2 friends and I stayed at the Shangri La Caribe for a week in January. As others have stated, the grounds are beautiful and the location perfect.
The food was more than satisfactory. Even the dinners, which many have critisized, were much better than I was expecting. My friends, who both work in upscale Montreal restaurants, found the dinners very good as well. I really don't know what people expect for a dinner that's included in the room price but I have eaten in expensive "fine dining" restaurants that I did not enjoy as much.
It was most definitely the nicest spot that we saw in Playa del Carmen. It truly is a shame that this hotel will be demolished to put up condos, which are a dime a dozen around there. I wish the new owners would rethink their plans and realize how unique and inviting this hotel is and be proud to keep it the oasis it is. But, the almighty dollar beckons I guess.
I really hope that I can make it back there before it closes and enjoy it one more time. Playa del Carmen is nice but it is the Shangri La Caribe that I would return for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico - Playa Del Carmen