We arrived at the Playacar Palace January 2nd, after a week with our kids and granddaughter at the Grand Mayan. This was our second week in Mexico - just the 2 of us.
We were there on an RCI PP-AI exchange which did not include the $1500 Palace credit, but the price was greatly reduced and we did all the tours in February 2010 when we stayed at the Sun Palace. We were offered the $1500 promotion if we would go on a Sales presentation, but we don't like to waste vacation days doing the timeshare sales thing. We hear they are especially bad in Mexico although several people that we met said they were not bad at the Palace.
We were given room 236 on the south side of the pool, just above the pool bar. The only complaint about the room is it seems the 2 person hot tubs were added "later" and it was difficult to negotiate out the balcony sliding door - it was a squeeze. Other than that, the room was perfect. The shower was great - strong pressure & hot. The maid service was excellent.
The food was what you would expect at any Palace resort. Buffet for breakfast and lunch adding in the Italian & Asian restaurants at night. All were good with the exception of beef. I've never had a good cut of beef in Mexico and this was no exception. Didn't bother me as I usually go for the fish anyways.
The service at this Palace resort was very good everywhere you went - restaurants, bars, pool. We always tipped our servers as the service was very good - even though it was not necessary.
The location of this resort was great. Walk through a courtyard (guarded) and you are on the ferry dock to Cozumel and 5th Avenue. My husband hates the 5th avenue type of thing, but I love it (the haggling - Lady, just a dollar!) especially the people watching. We found a massage place just east of 5th on Calle 4 on the north side of the road with Massages 2/$40/1hr - and they were good massages. We went 3 times.
We took one day over to Cozumel. Just off the Playa Pier, we bought a snorkling package for $30 each and then took the ferry over. We were picked up on the ferry pier for our trip and when we were done, we were dropped off at the Cozumel Palace dock and spent the rest of the day there by the pool and for lunch. Cozumel Palace is about 4-5 blocks from the shopping area of Cozumel and about 10 blocks from the Ferry Pier, so we spent a little bit of time in the square before we caught our ferry back.
We spent one day over at Aventura Spa Palace. This is a beautiful resort and we have already decided to spend our 30th Anniversary in December there. You cant beat the $1500 Spa promotion Palace has going on now. The pools were wonderful there but there was no beautiful beach like at the Playacar.
Just a note about exchanging money: We exchanged money several times downtown and the going rate was 11.70 where the straight exchange was 12.34. Although the resort had signs that the exchange rate was 11.00, when I did exchange, it was 12.00. Easier and safer to exchange at the hotel, so try this before you go to a public booth on 5th avenue.
Also, ALWAYS confirm the cost of the cab ride BEFORE you get in the cab. Hotel posted 440 Pesos to the airport which would be just under $36, but the cab driver charged us $45 at the airport.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playacar Palace, a trendy beachfront resort located steps away from Playa del Carmen's famous 5th Avenue and the Cozumel Ferry Dock. Our all-inclusive, luxury resort features 201 appointed rooms, 3 restaurants and 4 bars. This resort is considered the perfect spot to relax during the day and enjoy the nightlife and charms of "Playa" at night. Playacar Palace is perfect for families, couples, and group getaways. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Stayforlong S.L., TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Playacar Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playacar Palace Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Playacar Palace Mexico
- Playacar Palace Resort
- Playacar Palace Riviera Maya, Mexico - Playa Del Carmen