“This may just be my new favourite place to stay in Mexico!!”

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #45 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 November 2017

I wrote the draft for this review while sitting in the beautiful marble lobby yesterday (Nov 21) while waiting for my transportation to the airport to fly home. I normally wait to write my reviews until I get home but I just didn't feel like this should wait. If you are considering this resort...DO IT!! You won't regret it!! I was there from November 14-21 (2017) and I can't wait to go back!

This was my 9th trip to this area. I have stayed at the Bahia Principe (4 times) and once (each) at the Blue Bay Esmeralda, the Catalonia Yucatan, the Grand Sirens and the Barcelona Maya Beach Resort. As is evident from my list, the Bahia Principe has been my favourite...from 2003 until...now. Don't get me wrong...I still love that resort, especially the Tulum side...but this place, the Iberostar Quetzal...it is *magical*!

Yes, I will agree that the buffet food could be better, maybe with the addition of a couple of theme nights...but there was *always* something to be found to eat and even in the wee hours of the morning, I would *never* classify it as "prison food" as one review said. Breakfast was always delicious and I loved the fact that they had a panini press on the buffet so that you could build your own if you wanted to. There were a couple of omelet/egg stations and the pancakes were very good! I usually had lunch down on the beach, where you could get freshly grilled burgers, chicken, fish and a good selection of fruit and vegetables. Dinner was, I have to say, pretty repetitive, but the food was always freshly replenished and there was a good selection of Mexican and North American food, as well as a pasta station. If, however, you are looking for different food items every day, you may want to choose a different resort. If food is not necessarily your main focus, then you owe it to yourself to at least check this place out for a week. It is fantastic!

Now let me talk about the two a la carte restaurants I went to... The first was the Mexican restaurant, La Hacienda...where I had the best steak I have ever had in Mexico!! Chef Pablo Estreya did a wonderful job and Nathanael's service was impeccable!! When I asked him to pass along my compliments to the chef, he brought him to my table so that I could thank him personally! What an awesome touch! I had the ribeye at the steakhouse the next day. It was okay and Dora's service was fine but in the end, I decided to use my third reservation to return to La Hacienda! Nathanael was very busy that night but still did a good job taking care of me. Maybe next time I will try the Mediterranean and the Japanese restaurant, but I will DEFINITELY return to the Mexican restaurant!

One suggestion to the Iberostar: for single travelers, why not offer up to six a la carte dinners, since the reservations are normally for two people? Just an idea for those who tire of buffets.

My room was 2250 (top floor). Some have complained that this building is too noisy. I agree that you can hear the music from the pool, but only slightly if the patio door is closed. I absolutely loved this location. Francesca, the lady who took care of making up my room, always had some lovely towel art for me and left my fridge very well stocked! Perfecto! Her attention to detail was terrific!!

The jungle running through this resort is gorgeous! The wildlife, from the flamingos to the howler monkeys is incredible! It is SOOOOO great to just wander through there. The grounds and the beach are all very well maintained and everyone takes the time to wave with a smile and a friendly "Hola" as you walk by. Reply in kind and add "Buenas dias/tardes/noches" (for morning/afternoon/evening) and the smiles get even brighter!

Tip for travelers: When traveling outside of where you live, try to make an effort to learn at least the most basic of greetings in the language of where you are going. It really does make a difference when you take the time and make the effort!! At least, that has been my experience. My Spanish may not be all that great, but I try and I learn something new each time I travel.

Now for the Animation Team - Star Friends: I want to send a special thank you to Luis for the great aquafit classes. Bravo! Biceps and triceps of steel!! Very special thanks to Jeffe, who was both surprised and very pleased by my performance (very last minute) of Fancy by Reba McIntyre at karaoke night. He is able to get even the most reticent of wallflowers up and dancing poolside and always had a kind word and an encouraging smile. I want to send a very special thanks to Chocolate as well. It is amazing how well he remembers people. He is kind, thoughtful and a great member of your team. It is clear that he loves his job and he is terrific at it!! Muchas gracias!

