7,143 results
All reviewssegway tournature parkthe grillsense adventurethree riverssports barthe mexican restaurantchef's tablelobster dinnerfamily pooltime sharebeach bedsadult poolkids clubcasino nightsales presentationbeautiful resort
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We just returned from Hacienda Tres Rios. This is NOT a 5-Star resort, 3-Star at best.

The food is what you would find at a 3-Star resort. At breakfast I would ask for decaf coffee and the waiter would put on a large jar of decaf Nescafe instant coffee on the table and would fill my cup with hot water. Even Mc Donalds has fresh brewed coffee. I found the hot food at the breakfast buffett to be cold by the time I got to the table. You just cannot put warm food on cold plates. The other restaurants were so-so, food quality was low. I have to say the best food was served at the outside pizza cafe.

Most of the staff was very pleasant and tried hard to make our trip pleasurable, except for the check-in staff which could use some lessons in "how to be nice".

The room was called a Jr. Suite, it was super clean, bathrooms were nice & big, the A/C was cold (just as I like), but it was nothing more than an oversized hotel style room. We had a great balcony with a view of the pool and beach in the distant. The problem with the balcony was there were no chairs on the balcony. Every other room had chairs on the balcony except ours and the room next door. When I asked the front desk and concierge about getting chairs, we were given some lame excuses and no one seemed to care.

The pools were outstanding, great design of the pool layout, except we were constantly harassed by raccons, feral cats and Coatis looking for food. Coatis are wild animals in the raccon family with rather large sharp teeth and large claws. It is very intimidating to be by the pool or outside dining area with the wild rodent-type animals all around you looking for food. At times I counted in excess of 8 of these wild animals. This is NOT what I would expect to find at a 5-Star resort. We had to ask the staff to try and move the wild animals away from us, but the staff seemed not to care about these animals. I guess there are no health department regulations in Mexico concerning wild rodent-type animals in dining areas.

Some of the activites within the resort was interesting, but didn't impress me to be anything that was extrodinary. Again so-so.

While it was not my worst experience, I would not go back to this 3-Star resort with 5-Star pricing.

2  Thank Gcloss
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Not typically one to write a review but I hope this spares some other poor soul from the Hacienda Tres Rios. We have been to several properties (Cancun, Cozumel, Riviera Maya, Playa Del Carmen and Puerto Vallarta) and the food and service in Mexico is fantastic and I've never had a complaint. Hacienda was awful. We were suppose to have transportation from the airport and was left there for 3 hours and then ended up taking a taxi anyway. The front desk was not concerned whatsoever with the delay, they're main interest was selling time shares even though they claim they don't do that. They would not give us our room keys until we sat down and listened to the thirty minute presentation about the hotel (after already being delayed several hours). We were were suppose to have a two bedroom suite with a dining room and they put us in two separate rooms, like we wouldn't notice and when we told them this wasn't right, they said there was nothing they could do, the hotel was booked for the week. Again, no concern or "I'm sorry, let's make this right for you". They gave us a blank piece of paper and said to write it down?!? Later in the week we talked to some residence and found out that everyone is given different bracelets based on whether you have a time share or not, if you are looking to buy a time share or if you've just purchashed a time share (or residence as they call it) and you are treated accordingly. We had another couple join us later in the week that booked their vacation through an on-line vacation site so were assigned a different color bracelet, the servers at the restaurant actually commented that our two groups shoudn't be sitting together based on our bracelets. Unreal. I can say that for the most part, the servers in the resturants were very pleasant, the servers at the pool were a crap shoot, one day you would get a great one, the next you wouldn't see her for hours and it doesn't matter how much you tip. We were actually told at one point a manager instructed one of your servers to leave and go fold napkins instead of wait on customers at the pool. The whole area was lining up in the grill resturant for drinks. The staff never really knew what was going on, you could ask a question to three different people and get three different answers. The staff at the front desk were rude, the managers walked around all day but were rude and the service in the rest of the resort is sporatic. This was a bad experience and unfortunately, two in our group will probably never go back to the Cancun/Playa/Riviera area because of this experience. You can find a much better place for the same money or even less.. try Palace Resorts or Dreams Resorts instead.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel...
11  Thank Vicki P
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The food was great and the rooms were nice. The cenotes were the highlight of the stay. Lots to do here with a very friendly staff. this would be a great choice for a honeymoon. The 1 and 2 bedroom suites were really nice. It is nice to see a resort operate on a green minded concept. The nature preserve here is definitely worth checking out. A perfect place for relaxing.

Room Tip: pretty sure all rooms had the potential for ocean view so request the highest floor to clear the trees
1  Thank Darbley07
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Where can I start with how bad this hotel was. We were supposed to stay there for 5 nights but packed our bags and got the heck out of there after 2 nights. Here is a list of complaints we have.
1- From the beginning the reception staff was not very friendly nor did they smile at their guests.
2- Rooms were given late to us. We arrived tired from our flight around 1pm at the hotel and they said the rooms would be available by 3pm. We did not get our room until 3:45 after we yelling at the reception staff to give us a room
3- We were promised an ocean view but this hotel is not on the ocean. The ocean is a five minute walk away from the hotel itself. We enjoy looking at the ocean from our rooms but all we could see was a bunch of trees.
4- We were told that there would be snorkeling provided for at this hotel but they have not finished that section of the hotel grounds and even told us that they have quit make a snorkeling section because of the expenses.
5- The food was below par. We have stayed at other all-inclusive hotels in cancun and the buffets at these other hotels were amazing. When we got to this hotel we were shocked to see the limited variety of food at this buffet even though they claim that it is a five star hotel.
6- The raccoons and coatimundi were everywhere. The most shocking thing we witnessed at this hotel was at night while we walked around the empty hotel grounds, we witnessed around 10 of these animals eating leftover bits on the countertops where chefs and bartendars prepare food and drinks. These animals may have diseases like rabies and this is a great health violation. When we asked the receptionist about this, she said 'What do you expect? We are in the middle of a jungle'. I did not know that I can stay at a five star hotel in the middle of the jungle.
7- We decided to take part in the bicycle tour around the hotel grounds. The 'mountain' bikes that they provided us with were in the worst condition possible. The bikes looked like they were from the year 1900. They were dirty, rusty, not taken care of, very uncomfortable to sit on, and extremely unsafe to ride. One of our friends fell off the bike twice because of how horrible the bikes were. She got a huge bruise on her thigh which pained her for the rest of our vacation.
8- The hairdryers are worst hairdryers I have ever seen in my life. They are very weird shaped, turn on in a very weird fashion, and do not dry hair properly.
9- This hotel felt like a prison. The security guards at the entrance make you feel like you are entering a jail when they inspect the vehicle and none of them speak English.
10- This hotel is for really old people. The hotel does not feel alive. There is no one to be seen at many times in the day and was not a fun atmosphere for kids.
11- The hotel is far from the city where all the shops are located. Each way to and from the hotel costs $20.
12- When checking out, they made a big deal because my bracelet got ripped off while canoeing. Apparently we have to return the bracelet to them at check out and were going to charge us $20 since I didn't have it but I got into an argument with the receptionist and they waived the bogus fee.
We really could not take it at this hotel more than two nights. We called the booking company, complained about the hotel and they switched us to an amazing hotel in Cancun named Riu Palace. With the money you pay at this hotel, you can have a much better stay at a different hotel. The manager really seems like he has no idea what's going on in the hotel and it is a very badly managed hotel. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank zk999
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We arrived at hotel the day hurricane RIna was due to hit, being as this was the first tine I have been in this experience I was a little worried, but the staff were so friendly I felt so calm.

We stayed in a junior suite which was huge and always kept clean,

Buffet was ok, good choice.. ala carte restaurants were always amazing. Jose is an excellent waiter but all the staff are so happy and can not do enough for you,

Our children went along to the kids club quite a bit as they had so much fun with silvia and estrelle, they possibly had the best Halloween this year.

Pool area is amazing, the beach wasn't as nice as cancun but the storm played some part in this.. Entertainment every evening was fab never bored.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and also return here

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family