This was the second time we had booked through Kuoni & this was the second time they had failed to book our private transfers despite my instigating before departure that this time the car really was confirmed. I will not be using Kuoni again.
Upon arrival we were upgraded to a Spa Pool Villa and complimentary 60 min massage. I was laughed at when I asked they staff why...but then we found out exactly why...
For 4 days of our 8 day holiday, a wedding celebration of 300 guests from New York heavily dominated ALL public areas to the point where we felt we had been put 'on the back burner' And had to just accept that the party would be taking priority.
We were advised by staff to eat an evening meal in Tamarind so booked this upon their recommendation. Regrettably, the wedding party decided to overflow into this beautiful, tranquil restaurant with their drinking. As such, my small group of 4 failed to have any kind of conversation due to noise levels. The entire meal was a catalogue of errors. Bread came, then 20 minutes later, the oils and vinegars to be eaten with it arrived. I was asked what I wanted to drink and then my other 3 companions were given the same without being asked about their requests. Drinking glasses holding sparkling water which needed topping up then had still water added to them.....we waited over an hour and a half for food which was then sent back.
Breakfast was NOT in the Oriente whilst the 4 day party was taking place. Non-wedding guests were re-located to allow the wedding party priority. The staff did their best but it did get to the point where I didn't even bother asking for any more coffee or juice because I knew it wouldn't arrive.
One guest from the wedding party did come into 'our' breakfast area with his phone on loudspeaker and shouting across the restaurant to yet another voice. Erick & his team did politely remind him that there were other guests trying to enjoy what the BT promotes (tranquility) and asked him to move on. This was hugely appreciated by us as it meant we could now have at least one meal without being violated.
BT states it's an 'ecosystem of carefully maintained mangroves and freshwater lagoons - home to a myriad of indigenous species of fish and birds...living freely in their natural environment'......the wedding party were warned by staff that they could not whizz jet skis through the mangrove river yet the party ignored this order and as such yet another area of peace was ruined for those who had paid a premium for the BT experience.
BT states of its golf course that 'it's one of the most famous in Mexico and weaves through 3 distinct ecosystems'.....well yes but you can't use it when multiple wedding marquees are erected on the course.
Fireworks went off unexpectedly behind the villa of a family with a very young child and as a result the parents then had to deal with the consequences. A note from staff explaining what would be happening would have been appreciated as a gesture.
The atmosphere and attitude of staff completely changed once the large party had left. It was noticeable and remarkable how we then were made to feel welcome and wanted.
I have been put off visiting another BT as this visit totally contradicted their entire ethos of zen-like calm and tranquility.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba is a site of almost mythical beauty. It flawlessly blends elegance and nature, taking the Caribbean lifestyle to an unprecedented new height. A breathtaking getaway for relaxation, rejuvenation, romance and world-class dining, it is also the region's most sustainable five-star resort. With its revitalized culinary concepts, Thai-inspired therapies at the Banyan Tree Spa, 14 event-venues and the Greg Norman signature 18- hole El Camaleon golf course, home to the PGA Tour Mayakoba Classic, the resort raises the bar for premium leisure options and event planning. Perfect for private getaways, family trips and group events, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba offers 118 villas, ranging from romantic Bliss and Serenity Pool Villas to Family Residences and Ocean Front Villas. All include outdoor areas with private pools and terraces. Inspired by the interior courtyards of houses in the Far East, each villa is discreetly built to blend with the landscape, integrating the interiors and their idyllic surroundings. East meets West in every subtle detail, from the fragrance of flowers encircling your villa, to the softness of a kimono, fine linens and essential oils on your skin. Here, even world-weary guests discover the eloquence of tranquility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Ebookers, Agoda, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Riviera Maya, Mexico - Playa Del Carmen