1,627 results
All reviews playa norte ixchel ii bedroom suite the penthouse golf cart wrap around balcony full kitchen ocean front standard room chairs and umbrellas beautiful beach beach service hot tub hidalgo street best beach on the island restaurants and shops an umbrella
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We stayed in this nice hotel/apartment first three weeks of December (2012). We stayed in two different condos because of the availability. We enjoyed the condos very much. Nice beds, full kitchen with equipement, every day housekeeping and very nice staff.
We've been on Isla Mujeres for many times before, but this hotel fitted our needs perfectly. Close to the beach, good beach chairs, umbrellas and so on.
Changing rooms during our stay was a piece of cake. No stress whatsoever.
We undoubtedly will return here in the future.

Room Tip: Staying on the ground floor is ideal with small kids. They can play in front of the terras. The balconies on higher floors feel not always as safe as you would like.
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My family of 4 (including a 22 and a 16 year-old) stayed here for a week at the end of December. The property is really well located, easy walking distance to town, to the mercado and the grocery and to the ferry. The hotel sits on what we think is the nicest beach on the island with generally calm waters. There are two pools - one which sits in the sun most of the day, and the other which is in the shade. My older daughter enjoyed the chaises in the pool, while I really preferred not to look at concrete, and wanted to stare into the Caribbean.

We easily found chairs and umbrellas as the beach. On the down side, the beach was jammed with people, both from our hotel, and from adjacent restaurants and public beaches that offered chairs and umbrellas as well. Given this was Christmas week, I suspect the crowds were unusually big.

Since this was a last minute booking, we ended up in 3 different 2 bedroom units over the course of 8 nights. I really was pleased with all 3, each offering nice views and balconies, clean units and a helpful kitchen. Of the 3, I was most impressed with the first room which was the penthouse suite. In addition to the balcony (with table and chairs) there was a spiral staircase leading to a terrace with hot tub (surrounded by glass walls which allowed for a wind break and amazing view) as well as chaise lounges with thick pillows, a table with benches, a grill and even a 3rd bathroom just for that level. Really nice. Our other top floor unit was also very nice with an extra large balcony.

We did meet several people who had found rooms not on the beach but in town who paid a good bit less and were raving about their rooms. Definitely something to consider, but we really wanted the kitchen and the views and the beachfront location.

Service at the hotel was strong, and we were particularly pleased with the concierge who gave us sound advice and guidance for restaurants. He also helped us to book a sail boat cruise with Induna Charters which we really enjoyed (very nice crew and boat).

Three final trip notes, not hotel related:

First, we did buy fresh squeezed OJ from the mercato, and fruit drinks from the fruit drink corner shop a block to the right of the hotel. Both were excellent, and we had no digestive problems.

Second, you are better off paying in pesos. If you pay in dollars, you will receive a much lower exchange rate. Example, instead of getting 12 pesos to the dollar, you might get 10. Consider changing money in town (on Hidalgo there is a shop that also happens to exchange money - no fees - look for the board in front of the store), or use the HSBC - there are several including one in the grocery.

Finally, my husband and I are vegetarians (lacto-ovo) and we found it easy to find a variety of Mexican and Italian meals throughout the island.

1  Thank scottiza
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I have stayed at Ixchel a total of 3 times now. First off, the location and views of Playa Norte are unmatched on the island. The place itself is run like a hotel although the units are privately owned. I have had both good and average experiences there. Some owners do stay at their properties more and maintain them better. There are also some units that the owners themselves take care of renting privately. They get a 4 of 5 rating from me because of the views, spacious rooms, and great pools to hang at. They could certainly work on customer service a bit.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We've stayed here before and this year made some room requests that were acknowledged by email but not carried through. We ended up in a unit that was sparsely furnished with sometimes worn out upholstery and a kitchen unsuitable for anyone really wanting to cook as it sorely lacked adequate pots, pans and even microwave dishes. Knives provided were basic and really cheap but the lack of more than a cheap saucepan or two was a striking inadequacy. Refrigerator, microwave and air conditioning all operated well. Beach and beach services were great, as expected.

Room Tip: Be certain to make your needs and wishes known and what you will or will not accept.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
ixchelbeachh0tel, Guest Relations Manager at Ixchel Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Thank you very much for your review as it contributes with our continuous improvement.

Committed to deliver the best possible experience to our customers, we apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. We have listed the kitchenette items to promptly replace and to raise the in-room expectations for further Guests. In regards to your reservation let us take this opportunity to add that what we confirm during our booking process is the room type and category, so as room assignment is subject to availability and it is totally variable prior arrival, all personal requests are handling on a stand by status.
We invite you to visit us again in your next trip to Isla Mujeres and witness by yourself how your opinion assisted us to being better!

Kind regards.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

I am getting married in Isla Mujeres and booked a room block with the Ixchel as one of my first orders of business (at least 8 months before the wedding date). I was given a login and password to give to guests for booking and was told that 30 rooms would be held.

After printing invitations with their hotel info on them, and directing all of my guests to book there, I came to find out that they had booked up all of the rooms and there was no longer a single room available in my hotel block. What did they do about this? Tried to blame it on me, but after forwarding along my email confirmations of the room block hold they simply told me there was nothing they could do. I had to scramble to find another hotel and have the invitations re-printed. My guests are now scattered throughout the island in a range of different properties.

I would not encourage anyone to stay at this hotel as they focus on the bottom line only and do not have any sense of customer service. There are much better hotels on the island that are just as nice or nicer and in the same price range.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Jessica W
ixchelbeachh0tel, Public Relations Manager at Ixchel Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Thank you very much for your comments as they bring us a good opportunity to improve on our communicating tasks.

As any committed hotel with its clientele we honor guaranteed reservations only, thus all requests without a proper deposit and regardless the season, are subject to availability. We apologize for any related inconvenience that this situation may have caused to your personal plans and we will encourage our Sales & Reservations department to achieving our policy to be more self explanatory.

We appreciate your time on this and look forward to hosting you when travelling again to Isla Mujeres!

Best regards