in a room next to the elevator it could be a little noisier as others have mentioned due to the up/downs of the car.
Reviewed 26 September 2012

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon on Sept 17, 2012. Lemme tell you, first impressions of the resort outside....very simple. We were a little worried because it looked like condo living. But when we entered our room....it was better than Vegas!!! the room was phenomenal. King size bed, his and her sinks, double standing room showers...we will definately miss that!!! room service was fantastic, They cleaned our room in the morning AND did a turn down service in the evening when we were out having dinner...every night!!

Food was fantastic. Our favorite was Bana which is an asian fusion cuisine. Portions were just the right amount and if you wanted to order more, which we did, it was no problem.

Breakfast buffet was your typical breakfast: eggs, bacon, toast etc. We loved that this resort was menu style, so you had to wear clothes to go out and eat, rather than people showing up in wet bathing suits.

My only peeve was the beach. I'm a beach person and the beach was beautiful, blue water white sand. However, it was covered in seaweed. They have the nets up so it catches the seaweed, but it didn't do a thing., They had a machine that would drive by and pick up the seaweed, however it didn't do anything. Ive been to resorts where they have staff manually raking up the seaweed. The beach is rocky, so I recommend you bring water shoes, or you'll hurt yourself. We only went to the beach twice, the rest of the time we were at the pool.

Lemme tell you, this pool is great. Swim up bar, with a cafe/grill. Cabana's line up around the pool, so we had our cabana everyday. We would eat, swim, take a nap...fantastic. We tipped our pool guy who waited on us hand and foot with drinks and food.

I would rate this place 8/10 only because the beach was covered in seaweed.

Room Tip: Paying for a room with a swim up is not worth it, We never saw anyone use it, as they were at the main pool. And anyone can swim in it, so not worth it. We left $2/day on our bed for cleaning. They deserve it. Tipping is not mandatory, but if you see how these staff work their butts off, a little goes a long way
3  Thank Anh C
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review on this website and share it with future Paradisus guests.

We are sorry to read that during your stay you found a lot of seaweed on the beach. Seaweed is naturally brought to the shore by the ocean and it is due different reasons, it could be a storm, big waves, etc. We have a daily cleaning program at 6am to remove rocks and seaweed, it is possible that at noon the shore will have seaweed again. We will reinforce our effort about it or maybe modifying the schedule.

We are pleased to read that your overall experience was incredible and you were able to enjoy our facilities, restaurants, décor and attention to details.

We will have our arms open to welcome you again at Paradisus La Perla.