Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$351
Bookit.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
Hotels.com
US$486
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$224
US$439
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$424
  • Breakfast included
Le Reve Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$320
US$187
  • Pool
US$405
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$177
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,042
14,562 results
All reviewsmeeting pointriviera sectioncupcake cafeadult sectionhacienda suitesavenue barle gourmetcorderofestival buffetgrand buffetpremium baritalian buffetselect clubswim up barkids clubelite poolfamily section
Reviewed 29 January 2008

We just returned from a week at Sandos. The hotel is beautiful,immaculate,& staff eager to please.The pools are nice, the beach awesome & absolutely the best in the strip of hotels.
However, we were very disappointed that there was so little activity,music or entertainment other than the nightly show.If you are looking for a resort that seems to cater more to families, you have found it.There were too many small children,so spent a lot of time at the adults only pool.You do have to get to beach extremely early to get a beach chair.The animation team could do a lot more to get people involved!!!!
The food was adequate but drinks were very weak.If you want a laid back do nothing vacation& you don't mind a lot of kids you will enjoy Sandos. Would we go back?Emphaticly,NO, but not because of hotel or staff,just not enough to do. Kay

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank WisconsinCaseyl
Reviewed 29 January 2008

I would definitely recommend this hotel - from the champagne upon arrival, to the last morning of our stay, the experience was great!!! The beach was excellent, with lots of palapas to sit under. Some resorts don't have so many. The food was terrific in terms of quality and variety. We ate in two of the "reservation" restaurants, but honestly, I think the buffet was just as good. For the more adventurous, there were lots of dishes to try, but also lots of familiar foods. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and accommodating. The ambience of the whole place was lovely. We booked a private van to bring us from the airport and take us back, which was well worth it, and even with this, it takes an hour to get there. We stayed in Tower A and had a partial ocean/pool side view. It was great. Everything is very clean and the whole complex is immaculately kept.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
10  Thank golyn
Reviewed 29 January 2008

I travelled to the Sandos Playacar with my wife and two children ages 9 and 11. Sandos definitely caters to families with children. The rooms, activities, food and beverage service, facilities, etc. all live up to the 4 star rating. The beach is the one exceptional feature of this resort, particularly given the beach erosion in the Playacar area.

The bathrooms in the older section of the resort, i.e. not the hacienda section, are newly renovated. However, the design of the shower was not particularly well thought out, and the drain in our shower did not work very well. Several calls and visits from maintenance later, the shower drain was finally repaired. I have seen other reviewers comment on this, so, as I say, I believe it is a design issue.

Commenting on the hacienda section, I would not pay extra for the haciendas. They are very far away from all of the resort's facilities (dining areas, bars, pools, beach), and you have to do a lot of walking if you stay in the hacienda section. The haciendas might make sense if you are travelling with a large group and wanted some privacy, but if you are travelling with just your family or a small group, and young children in particular, I would avoid the haciendas and spend the extra dough for an oceanview room instead.

To summarize, Sandos Playacar is a first rate 4 star resort that caters very well to families with children. It has a fabulous beach, and I would consider staying there again if I went back to the Playacar area.

Stayed: January 2008
14  Thank OilersRule
Reviewed 26 January 2008

We have just returned from a week at the Sandos Playacar Beach Resort. My husband and myself along with our six year old daughter had a wonderful time. Firstly, the hotel was spic and span..everything was clean and well appointed. The rooms were exactly as pictured in the websites and all the bathrooms were newly renovated. The showers were floor to ceiling glass with a bench and sliding shower head. As for the restaurants, we were very happy with the selections in the main buffet, and the beach buffet...we found no need to book reservations for the other restaurants on site. Each night featured a different type of cuisine, Mexican, International, Italian, etc. Breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets were great. Even my finicky six year old found plenty of choices. On the beach, they have another hot dog, hamburger, french fry hut and two additional bars. As for the beach...it was spectacular..the only beach left on the strip. All other hotels basically had a cliff where the beach used to be with gigantic sand bags being used to stop further loss of sand. It looked like whales laying all over the beach. Sandos' beach is fully intact and sits directly adjacent to a reserve with additional beach for walking. We never felt pressured to tip any of the servers, although we did, we made sure the bartender was going to be working for the first few days and tipped him $20 US..he provided us with very "good" drinks. We also brought along our own cups with lids so we were able to take drinks up to our room when we were going in for the night. Plenty of beer was provided in our mini fridge and when we found we needed anything it was brought to our room on an extremely timely manner. It is a very family oriented resort, however, there is an adult pool. We were not bothered by the amount of children as there is plenty of room for all. All rooms (except the haciendas) are very close to all amenities and it was very easy to go to our room several times a day. As entertainment goes, we were very pleased with all the evening events. Our daughter was able to enjoy a kiddie disco every night and they had two pinatas for the kids on two evenings. Every night brought different vendors to the "plaza" between the pool and lobby..one night had a band playing and in the mornings we were provided with champagne and orange juice or caesars. We loved everything. The only warning is in regards to the on site "Royal Club" time share people. BE CAREFUL...if you don't want to spend a morning listening to a seminar avoid them. I went with the full intent of avoiding them but they approached me as if they were there to provide me with a schedule of hotel activities etc...they wear baby blue shirts and if you tell them right up front that you are not interested they leave you alone. For entertainment we booked a day trip with Edventure Tours. I contacted them via the internet and gave them a deposit through Paypal. They picked us up at our hotel and we spent the whole day zip lining, snorkeling, eating at an authenic mexican beach bar etc. I recommend them if you want to avoid all the crowds that book through the hotel. We would definitely go back to this hotel

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
35  Thank bethabeau
Reviewed 25 January 2008

We just returned from a great New Years vacation at the Sandos Playacar & must say it was a fantastic all around experience. Newly renovated and very well-maintained, I would recommend this hotel to even the most discerning of tastes.

We were a group of 24 people, ranging from young singles to grandparents, and there was something for everyone to do. There was daily aerobics in the pool, volleyball games on the beach, parasailing (extra cost), a pottery painting station for kids & adults, and even a sports bar with a plasma TV for rainy days. I would also like to highlight the great spirit & fun attitude of one of the animators, Victor, who always made sure we were having a good time.

The location of everything within the resort- be it the restaurants, pool or beach- is very centralized & easily accessible. It was very practical unlike many large resorts where you find yourself walking miles to get anywhere. And it's location from downtown Playa (where all the action is) is pretty good as well. NOT walking distance, but only a 10 mins & $5 taxi ride away. We went to town almost every night.

The beach was beautiful & by far the nicest of all the resorts along the coast (we know because we walked the whole shore). We never had trouble getting lawnchairs fo our big group & this was during peak season!

The buffet restaurants were quite good with fresh fish & meats being grilled daily. Not to mention the amazing guacamole, which was a huge hit with our group. Probably the best quality food I've experienced at an all-inclusive to date, and I've been to many 5-star hotels across the Carribean.

All in all, it was a great experience & I would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
25  Thank Carine1320