Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$374
US$320
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$251
US$218
  • Breakfast included
Le Reve Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$320
US$234
  • Pool
Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$90
  • Pool
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$329
US$263
US$486
US$436
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$449
US$426
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$456
US$342
US$755
US$725
Hotels.com
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,300
US$876
5,275 results
All reviewsstar friendshowler monkeysspecialty restaurantsjungle atmosphereswim up barjapanese restaurantthomas cooksports pooldressel diversother resortstowel hutjungle feelate at the japanesetenderloinmain buffetgated communitymagic show
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed here the first of October with our two teenage sons and had an incredible time! I had rented a private van from Destinos Magico for $107.00 that took us from the airport directly to the resort and then picked us back up at the end of our stay to take us to the airport. It was about a 40 minute ride. When you arrive at the airport, make sure you walk all the way outside to where the taxis are & you'll see someone standing there holding a sign with your name on it & Destinos Magico. Before we could get out to the taxis, we had several drivers come up to us asking us where we were going. Just say "No, gracias" and keep walking, they were quite persistant!
Now, to the good stuff! This resort is set in the jungle right on the beach! The grounds are beautiful and immaculately kept. Also, there are monkeys, agouti, coatamundi, and all kinds of beautiful birds walking around. Our boys thought this was really cool! They also enjoyed the huge lake pool! Their dad and I enjoyed relaxing on the beautiful beach which was just a few feet away from our lovely room (we stayed in building 21, not ocean front but very close to the beach & pool). We used the kayaks one day and rented jet skiis another. Also, had an incredible massage right on the beach! I felt safe to go out and run on the beach every morning.
As far as the food, I would rate it good overall. Lot's of food to choose from, some things were great and others just ok. I think the Steak House was our favorite along with the Japanese. All of the staff were very nice! Our room was great and I would leave a tip ($5) every day with a note for more water and sure enough there were several bottles when I would return to the room!
We took a taxi for $7 to 5th Ave. in Playa Del Carmen to shop one evening and rented a car for a day ($59) to go see the ruins in Tulum & to go see the monkeys at The Jungle Place. Other than that, we just stayed at this lovely resort to relax & play! For the price, you just can't beat this resort! I hope we can come back soon!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank jdhsdh
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Stayed at Iberostar Quetzal with wife, 2yo and 2 month old baby daughter in October 2011 for 2 weeks and really enjoyed it again, after having visited Tucan in Oct 2010. We usually don't stay at the same city or accommodation, but we had no doubts about booking this again. Whichever side (Quetzal or Tucan) you choose, it does not matter as it really is the same resort.
Seen from the beach, Tucan is the half of the resort on the left (south), Quetzal the one on the right (north). October is low season, and the main buffet was only open on the Quetzal side this year (the other way around last year), but as both are 1 minute apart, that shouldn't really influence your choice I'd say. Have been to Iberostar Bavaro in the Dominican Republic before, so can compare here.

Room: Spacious (seating area not as big as in the DR) and comfortable, with small balcony. We stayed in a room in block 22 (blocks run from 20 on the beach to 29 near the reception, Tucan has similar numbering from 10 to 19). I.e. close to pool, pool-side restaurant, and beach. Room was thoroughly cleaned every day.
With 2 kids under 3, I'd recommend booking a room with king size bed on a ground floor. And ask for 2 wooden baby cots (2 sizes available :-)) to be put next to it when you arrive. If you put the lazy chair and table on your terrace, this leaves plenty of space inside.

Food & Drinks: Good quality food and drinks (I liked the fruit and vegetables a little better in the DR), and friendly service. Of the restaurants besides the buffet (Italian, Mexican, Japanese, and Steak House), we favored the Italian. Steak House is also good, recommend the Tenderloin. Japanese is fun to sit around the table with other guests, but the food quality is inferior. Mexican was a let down last year after having eaten 'real' Mexican inland, so we didn;t even try to go there this year.

Grounds: Beautiful (better than DR) and spacious, with a jungle full of animals (great for our elder daughter) to walk through on your way to the bigger of the 2 breakfast buffet areas. Agoutis, Monkeys, Tucans, Peacocks, Flamingos, Chickens, Lizzards, Turtles, and many more animals were present. There is a separate childrens pool, and right next to it a slide, climb rack and the usual playground apparatus in the sand for the little ones: ideal!

Location: This hotel is located just 5 minutes and now 70 pesos (roughly usd 5 or eur 4) by taxi to or from Playa del Carmen 5th Avenue. Good for shopping, a massage, or diving (significant cost difference with those services at or around the hotel), and the ferry to Cozumel (140 pesos one way, 30 minutes by boat last year). About 5 minutes walk towards Playa del Carmen from the hotel you can find a Starbucks with free internet. (fyi - In case you're considering different Iberostars - the Iberostar Paraiso Maya is located away from everything between Cancun and Playa del Carmen).