And now, for the best of all!! Thank you so much to Jose (Cheppe) and Severino (Sever) who took great care of me in the lobby bar, El Paso. It was consistently the perfect way to end a fabulous day!! These two gentlemen handled even the most difficult (intoxicated) guest with grace and professionalism. It was a pleasure to watch them work. Being in the service industry myself, I know and appreciate how difficult it can be sometimes. They always had a smile and a hello for me, and the fact that they remembered my name every day after only one introduction was a testament to how invested they are in their jobs. Well done, Amigos! You both deserve a raise!! If there is some sort of staff recognition or award that is given at the Iberostar, these two both deserve it! Muchas gracias otra vez para su hospitalidad y por su amistad!!!!

I hope to be able to return to this resort soon. It is always more expensive to travel solo, so it may be a while before I can do it, but I would definitely like to come back! There are literally hundreds of places to choose from in the area, and I've been to a few, but this one may just become my "go-to" instead of the Bahia Principe. Not only was the staff outstanding, but the rooms were gorgeous and the grounds ... simply amazing! The added bonus? Not one single person (staff member) ever made me feel awkward or out of place just because I was a single female traveling alone! No matter where I go, I almost ALWAYS get the question, "How come you are traveling alone? Where is your husband?" but here...NOT ONCE...and that is saying something!! This is yet again a testament to the professionalism and courtesy of the whole crew. Well done, Iberostar Quetzal!

Hasta manyana!

Room Tip: Building 22 is quite central to everything.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Dear guest,

We are thankful for the opportunity to have hosted you at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for detailing the wonderful experience you had at our resort. It is of great honor and motivation to read each one of your kind comments, staff mentions and recognition as it is our main goal that our beloved guests enjoy each aspect of their stay at our lovely natural facilities.

It has been such a pleasure to serve you and to know you left with the greatest satisfaction, rest assured that your regards towards our staff will be gladly shared with them and each one of your suggestions will be taken into account to look for improvement.

We will happily be looking forward for your next stay at our magical hotel!

Hasta pronto!

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,042)

Reviewed 22 November 2017

We returned to the Iberostar Quetzal for yes...our 13th visit. Some people may think the number 13 is unlucky, but not for us. It was once again an amazing stay at the Iberostar Quetzal property.

Our check in went so smooth. We were greeted with smiles and a fabulous refreshing Congo drink. We were on the way to our room in less than 5 minutes. Thanks!!! This year we decided to book and ocean front room and it was worth the extra $. Our room was amazing with a beautiful view of the water. LOVED IT!

Our stay was so relaxing. We don't do excursion much anymore, because we have done them all in the past visits to the Quetzal/Tucan. We were on the beach every day. The beach at Quetzal/Tucan is amazing. There was little seaweed but that didn't stop us from playing in the water every day. That is part of nature.

Every morning the grounds staff cleaned up the trash on the beach left from the visitors the night before. Sad that people can't pick up after themselves. The grounds keepers did a great job of keeping the beach and the grounds clean. Thanks!!!

We had great weather for most of the week. We only had 1 day of rain which really didn't matter...hey you are in MEXICO!!! The staff still had plenty for us to do even though it was raining. If you didn’t feel like doing anything during the rain…It was Siesta time!!!

We enjoyed the Japanese, Mexican and Steak Specialty restaurants this year. The food was all great - cooked perfectly. The buffets and beach grill were good, we always found something to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No complaints here!

I want to thank the entire staff. They all work so hard to please all the visitors. They do an amazing job and always have a smile on their faces. No matter what job they did, they took the time to say hello when we walked by.

There are a few that I would like to THANK…

Daniel - the ZUMBA KING for keeping me moving

Karen - the HORSESHOE QUEEN for cheering me on when I finally got a RINGER!

Pasqual - for serving great drinks at the beach bar with a smile on his face every time I saw him

Hilario & William - for serving us amazing drinks in the theater

Raul - for the best ISLANDER drink ever in the Tucan lobby

Dahlia - for cleaning our room every day and leaving a few extra waters on request

Isabel - for serving ice cream on the beach and serving us in the beach restaurant

Alberto - for treating us like VIPs every time he saw us coming to the restaurant

We are looking forward to our return to the Quetzal in June 2018. This time we are celebrating our Anniversary. What a great place for us to celebrate…in PARADISE with our Quetzal/Tucan family!

This truly is our home away from home.

nuestro hogar lejos del hogar
mi segunda casa

GRACIAS!!!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WSCo1234

Dear guest,

On behalf of our Management, we would like to express our gratitude for your preference towards IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal all over the years.

It has been an honor to welcome you every time and to hear that our charming nature, lovely surroundings and the attentiveness from our staff have been the highlights of your stays. Please know that your kind mentions will be passed along to our staff members for their outstanding service.

We will be gladly looking forward for your next stay at your second home, we will be honored to celebrate your Anniversary with you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 November 2017

Iberostar Tucan and Iberostar Quetzal are two hotels that are connected and share many common areas. Excellent organized, this resort is good for all ages. Beautiful pool, ocean, beach, receptions. Nice vegetation and animals. Great food and service. Impressed about the service at restaurant buffet Cozumel. Many thanks to CARLOS!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank George B

Dear guest,

Thank you for allowing us to host you on your first visit to the Rivera Maya.

It gives us great pleasure to read that your experience at our facilities was a memorable one on all aspects.

We appreciate your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you again soon at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Cordially,

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Went here with a group of friends. Overall, the resort was decent and the pool was nice. The food was pretty brutal, one of the people in our group described it as prison food and another said it tasted like our food was dredged out of yesterdays trash. If you are looking for a good deal this was priced pretty low but you do get what you pay for. The rooms were fairly outdated too, but if you're going to Mexico to hangout in your room there are other issues.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank MattD1125

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We are sorry to read your impression regarding the culinary experience at our hotel. Our Chefs are always working to create new dishes in order to please all tastes and palates, however, they are also always happy to hear our guests’ opinions to look for improvement.

We hope in a close future we can have the opportunity to host you again at our resort.

Attentively,

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Second time to Iberostar Quetzal. Without exception every employee at the resort was professional, friendly, and helpful. Couldn't ask for better customer service. Everyone tries very hard to make you feel welcome and ensure you have a good time. Rooms are a little tired, but very quite and comfortable. Grounds are always spotless. Buffet food is great and you can get fed nearly 24 hours a day somewhere on the resort property. 45 minute easy walk to Playa Del Carmen via sidewalk or 30 minutes by beach. $7 cab ride each way if you would rather ride.

One thing I want to mention is that during this trip, the resort tries to set you up to get a 90 minute presentation. They promote this as showing you some of the new things the resort is offering. We declined initially but after the 3rd day of getting flyers under our door we went ahead and did it. Big mistake. 90 minutes turned into 2 1/2 hours of hard core sale. What it really is, is a time share pitch disguised as an Iberostar travel club. I really resent that Iberostar took some of my valuable vacation time for this purpose although I agreed to it. I was mislead though as to it's purpose.

For this reason, I won't be back to Iberostar. This property or any other.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravisOklahoma

Dear guest,

Thank you for recently returning to IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

It was a pleasure to host you again and to hear that you greatly enjoyed your vacations at our facilities. We are also grateful for your kind recognition towards our amazing staff who truly strives into bringing our guests the most memorable experiences.

On the other hand, we are sorry to read that you felt mislead regarding our IBEROSTAR Club invitation. We understand this program might not be of all our guests’ preferences and your feedback will help us improve our invitation approaching.

We sincerely hope you give us the pleasure to welcome you again at our resort.

Kindly,