“did not like the way they segregate people by different color wrist bands.”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #59 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 1 April 2012

They segregate people on the beach by different color wrist bands. Was not informed of this when reservation was made or when we checked-in. Hotel security person was very rude and embarrasing. Did not speak english, could not communicate with him. Entertainment was poor. I would not recommend Sandos Playacara. Was very noisy at night. I did not get any satisfaction when i complained.

Room Tip: don't stay in run of the house room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jconsidine02
Write a ReviewReviews (13,459)

Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed at Sandos Playacar the week of March 10th. We were vacationing with a group of about 20 families for our children's senior year trip. The weather was absolutely beautiful and the grounds of the resort were very nice as well. I have two major complaints about this property, the first being the beds. They are as hard as sleeping on a slab of concrete and basically we were. The mattresses are literally placed on concrete platforms and all of the rooms are like this, not just some of them. My family had 4 rooms between us and they were all that way and I asked some of the other families, everyone had the same complaint. My other MAJOR concern is theft. We started our week off with a member of our group witnessing a person in the lobby area of "The Meeting Point" screaming that their safe had been stolen from their room. We then went to our room and my husband looked at the safe, noticed that it was secure and bolted, it could not be moved. The next incident that happened was my older son left his room for breakfast and while eating realized he had left his iphone in the room on the charger. He finished eating and went back to get it. When he got to his room, he noticed the maid had been there, even though the Do Not Disturb sign had been on the door and went to the charger where his phone was plugged in and the phone was gone! He then went outside to the room below his, where the maid was now cleaning and he politely asked her where his phone was. She replied with "no comprendo". My son was very upset and started screaming at her saying she was the only other person in the room and she had to have the phone. (My son is a 6 ft tall, 270lb football player). I beleive he also made some threatening statements to her. Amazingly, out of her pocket comes his iphone. Unbelievable! We filed a complaint with the Assistant Manager of the resort, named Ivan. He said he would interview the maid but that she had already gone home for the day. Interestingly enough, she had the next two days off and we departed on the day she came back to work. Ivan specifically asked us to please keep this quiet and that he would get to the bottom of this. I asked Ivan to direct his staff to not enter any of our four rooms and that we would call for towels when we were in. He did NOTHING!!! More and more people were talking about the safe being stolen and now my sons iphone. The next time we went to our room, out of curiosity, I looked at our safe to see how they were bolted down. I literally could pick our safe up and remove it from the shelf. There were wood shavings on the shelf under the safe and a couple of screws or bolts. Our safe had been unsecured from the time we first checked in until a few days later. I think they have a big racket going on down there and take advantage of what they perceive to be wealthy Americans. We also heard from a cab driver that iphones sell in Mexico for $1200US. Whether this is true or not, we don't know but it would explain the maid incident. So leave your iphones at home!

On a positive note, we went into town every night for dinner and found this wonderful Italian restaurant called Glass Bar. The food is amazing and the owner Nikoli, is very gracious. We loved it so much, we had dinner there twice. There is another great restaurant called Casa Agua that we enjoyed as well.

7  Thank Shrimpykk
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Staff- friendliest and happiest of any of the 7 trips I've taken to the Cancun/Riviera Mayan region yet. The only staff member a bit testy was the restaurant reservation gal and that was at 7 a.m. with a line of about 20+ waiting to make their reservations for dining at the 6* restaurants.

Restaurants - 5 course menus with a 6* rating - with reservations only options
Mediterranean - looked good, but we didn't get to try it
Steak House - lots of great choices of meats and we thoroughly enjoyed it
Brazilian - had about 14 types of meats on skewers that you could try and have as much as you wanted of.
French - Excellent experience
Asian - Didn't get to try
Mexican - is a 6* option, but no reservation is needed- first come first serve basis and was a great meal as well.
The buffets in the evenings have a lot of options to choose from. If people complain about the food at this resort, I believe it is a personal issue and not a resort issue. There are tons of options... The last evening there I had fresh salmon (to die for), chicken and steak. All excellent! Every morning you can have custom made waffles/pancakes/custom omelette/etc. There was always bacon/sausage/etc. for breakfast as well. About 10+ types of fresh cut fruit available at all buffet meals, 5-6 yogurts during breakfast with all of the toppings you could imagine offered. Tons of cereal choices. Lots of freshly made juices each morning. Overall I think it had excellent offerings of food choices. Salad bar offerings were outstanding, chips/salsa/guacamole at all buffets. Yum!!!!
The beach is very nice. Lots of chairs, sun or shade with papaya tables for drinks and shade. Hammocks to read books in, sand volleyball areas, a large flat deck for yoga/step classes/stretching etc. over looking the ocean area. It was windy when we were there, but one day the wind wasn't enough to go para-sailing, so the kids went the next day when it was windier.
The rooms we stayed in were the 2340, 2339, 2337 & 2331 rooms and any problems that were had were fixed. One evening too many girlie appliances going at once blew a circuit... Someone's refrigerator didn't work and was readily replaced.
Housekeeping depends of course on whom you have. If you leave a few $1's, you will be treated much better than if you wait until the last day or don't tip at all. It's your choice on what you'd like. They work extremely hard for their wages, and as an American that has been blessed, I give whether its an all inclusive or not. Just gets you better service and an overall more enjoyable trip when everyone is happy. We used our safe at all times and I locked my smaller suitcase with my good camera in it. We had NO problems with theft... However, I did hear that 1 of the families in the other 10 families had $ stolen from their safe, so not sure what ever came of that situation. One thing you must remember is if you want new towels, you MUST THROW THE TOWELS ON THE FLOOR, or they assume you want to continue using them.
My only complaint of the entire 8 days we were there is relative to housekeeping. That being that the rooms were made up in our area very late in the afternoons which was when we were coming back in from the beach to get ready for the evenings. Our door tag was worn out, so that we didn't have anything we could hang on it to get it made up/etc., and hindsight would of had me call housekeeping if I were to come back and request the room to be made up from 10:30 - 3:00 each day. Just an fyi for you... We therefore didn't get room cleaning a couple of days because of our schedules and being back in the rooms, etc.
We traveled as Mother/Daughters for a Senior trip and there were 9 of us in our group. We had a great time! Some of the group did the water aerobics & zumba dancing/etc., and had a great time as well.
One other thing that to me is a bigger deal than the housekeeping issues that I had forgotten about is the whole wireless internet issue at this resort. It is one thing that potentially would cause me to go elsewhere in the future. Since I was traveling over my birthday, traveling with women only in Mexico, and without my spouse, and also had a sil that was failing in health leading up to our departure, it was important for me to be able to stay in touch with the my spouse and family. The resort offers each device owner a 1 hour time allowance to use, and face book and social media sites aren't to be used. :( However, we were able to use them. You have to be in 1 of the 2 lobbies or in the central plaza in order to use internet. There IS NOT wireless in your room at this resort, which seems so backwards in this day and age, as so many business people need such access, even if they are on vacation.
My daughter and I had no complaints at all about hard mattresses, or issues with the beds. We both slept peacefully, and had no problems at all.
Overall, I really have enjoyed this resort both times, and would love it if they would add the wireless to their resort.

Room Tip: Our room was in Building 2000 # 2340 and we had a partial ocean view from our balcony and room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gretchen1961
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is our fourth time staying at Sandos Playacar. This time, we went with our children and spouses/significant others, ages 23-29. We had three oceanfront rooms. Yes, these rooms are a little worn compared to the rooms in the Riveria section. However, as my husband said, "I can get a topnotch hotel room at home. But, the oceanview is what I came for." My younger family members were very pleased with the oceanfront rooms too. We were close to the pools which were used the majority of the stay. Unfortuately, the winds were too strong to be in the ocean on two days. Beach service was slower this time than in the past. The resort was at full capacity, but we really didn't notice it other than the beach service. The employees were extremely courteous and helpful. We have never had anything but wonderful staff members. It could be that we leave one or two dollars in the rooms daily. Tip the bartenders and the servers and you will get outstanding service. We figured out that between the three rooms, we probably averaged $50 in tips per room for the entire week. This included the tips at the specialty restaurants on five of the seven nights there. The staff members work extremely hard and that's a small price to pay for the service we received. Everyone in our group thought the French and the Mediterrean restaurants were the best this time. Other guests said they really enjoyed the Brazilian and it had improved since the last time they were there. It appears they have speeded up the wait time between each portion. The Asian was not as good as previously. The steak house was average. No one particularly cared for the Mexican restaurant. However, we were never went hungry. The assortment of fresh fruit was fantastic. The food in the buffet was good and offered a good variety. Our group could always find something to enjoy. The beds are extremely hard since the foundation is a concrete slab. We have found this to be true of most resorts in Mexico. We asked the desk to put a pad on the beds. It made a huge difference, even though it was only a 1/4 inch thick. We used the shuttle service the hotel recommended for the transfer to and from the airport. The service was right on time and professional both ways. The price was extremely reasonable for the six people in our party. One couple used the excursion desk to book a trip to Excaret. The price that was offered was cheaper than anything offered online. Transportation was included and they thoroughly enjoyed the day and thought it was a great value for the money.I can't wait to make our reservation for next year's trip. The rest of the family wants to go with us again too.

8  Thank mrschiefopd
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Just returned from this fantastic hotel. It was amazing in every way we had expected it to be. Our 2 kids (Tyler&Logan) wanted to go to the kids club everyday! They were very nice and unlike other kids clubs, the girls seemed to want to spend time with the children. The girls would even take the kids to lunch&dinner!! The kids club also has 2 pools and a small water slide. We went into town and left the boy's with these girls knowing they would take excellent care of them. Catalina, Tania and the other girls gave us piece of mind on our trip!! The rest of the resort was just as good as the kids club was, top notch in every way!!!

4  Thank DueSouthWhitby