Other: Thrifty has on-site car rental available next to the Quetzal reception, and it's easy to rent a car and visit the city of Valladolid (~2 hrs) and Chichen Itza (done last year) or Ek Balam (this year) (both roughly 45 mins further) together in a day. Pre-arranged and organized excursions are bookable on-site as well if you like.
Hotel also has tennis courts, shooting/archery range, a fitness center, a spa, and a night club, though I didn't make use of them.

Would surely recommend, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Room Tip: Location: The lower the number, the closer to the beach (blocks run from 20 to 29, with roughly 20 = beach, 22 = pool, 24 = jungle, 26 = buffet, 28 = reception, 29 = disco). With small kids (<3): Book a room with king size bed on a ground floor. And ask for 2 wooden baby cots (2 sizes available :-)) to be put next to it when you arrive. If you put the lazy chair and table on your terrace, this leaves plenty of space inside.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
25  Thank Haarlem
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This is my fourth different Iberostar hotel and naturally I wish to compare them. In many ways this is the best. However in some ways the Iberostar Costa Dorada is better.
Location
The hotel is last but one on the Playacar beach and about a 45 minute walk from 5th Avenue (shopping centre of Playa Del Carmen). However a small shopping centre is a 5 minute walk away. If you are a beach lover, there can be few better than this. The area outside the hotel is very safe for tourists and surrounded by many luxury villas.
Staff
Without question the best group of people I have ever encountered. It would be wrong of me to highlight any individual because the maid kept our room immaculate, the restaurant and bar staff were great, the animation team were outstanding and reception staff extremely helpful and polite.
Restaurants/Bars
The buffet did not have the same quality and variety as the Costa Dorada but the alacarte restaurants were all first class. No bar or restaurant has air conditioning and on a hot murky afternoon/evening they were not as comfortable as I would have liked. Remeber if you want a branded drink you must ask for it by name or you will automatically receive a local one.
Room
Probably the biggest disappointment. I thought it was not to the standard as the caribbean hotels I have visited. Although the maid made up for this as she kept it absolutely pristine.
Pool area
The pool was large and mostly warm but the area was probably the least attractive as the beds were left out overnight and the area was not the cleanest. This may seem unfair as staff were always about cleaning but this appeared mostly ineffective with bird droppings etc, regularly found on the beds.
The 'Jungle'
You will hear many reviews speak about the jungle and the animals. There are so many different creatures running around I have to say that sometimes I felt we were living in a zoo! It wasn't really for me but many people I spoke to found it amazing. It is certainly different to come out of a pool and walk into an inguana! If you have children who like animals and wish to see different ones this may be the place for you.
Overall
This is a very good and well run hotel. Very good value for money and well worth a visit. However we like to keep in touch with family at home while away but found the WIFI price at the hotel too expensive. We walked the short distance each day to Starbucks for a frapachinno and obtained the wifi free.
I do have copies of the drinks lists and hotel information/hotel layout if anyone wishes. Send a message with your email and I'll happily send it to you.
If you are looking for a lively hotel with an animal twist this is for you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
22  Thank merchant
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Went to this hotel in early September for two weeks, I’d go back tomorrow it was such a wonderful holiday. After reading some of the reviews here I’d been a little worried, but i shouldn't have worried! The food was brilliant, lots of choice and a great range of restaurants to choose from as well as the buffets. The facilities were great, the staff are so helpful nothing is ever a problem and as for the Star Team, they never stop they work so hard and really made a difference to our holiday the activities were good fun and the evening shows were amazing, especially the Mexican show. We were lucky enough to be there for Independence Day and the amount of effort the hotel went to was brilliant, a lot of Mexican people stayed in the hotel that weekend and i think that speaks volumes itself.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone, the animals in the jungle part of the hotel really made it that little bit more special walking back form the beach/pool, you never knew what you were going to see. As I’ve said before, I’d go back tomorrow if i could

Room Tip: My room was a ground floor room which meant the wildlife came to visit on occassion which was great!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Gillie86
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel from the 12th September until the 26th.This hotel is brilliant. The staff are extremely helpfull and the hotel and animals are amazing. We got a great view of the monkeys from our balcony.

The food is really good at the a la carte restaurant. Steak House and Italian are by far the best, would definetly recommend the Lamb Chops at the italian. Buffet can be a bit repetative after 2 weeks though so we sometime went into Playa Del Carmen for lunch.

The entertainment staff were also really good and work very hard to keep everyone entertained from 10.30am until 12.30am. They also join you in Mascara which is a trendy little nightclub onsite.

i would definelty visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple