New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“An Excellant Experiance......” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Reef Marina

The Reef Marina
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI Dive Resort located in Playa Del Carmen in Mexico Mayan Riviera, on the beach of the hotel All Inclusive “The Reef Playacar Resort & SPA”.The Reef Marina is a recreational and professional PADI dive center and school. Diving and snorkeling tours are available in Playa Del Carmen,the cenotes and Cozumel.
Edmonton, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An Excellant Experiance......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

Thank you all for a great set of dives and the friendly professional way in which you conduct your business. You have a very organized and eficient operation that puts the customers needs first. Please keep it up as I intend to make many more dive's with Bert, David and Stephan.

Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Personable & Professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Stayed at the Riu hotel next door but was steered toward the Reef Marina dive shop by one of the other guests. Great bunch of guys--laid back yet professional and safety- conscious. Dove with Bert, Bruno, and the owner Stephan. They keep the groups small and manageable. I went on two dives. The first was just myself and another guy Tim (a more experienced diver) with Bert and the second was with three folks getting their open-water certification with Bruno & Stephan. After getting to the bottom on the second dive, Bruno took the cert. group and I was now on a personal guided tour with Stephan. It would be shorter to list what we didn't see. Great trip!

1 Thank Chumster
Detroit, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A Diving Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

I've always wanted to try diving but I was put off by the high cost of certification and the typically pushy attitude of the dive shops locally in Michigan as well as the high pressure sales when i was on vacation...

But this place is different... very different..

All the guys were very laid back when I inquired about taking part in a free SCUBA demo in my resort pool and offered an intro to SCUBA class for me after the demo were I could participate in a shallow dive at a local reef.... "Intro to SCUBA"
I was hooked... but again the crew didn't push to further my commitment...and sure enough 2 ocean dives later and a few pool sessions and I'm now a "SCUBA DIVER" certified individual
I plan to return to finish my "OPEN WATER" Cert with this shop within the next year....

The expertise of the employees, Stephane, Bruno, Bert, Henry, the dive boat captains and crews were fantastic.

I feel confident in the skills that I have acquired and my eyes have been opened to what I need to learn to become a safer and more proficient diver.

This shop specializes in 3 very important items:
1. Customer relations
2. Safe Diving
3. Great Instruction

Now... here's a bit of a cautionary note: This is not a shop were there is an abundance of gear available for purchase... they have some of the very basics, a few masks, a few snorkels, some fins, etc...I'm sure that if your looking for something special they can point you in the right direction...

Great Job Guys - Thanks Again!!!!

1 Thank semtorque
Mentor, Ohio
“The Reef Marina is all you need to know about diving in Playa!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

I just came back from Mexico and had the pleasure of diving with Bruno(you are the man)
from The Reef Marina. Ten days in Mexico,8 dives,a dive trip to Cozumel and chocolate chip cookies and bottled water in between dives.Seriously,these are the people that you want to deal with in Playa.First class all the way!Thank you all for everything.We had a blast and we will be back!

Calgary
“Best instruction I have had anywhere - for any sport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

I had not tried scuba before. Did the free pool intro, then signed up for the package with a indoor session (mostly video), pool session, and a reef dive. I work with outdoor instructors and these guys gave the clearest instructions I have ever experienced. There were no other clients for the pool session or reef dive, so I had one-on-one instruction. For the descent to the reef - about 11 m - my ears were very slow to adjust but the instructor/guide coached me with hand signals. A wonderful 45 minute drift dive. Highly recommended.

Visited February 2011