7,554 results
All reviews segway tour chef oscar nature park the grill sense adventure sports bar three rivers chef's table kids club the mexican restaurant lobster dinner family pool time share beach beds adult pool pool side casino night
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed at the Hacienda Tres Rios for the first time last November. I must say, the hotel room was amazing -- we had the family suite through my parents-in-law timeshare which consisted of a huge living/dinning room off which are a master bedroom suite (king bed, sitting room area, Jacuzzi bath) and a second bedroom (two queen beds, sitting room area). In addition, the room had three full bathrooms. Everything looked very new, tv's were all flat panel, etc.

Now for the food. For an all inclusive resort, I would say the food is what one might expect. Not great, but not bad either.

So far so good. Now the things we didn't like about the resort.

The pool. Looked very nice and there was always plenty of seating. However, it was really cool, primarily because the nearby fresh water from the close by underground rivers are used to maintain the water in the pool. Such a shame, because my daughter and wife simply decided not to use the pool itself.

The beach. Not much to say here, except the ocean water is full of dark stuff (seaweed??) and so you really don't want to go in the water. This presented more of an issue for me, because we found the swimming pool too cool to enjoy. Also, the beach itself, while it looked like white sand, was rock hard underfoot so not nice for the kids to play on.

NOW THE WORST -- the timeshare scammers. As soon as you check in there's pressure from the concierge, the check-in people, basically everyone to go to a timeshare presentation. They couch it in terms of an orientation presentation, although it's pretty clear what they are trying to do -- sell timeshares. In fact, we weren't permitted to check-in until we sat through 30 mins of one of the concierges trying to convince us to attend one of the presentations. Later that same day, my parents-in-laws checked in and agreed to go to the presentation even though they already own a time share with the group operating the hotel. They were told that they would receive "IMPORTANT" information about their current time share. During the presentation they were pressured into agreeing to upgrade their timeshare into a "fractional ownership" by which they were told they would have part ownership in the property. That was a complete lie. When I reviewed the contract, they had been duped into signing a contract for a timeshare exactly the same as they already had except the annual fees were considerably higher. They also duped into giving up their previous timeshare as part of the "deal." The only reason they agreed to this was because they were told they would be part owners of the property and so it would be a good investment which they "guaranteed" would quadruple in value within two years. Clearly, the contract bore no resemblance to what they had been told they were purchasing. Luckily under Mexican law, all time share contracts must have a clause by which you can change your mind within 5 days (i.e., to revocate the contract). We immediately did that for my parents-in-law, following the instructions within the contract exactly. Within 15 days of that, the timeshare company (Sunset Group) was required to return the deposit. Guess what -- that didn't happen. Luckily, the deposit was made by credit card, so they were able to dispute it. However, since November, the Sunset Group has been pestering them for the money threatening the use of a collections agency.

My Advice -- PLEASE PLEASE do not let yourself be scammed into purchasing a timeshare at any of the Sunset Group Hotels (including the Hacienda Tres Rios). If you are inclined to buy a timeshare at one of their resorts, do yourself a favor and look online for others trying to sell theirs -- they cost considerably less than buying direct from the hotels. Also, don't believe them if they try to tell you that what you're buying is an investment or some sort of fractional ownership in the property -- it simply is not. Oh by they way, I confronted the management and asked them put in writing that they would buy back the timeshare for the "guaranteed" amount they said it would be worth in the future. Surprise, surprise they would not.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
33  Thank CG-Tourist
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I wanted to share with you, our experience with the Hacienda Tres Rio... which was awesome. I guess if you look for things to critiize, you'll find what your looking for, however both my husband and I agree that our experience there was great. The resort, the service, all the anemities, the beaches and the weather were awesome. As a first timer going into Mexico, we were a little apprehensive, however, this feeling was totally overcome by the 6 days spent at this resort. Given the opportunity, we would certainly have a return visit. Oh did I mention that we could not have asked for a better week weather wise....that certainly helped. I gueaa if we had to note one negative, it would be the presentation we attended (not overly impressed with that part). But we certainly would not let that alone cloud our judgement on the overall experience. We are both very glad we went.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a Jacuzzi and then provided us with one.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Towerns
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Our family 2 adults and 2 kids stayed here mid January 2012 and had a wonderful time. Contrary to reviews we read before we left the beach was actually ok. We loved the natural activities at the resort, snorkeling down the cenotes, kayaking, catamaran, biking tours and just walking to the cenotes on the properties kept us busy though it was also great to relax on the beach or at the pool. Jose was excellent. They went over and above delivering drinks and food to us on the beach. It was good that the food at the buffet changed daily, the a la cart restaurants were also excellent, we loved Portobello. All in all a smaller quiet resort which we really appreciated as we headed to Princess to meet another family for the last 4 days of our trip and found it to be super busy. We felt that it was a good balance.

Room Tip: Even though when you do the timeshare presentation they say there are 2 bedroom suites, they are NOT available when you stay at the "hotel" with the all-inclusive package.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank lovedafood
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand 6 months ago, and the service at the Tres Rios was far superior. We are still here and are sad to leace on Wednesday. The staff here goes above and beyond to make sure your experience is perfect. I love that there are kayaks, cenotes right on property. Typically, you would have to spend $100's of dollars for an entrance fee to another park in order to have the same experiences that you can have right here at the Rios. Room service is fast. Make sure if you need your mini bar stocked to call room service. They are happy to do this. I love that the property has its own water filtration systems. The tap water here tastes better than the bottled water that is served all over Mexico. There is no funny "aftertaste" in their food. The food, well, its "All Inclusive". I learned early on that if you choose to stay at an all inclusive, cut them some slack. It's no chop house, but over all, very enjoyable. What I love most about the food is that you can essentially ask them to prepare anything special, and they will do it. If you are on a diet, this is your plave. They serve steamed chicken and veggies EVERY day. When I say steamed, I mean steamed, no oil, no seasoning. When we 1st arrived, we stayed on the bottom floor in a jacuzzi suite, very lovely room, however there was an ant problem. We paid to upgrade, it would have been nice to be upgraded without a charge, since there were ants. I do, however, understand this property is on a lush/tropical resort. Nature will be nature. There are DVD's in every room, and I recommend bringing your own DVD's as the ones to rent on property are very out-dated. The beach is not the best, but everything in this hotel is super clean. If you love adventure, this is your place. So much to do! Awesome service. We upgraded to room 1302, which is amazing.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank SarahAllman
Reviewed 29 January 2012

H3R is built on the site of a former nature park which was partially damaged by Hurricane Wilma several years ago, so it can offer an array of on-site activities such as kayaking, cenote snorkelling, cycling and nature walks free of charge, in addition to the usual beach resort activities. They have a nursery which is being used in part to reforest the parts of the mangrove which suffered damage, and the environment of the property as a whole is very healthy, as is evidenced by the vast numbers of fish living in the small rivers. They take being "green" to a whole new level; for example, the heat generated by the air conditioning units is used to heat the water in your shower, and they have their own desalinization system to minimize the amount of water taken from the natural environment. That said, you'll never think about ecology once you sit down at the dinner table - wow! The food at H3R is as gourmet as you'll find anywhere, and unlike some all-inclusives you could stay here for weeks and not eat the same dish twice. I highly recommend finishing dinner with a Mayan coffee - it's great for settling the stomach after over-indulging! (Gabriel at the Italian restaurant makes it the best!) As for the beverages, I can vouch for their mojitos being the best I've ever had, and sipping cappucinos by the river in the morning or martinis on the terrace in the evening feels incredibly decadent. The staff were all friendly and gave excellent service, with each one taking pride in doing their job well. The luxurious decor of this hotel seems to blend seemlessly and tastefully with the natural environment around it, using soft earth tones, mahogany wood, and an abundance of marble. If there is a drawback, it's just that at times a dark "sludge" washes up on parts (not all) of the beach, making thoses areas unappealing for bathing. (It's just organic material which washes out from the rivers into the sea, nothing harmful.) I'm so glad we had a chance to stay at this resort, and would highly recommend it to anyone, from families with children to couples looking for a romantic getaway. (Btw, nearly everything on the grounds is fully accessible for those with limited mobility, too.)

Room Tip: mangrove view rooms are generally quieter than ocean view rooms
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple