1,631 results
All reviews playa norte ixchel ii bedroom suite the penthouse golf cart wrap around balcony full kitchen ocean front standard room chairs and umbrellas beautiful beach beach service hot tub hidalgo street best beach on the island restaurants and shops an umbrella
Reviewed 24 January 2010

This is a very nice hotel - great accomodations, good location - but there is a disco right next door that BLASTS music from 11 pm - 3:15 am every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We arrived on a Friday, exhausted after a long day of traveling, but we did not get any sleep until Monday night. We spent the rest of our vacation trying to catch up on sleep and we left the island just as tired as when we arrived.

The staff at the hotel was complacent. Apparently, there is nothing they can do about the music as the disco has all the necessary permits. They offered us ear plugs, but overall everyone at the hotel didn't seem to care that we weren't getting any sleep. In my opinion, it should be their obligation to tell travelers about this prior to booking. Had I known about the noise level, I would have stayed somewhere else.

If the disco wasn't there, I would happily give this place 4-5 stars, but because our sleep was so greatly affected I can't justify anything more than 2.

The spirit of Isla Mujeres is laid-back and the opposite of Cancun, but this disco really ignores that. Its too bad.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank MeauND
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We stayed in 2707 penthouse Jacuzzi suite for the last 3 days of our 2 week Isla vacation. We wanted to splurge on an ocean view with a jacuzzi in the terrace.. well we got the view, but the jacuzzi was not working. It was half full of water when we arrived. The controls were missing and the water was cold. Maintance was at our door with 5 minutes of our call and played with some wires, told us that only 2 jets work, show us how to turn it on from some breaker button inside, and that it would be warm in a few hours. Well the next day we went use it I dipped my fingers in to feel the water and got quite an jolt of electricity!!... needless to say we gave up on the Jacuzzi, but at $275 per night were disappointed but decided not to fight it, but make the best of the last 3 days of our trip. The room was really nice. But the disco noise was pretty hard to take. We had heard about this before, and different opinions about how bad it was, so decided to take our chances... big mistake. It wasn't so much the music, although it was bad enough, but someone was yelling and screaming into a microphone all night which almost drowned out the music... it was awful!
We didn't let it ruin our vacation, but would never stay at this hotel again unless the noise problem is solved, and only in a much less expensive suite.

3  Thank ShugNorthOntario
Reviewed 16 January 2010

To get to the point. We had a cheaper room, hardly any furniture, two small chairs one was falling apart Could not sit comfortably. Smoke alarm beeped all night and staff would not look at it, just wanted us to change rooms at 11:00 pm. I finally removed battery at 5:00 am to cure it. Pools useless,constantly in shade. Food in so-called restaurant awful, was short changed by waiter. (40.00 us for 4 tacos and one fish dish and two drinks). Appears hotel rents beach chairs to outsiders making shore line very crowded. Dollar charge for using bathroom on beach? Four separate bars but no happy hour. Try getting a cup of coffee at 7:00 am. Maid service spotty. Had no problem w/ disco but if we did would have walked. The town is wonderful, luckily it made our trip. Room upgrade was double the price. I understand you get what you pay for but after 6 trips to Mexico I expected more value for the money.

1  Thank tooty57
Reviewed 10 January 2010

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Ixchel Beach last Monday and stayed through today, Saturday. We loved the hotel and were very pleased with the service, rooms (the shower was wonderful!) the especially the location, which I think is the best stretch of beach on Playa Norte. We stayed in a standard room and weren't picky about the fact that they only had two double beds. Although the room doesn't have a built in balcony, the view on the hallway/balcony right outside our front door was breathtaking and we spent a lot of time out there. A couple small problems were the dodgy wifi, problems with hot water, and the room service wasn't so great but the location more than made up for all those things. All of our nights it was incredibly and wonderfully quiet with only the sound of the ocean, until the last night. I couldn't believe how loud Chimbo's was. It was absolutely awful. I've never heard anything so loud in my life-we got absolutely no sleep. I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

2  Thank avalonguest
Reviewed 5 January 2010

My wife and I stayed at Ixchel for 3 days in May and had such a fantastic time we had to come back for a full week in December! Ixchel is the perfect place to stay in Isla Mujeres. You are right on the beach over looking fantastic water and even more amazing sunsets. Prime restaurants are 2 blocks away and everything else you need is no more than 3 blocks away. We booked the penthouse suite - room 709 - and enjoyed hot tubbing every night. The suites only have 1 bedroom and somewhat small bathrooms but this is only a small drawback to spending the entire day by the beach, and being so close to all the amenities.
Isla Mujeres reminds us of Playa Del Carmen 10 years ago. The Island is very small but has so much to offer. It is simply a must see Island and Ixchel is a must place to stay when you`re there.

Nicki & Troy Dennison