“Sandos Playacar Resort is the Perfect Sun Getaway!”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #59 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 4 March 2012

this was our 3rd time in playa del carmen and loved every minute of it! friendly staff, great food and relaxing pools! We booked though dream2travel and plan to use them again for their resort tour promotional offers. The best thing to do is the preview of the property on your first day so you can enjoy your time and relax during your trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank jeff o
Write a ReviewReviews (13,468)

Reviewed 3 March 2012

This is my 1st time to the Sandos PlayaCar Resort, however I have stayed several times at their sister resort The Sandos Caracol, which is about 15km north of this property on the other side of Playa Del Carmen. Many things I will referance in comaprison between the two in the hopes that I could help someone determine which of the two is better for them. I personally Prefer the Caracol, but the Playacar may be better suited for you. The Playacar (PC) is a generic name for the entire property and was split into three areas in a long 2 km narrow property. The actual Playacar (Playa=Beach in Spanish) is the part closest to the beach and is large apartment style buildings. In the middle is the Haciendas, smaller 4 plex style bungalows with private pools. The furthest from the beach was the Riviera part which was again split into two areas a family area and the adult only area.

The resort itself is nicely located 2km south of Playa Del Carmen. It makes for a good base to day trip to places like Tulum, Coba, Xcaret, Explor park, and Akumal. The Collectivo (Short trip bus) that runs on the Highway to transport workers to the resort can get you to the turtle nesting grounds at Akumal or to the ruins at Tulum or the ecological parks near by for only a couple of dollars, so you dont have to get gouged for $100 per person for a tour to them.

I travelled to the Playacar during mid Feb. with extended family with kids. Let me start by saying this place was very kid friendly. There were many families with children. The resort catered primarily to Canadians and Europeans and a few Mexicans. Very few Americans on resort. There was a wonderful activities center in the middle of the complex that turned into a meeting place for all the kids. There were a few table soccer, ping pong, pool tables and basket ball hoop a low height that attracted lots of kids. There were also a few wii games and things for them to do all free of charge. In the open air plaza outside the games area they started an evening movie just at dusk that usually was suitable for all ages. One night of the week they had a mexican night with traditional mexican games the kids could try.

I found the grounds stunning and immaculate and if you were to give the resort a rating based purely on visual asthetics it would be a 5 Star with food being close to that too. The sister resort the Caracol is a 4-4.5 Star and seemed to be a little older but I understand it has been renovated since I was last there in Dec 2010. I found the pools at the Playacar to be warmer than the caracol, but the caracol has a wonderful small kids area waterpark that the PC could well learn from. There are NO Swim up bars at the pools in the PC except for the adults only area at the far end of the Riviera building. The other Riviera area pool is long and skinny, but has a restaurant at it with a small buffet and ice cream machine. It is a calm, quiet area without the rowdy energy or loud party music of the main pool by the beach.

My main complaint about the PC is that if you do not get a room on the Beach Side of the Playacar ( and wind up in the riviera or hacienda buildings) you will be walking forever many times a day to get to the better buffets and activity areas. The Caracol has a much better centrally located meeting place and resteraunts, so you dont spend lots of time and energy hiking around the property to get to the hot spots. If you can get rooms in the large buildings by the beach at the PC I think the average person would be much happier.

I had mixed feeling on the resteraunts in comparison to the Caracol. We never had bad food from an all inclusive perspecitve. Everything was decent and fresh. The PC had only two buffets a main one and an italian one with limited daytime hours that was more of an evening place. There were a la cartes. One was adult only a french one that looked outstanding but I had kids so was unable to partake. There was a Brizillian rodizio that was decent, but was inside and super hot due to the ovens. Actually the heat was unbareable if you got a table by the kitchen. The Brazillian at the Caracol is 10x better and is al fresco (outside) which makes for a better dining experience. We never ate at the asian all inclusive. We ate at the Steak house and it was 10x better than the one at the Caracol. The cuts of meat were bigger, better grade and prepared better. There was also a nice made to order crepe bar at the main lobby at the Riviera. Too bad it didnt open earlier for brunch. It was only open from 1pm till 7 pm. I never had bad food anywhere on this resort. The all a la cartes could only be booked on Thurs and Monday which made getting into the Steak House and Rodizio almost impossible. There was also a medetereanean a la carte that was decent, but small portions.

