This is our second stay at Mahekal. Our reservation was for a Garden View Room. When checking in we asked if we could upgrade to a upstairs palapa. We settled into room 171. This is in a quiet area and close Fuego, the ocean and our favorite pool.
The room was beautiful and the palapa roof was an architectural beauty.
During our stay we decided to inquire about a room with a plunge pool. We moved to room 69 for the last three nights of our trip. We loved the plunge pool, but this unit shares the courtyard and plunge pool with another room. During our time in the new room we had the area to ourselves as the other unit was vacant. This area would be nice for a family as kids could stay in one of the rooms, and parents in the other. The courtyard is beautiful and has a door that provides for total privacy. This room seemed to have a bit more noise than our initial room, but nothing that caused us any problems. And it's proximity to the Itsy pool and ocean was great.
As with our last stay at Mahekal, the staff working on the property are really part of what keeps us coming back. Specifically the staff at Fuego and the Itsy pool.
From Captain Ruben who so kindly brought a shawl to cover my shoulders one cool evening while we were dining at Fuego. This extra level of outstanding customer service is both heartfelt and very sweet. Gabby was also exceptional in her ability to understand where we liked to be seated, and she checked back with us to ensure that we were pleased with our dining experience. She is truly lovely, and each night started with her genuine and beautiful smile, and an accommodating manner. She always helped to make our evening special.
I'd also like to mention the guys that helped us while we lounged by the ocean and the pools, as well as when we dined at Fuego. Rubicel, Jonathon, Jared, Miguel, Elias, and Jesus. They served us the best fish tacos, bottles of Chardonnay, and occasional tequila. Also amazing pizzas! The flank steak and arugula was a favorite. These gentlemen went out of their way to wait on us. Including moving us several times from the beach to the pool!
Also wanted to acknowledge Barbara at the Dive shop. She was kind, easy to speak to and just delightful to work with.
As was the case with our last stay, one young man stands out for us in terms of customer service skills, and being one of the brightest, sweetest, most kind and helpful of the Mahekal staff. His name is Manolo. This young man made our trip worthwhile in so many ways. He provided us with each and everything we needed/wanted while on the beach. He also was the server for our romantic beach dinner. He excels in mastering the balance between professionalism and giving the feeling that you are with your best friend. It's difficult to explain, but one of the reasons we come back to Fuego is Manolo and the other staff mentioned here. As well as other staff like the female chefs at Fuego, .just didn't write down enough of the staffs' names!!
Mahekal is a special resort. It's not a mega-city like resort with hundreds of vacationers. It's smaller, more intimate. It's an oasis. Green, lush, quiet -simply amazing. It's as though you stepped out of reality and into a tropical dream.
Thank you to all who made our vacation a relaxing experience. So much so that when the morning of our departure arrived, we decided we just could not leave, so with the help of Boli- amazing concierge, we stayed one extra day. Boli helped us with flights, arranging the room for a additional night, everything.
I write this as I get ready to leave work for the weekend, my mind full of beautiful memories.. See you all in July 2018!
PS: Best room service!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico - Playa Del Carmen