“Relaxing Isla”
Review of Isla Mujeres

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Saint Louis, Missouri
20 helpful votes
“Relaxing Isla”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Isla Mujeres is full of lovely people. The island is quaint, safe to explore and very relaxing. We stayed for a week in January 2010 and although the weather was unusually cool and rainy, we enjoyed our time hanging with the locals and transplants in town. If shopping check out the store, Tribal, outstanding jewelry by a talented craftsman/artist. Best guacamole I've ever tasted- at any of the restaurants. Argentian steak house delicious. Luckily all the shopping and food is in a central location. If you are adventurous check out the House of Floating Bottles located on Sac Bajo past the sea turtle reserve. We stayed at Punta al Mar condos. Also located on Sac Bajo part of the island. Quiet, a bit secluded. Definitely rent a golf cart for a few days-to get into town. Cabs are available, but can get pricey if you take many trips into town. Great balconies, views, private beach and decent pool at Punta al Mar. The specific condo owner was beyond gracious, as were the 24/7 staff on duty at the condos. Found Punta al Mar on FRBO web site. The condos are also reviewed on TripAdvisor. The ocean is very shallow and sea-weedy at the condos, however you can still get in the ocean there.
Isla Mujeres is a wonderful place for relaxing. Will certainly return.

1 Thank Gardenmint
Columbus, OH
9 helpful votes
“Isla Mujeres - Nhaa Saastal”
Reviewed 4 May 2010

My husband and I have been married for 4.5 yrs and we've been to Cancun 3 times. For my birthday this year I wanted to return to Cancun, but wanted a more relaxed atmosphere. I searched online at HomeAway for a rental in Cancun... however I found a very nice rental on the Isla Mujeres which is just off the coast of Cancun. I was a little nervous about renting a house but the pictures looked nice and I didn't want to stay at a hotel. I must say... this is one of the best vacations I've ever been on.
We arrived at the rental (Nhaa Saastal) and it was just like the pictures that Joyce and Bob have on the website. It is a 2 bdrm / 2 full bath house with fabulous views of the Caribbean. Lying in the bed I could see the horizon every morning and the sunrise is awesome. The house is fully furnish and has a fully equipped kitchen but I did not want to cook since it was my birthday.
I also purchased a map from MapChick which was very helpful. We rented a golf cart 2 of the 5 days we were there. The map had some out of the way places and great reviews of the restaurants.
Golf carts and mopeds are the mode of transportations on the Isla and you can get a cab at any point it time they are readily available.
The people are very friendly and all of the eating places on MapChicks map were great. Our favorite was Sunset Grill... we had margarita's and watch the sun go down 3 of the evenings on the Isla. The map says that Mango's is closed on Wednesday, but it is not (must be a typo on MapChicks map). Mango's was out of their "famous" French toast so I didn't get to try it.
We ate at a couple of local places in La Gloria (the neighborhood where Nhaa Saastal is located. All the food was good at every restaurant (El Charco, La Cazuela, Bucaneros, Sunset Grill and Mango's, Bienvendios, etc).
The only draw back is there is no golf course on the Isla and my husband is an avid golfer and usually plays when we take trips. He didn't seem to mind this time... the Isla is so captivating. The best thing is the constant breeze that blows as you sit back and relax.
I recommend Isla Mujeres to anyone who is looking for a layed back vacation.

2 Thank culukn
Jefferson City, MO
3 helpful votes
“almost perfect....”
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We booked a trip relatively shortly before our departure in April of 2010. Through reviews, we picked the Ixchel Hotel on the north end of the island. Despite some negative things we saw, it was absolutely great. Clean room, pleasant staff, easy access to everything we wanted (restaurants, beach, etc.) and a convenient bar for the beach that seemed pretty reasonable. The weather was gorgeous, we did have a small rain shower the first night that caused us to have to stop in one of the local restaurants for a drink (oh, darn....) We enjoyed several restaurants:

Poc Chuc - great local food, limited atmosphere but the food more than made up for it. Drinks are a bit more expensive here but we had good service and great food. Just a note, we thought we would eat breakfast here the last morning before leaving since they opened at 7 but they weren't open when we got there. Not sure if they were on "mexican time" or closed on Monday but you should check if this is an issue

Rolandi's - we ate breakfast here two mornings and had outstanding meals each time. The chilequilles, a traditional meal, and fruit and yogurt - really good.

Brisa's - good meal, inexpensive good drinks, pleasant staff

Cafe Francais - we had breakfast here one morning and it was a bit disappointing. After such a good meal at Rolandi's we thought we would try something different but ended up being less than wowed. The food was "ok" and the cost was more than what we had spent before. I wouldn't do this place again personally.

Sancocho's - Ate here on Sunday night when fewer places were open. Pretty good food, good drinks, good value. Wondered how clean it was?? Tried not to look too hard but did enjoy our meal with no undue side effects.

Coyopa's - this was our favorite hang out place. We did eat here ala carte - good food. Had drinks here 2 of the nights we were there and tried a third but they were closed on Sunday. The staff was great, fed us jello shots and other bonuses but just really fun to be there with. They had some great live music Saturday night that we really enjoyed. Would have done it again but....well I guess everyone gets a day off.

biggest downside of the trip was leaving...and our flight. The airline was late, made us late, immigration in Charlotte was super slow and crowded and in a nutshell, we missed our connecting flight. The airline failed to take any responsibility and cited air traffic so we had to flip for our own hotel room. since we couldn't fly out that night.

1 Thank dcy1309
Charleston, West Virginia
13 helpful votes
“trip report April 16-22”
Reviewed 25 April 2010

What a great week, when we arrived on the 16th i thought we were never going to get to isla, the airport was crazy, we landed at 11:30 and arrived at the island around 3. the lines were awful.Bestday was there waiting as promised and the ferry ride was relaxing. Stayed at the Posada Del Mar, had the mini suite, very nice, good beds and friendly people. the only problem, if you have a bad back or short, like me, it was a real problem getting out of the shower. (very high off the floor) great place to stay and we will stay there next time we go. We loved Romey at the bar. The best Margaritas. We are beach people and really enjoyed the beach, watching the local children playing in the water and sand was such fun. Our first full day we ot up early walked around the town, i love to walk the mornings, it is just so cool to see the place come alive. Breakfast at the market, Poc-Chuc, the French Toast was great and very good coffee. Morning and afternoon was spent sunning on the beach along with several Sol's. Dinner at Sancocho's, the chili relleno was very tasty and guacamole, chic faj were very good also. Enough for today. I'm watching TA for the live reports wishing i was still there.

1 Thank ginger h
Port Clinton
11 helpful votes
“A Day on ISLA”
Reviewed 2 April 2010

We set out for Isla from Playa Tortogua ferry terminal, within the hotel zone. It was a short walk (or short bus ride) from most of the hotels. I would recommend taking the Hotel Zone bus to Playa Tortogua, as we did not have to go downtown and change buses or get a taxi. The round trip ferry rate was $15, and the boat left every hour on the hour. /we were told from our hotel that Puerto Juarez is also $15 round trip as well. Boats left Playa Tortogua every hour on the hour. Boats returned from the island on the half hour. (I received confusing info before we left on rates and ferry schedule). The vendors at the ferry dock on the mainland were very reasonable in price, by the way. Seemed much cheaper on goods then Coral Negro or Market 28. Anyway, the ride took about 1/2 hour and was very pleasant. Upon arriving, we wondered around downtown Isla and enjoyed the small, narrow streets and market atmosphere. We rented mopeds and scooted around the island. They are much faster than golf carts and there is a fun factor to the mopeds. We were able to cook a deal with the moped guy for two mopeds, by the way. I was surprised at how built up the island was,, and expected a little more laid back atmosphere. Went to the ruins, turtle farm, and checked out Playa Norte. We found it a bit difficult to get to Playa Norte but did make it there. Although we enjoyed our day there, we opted to not go back for a second day. Would have enjoyed exploring the town some more and sampling some of the many great looking restaurants, but all in all it was an enjoyable day.

Been to Isla Mujeres? Share your experiences!