I really had a good time at the Riviera/Playacar and so did my 12 year old and parents. I would go back to this place in a second. If I had my choice I would prefer to go to the Caracol because of the better lay out of the resort even though it wasnt as luxurious of a resort. Both are not party central and if youre looking for that go to Cancun with the college students.

A final word of warning, which has little to do with the resort. The only rental car place on the resort was BUSTER car rental. Do NOT under any circumstances use this company. Their cars are old, in poor repair and their customer service is very poor and their 24 Hour emergency line in ONLY IN SPANISH. Our car had 135000km on it. Was dirty inside and had no spare or jack. Our brake on the front wheel seized up just as we were turning into the resort 1/2 way thru the day. The customer service rep left for the day at 430pm. The toll free guy only spoke spanish and refused to get us a replacement car thru our interpreter and made us come back the following day to the CS rep at the resort. You have been warned about BUSTER...or BUSTED as I like to call it.

If you are thinking about either Sandos resort, you cant go wrong. I hear they are also opening a Cancun one as well, but I'm not a fan of the rowdy hotel zone.

Room Tip: Get one by the beach to avoid lots of hiking to resteraunts
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
17  Thank Saskheat
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My family and I attended the Sandos Playacar January 11-18, 2012. The trip was great in my opinion. I could pick apart little things like dates walkways or complaints that there was seaweed in the ocean but i'm not interested in doing that.

My wife, 5 year old daughter and 6 month old son attended this resort and had a good time overall. We stayed in the newest section (Riviera) at the back of the resort (fartherst from the beach beside the reception. The rooms were huge, clean and a great temperature. My daughter enjoyed the pull out couch, my son enjoyed the crib and my wife and I enjoyed the King size bed.

The room was about a 8 minute walk from the beach depnding on how slow the rest of my family was. Many animals were around the resort, we especially liked the orange tabby cat. We also saw these other weird animals that we fittingly named Frank Smith the 4th. They kinda resembled a rat, beaver combination.

The food was good in my estimation, with that being said I am not a picky eater while on vacation. As long as there is meat, rice and potatoes i'm happy. Nobody was sick while on our vacation. The sugar covered donuts were amazing, very fresh and tasty, my wife loved them without a doubt. The hamburgers at the beach were very good, as were the fries, just slower service. Drinks were very good overall, well i think they were.

The pool closest to the beach was always busy, lots of action from the animation team. water was cold but who cares, it was refreshing.

The Ocean was beautiful, crystal clear water, sometimes big waves, sometimes no waves. The beach stretches probably 150 feet from water to the edge of the resort, many chairs and palapas were always available. Yes I did go down early in the morning and get a good seat, but I did also stay there for an hour and wait for my family to come down and have breakfast together. The animation team on the beach did a good job trying to get people involved. I played beach volleyball many times and had a great time. Ocean was warm and very refreshing.

I was very nervous about the weather before going as we went the same time last year to the Grand Sunset Princess and it rained almost the entire trip. It rained almost the entire saturday, but this was the only day it rained during the day. the rest of the days were beautiful, sunny and warm days.

Playa Del Carmen was its usual fun day. We ate the same little restaurant for the 4th time and bought several souvenirs. The resort was about a 45 minute walk to PDC, however we took a cab due to the children being with us.

Good vacation, but will try another location next year asI always do!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors less musty!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank gtown15
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed Feb 23- March 1. Fantastic resort! Entertainment crew are unreal! Ricardo, Renalto, Fabio, Felicity, Hannah, Diane.....wonderful first class people!
Bartenders awesome! Visit Houdiny.....excellent excellent drinks and awesome person!!! We will be going back again for sure! Be sure to leave tips...a little goes a long way and these people work their butts off and deserve it!

Clint, Colleen, Beth, Paula and Hannah
British Columbia, Canada
¡Viva Mexico!

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank FeetInDaWater
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This is my 6th time travelling down south and 2nd time in Mexico. My first experience was at the Bluebay and though I have many pleasant memories from that resort, The Sandos is almost incomparable.

The Staff: They work so hard, always lend a smile and an "Hola" as you pass by even though they have probably been working for 10 hours ensuring our comfort. BRING TIPS! They really deserve it. So friendly.

The Resort: Gorgeous and always spotless. Depending on where you are booking, the resort can seem quite large. We stayed in the adults only section which is about a ten minute walk and the furthest from the beach. TO ALL THE LADIES: I am an avid lover of shoes and always bring a selection of heels and I made the mistake of wanting to make the walk from my room to the meeting point. Take the trolley. The path is quite uneven and long.
All in all the resort has a great ambiance. I really respected the ecofriendly upgrades.

The Food: This is the one area I felt the resort was lacking a little. The buffets are nothing spectacular and have the same food most of the time. The Italian was ok, Mexican was the best food on the resort, French was good, and I dont know if it was just what I ordered but found the Asian left me with something to desire....elsewhere. The Bluebay had MUCH better food.

The Rooms: The adults only section has a nice sized room with 2 person jacuzzi tub and ours came with a king sized bed which I can't complain about. The door to the toilet does not close or lock BUT you can close the main door to bathroom and the blinds beside the jacuzzi to give you privacy if needed. Minibar is refreshed daily and the fact that room service is free is a great plus. My only minor complaint was our shower water kept fluctuating with a range of heat which can be really bothersome if you get burnt like I did and our drain was clogged so we had to keep our shower length to a minimum.

The Beach: BEAUTIFUL. Last resort on the strip and a nice width. You can see Cozumel in the distance. Water is clear, sand is powdery and white. There were some windy days which provided some great waves to frolic in.

The Entertainment: This is where the Sandos blows other resorts out of the water. If you are a pool person, there is always a fun activity going on which is pretty standard but the nightly shows are what make the difference. First of all you have 2 options every night: The Theatre and The Plaza. I never made it to the Theatre because from the descriptions on the board it seemed conventional to other resorts. The Plaza was where we chose to go every night. Most nights there was a LIVE band (Latin, Rock or Mariachi), once a DJ (Disco/Dance), and once Mayan tribal dancers and a fun crowd interactive couples game. Either way, having 2 options on where you would like to go every night is pretty awesome. PLUS after 11pm if you still want to party there is a disco.

Safety: If you are a little skeptical about Mexico from what you have heard in the news these days, please don't let that deter you. If you have never stayed in Playacar before you don't know that it is a large gated community. In order for anyone to get in you have to hand over your driver's license and state your reason of entry. You do not get your license back until you leave. On top of that in order to get into Sandos specifically, driver's have to go through yet another gate. Security is not taken lightly.

Overall this is the first time i have ever uttered "I will go back" and that says a lot coming from me.
If you are going to do some excursions, we have done the Tulum,Cenote,Zipline,Bike package from Alltournative, really great. The Coba,Cenote,Mayan Village package is fun but be prepared for some walking and climb Coba while you still can! its disallowing assents very soon. Finally we have done the Isla Mujeres booze cruise twice, once where we snorkelled and swam with dolphins and this time we skipped the snorkel and dolphins and zipped around the island on a golf cart rental ($15USD/hr and an hour is all you need). If you can, request to be on the Tomkat where Mario is you emcee. You will not regret it.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms in the adults only section are quieter and nicer and although a little far, you can always tak...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple