“Best Food ”

Mercado Municipal
Ranked #92 of 258 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I got tired of the main tourist street and the gringo food there. We love authenticity and experiencing the local culture/ food when we travel. We had breakfast and lunch at the food stalls just outside the market. We both agreed it was some of the better authentic food on the island and not at exhorbitant prices. Try the fresh made juices- loved the Papaya juice.

Date of visit: September 2017
2  Thank hansup1968

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Stopped in at breakfast time for a fresh, delicious smoothie. I'd heard great things about this place, and was glad I decided to try it. Great option for folks wanting to grab fresh, hot food made right in front of you.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank pamelaL74
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I've eaten at three out of the four restaurants here. The best food I had was my first time to have Poc Chuc at Letty's Locals. The breakfast was good at all the ones I tried. I really like the juices too. The cantaloupe was my favorite. You can eat really cheap here. I think it was like $3.50 US for lunch. If I remember correctly the first booth near the street had the best breakfast. But try them all and enjoy. Be ready to eat lots of beans and rice if you return a few times because they come with almost everything. I chose to eat here because it's more of a local place than the, sometimes, MUCH more expensive food on Hidalgo. I ate here almost everyday both times I've been and will go back next time. Good etiquette to go by is to not be in a rush. Let them come to you, speak some Spanish and learn the money for fun and better prices. They are not going to get in a hurry for you so look around and enjoy where you are. Cool mural of a shark on the wall across the street to check out too. Sorry for not having pictures but my camera is in the reef at the bottom of the ocean off the mainland. Sad day but lesson learned. Tip: Make first photo on your camera of you and the next contact info and maybe a reward. Money talks.

Date of visit: November 2016
1  Thank Davish L
Reviewed 25 April 2017

So many options. So many people from so many places; tourists, locals & expats. There is something on each menu for everyone. VERY inexpensive. A MUST!!

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank Annette6125
Reviewed 26 March 2017

These are 4 restaurants where the locals eat breakfast and lunch. Lunch is usually much less than $100 pesos ($5 us). We had number 4 food - they cooked a barracuda for us that we caught on a charter. Number 4 stall had wonderful food. Another day we tried lunch at Letty's number 3 (third stall) We got take out a couple of orders of tacos and mole chicken enchiladas (excellent) to take to Playa Norte beach. Stalls 1 and 2 were well attended too (maybe better attended but I think maybe because they were closer to the street) These places are across from Rubens one block east of Hidalgo. Letty's we also had a sit down lunch since number 4 was closed that day. You can't have better Mexican food on Isla than these places and the kicker is that it was inexpensive and locals enjoying the food.

Not fancy - just good and cheap and closes before dinner - unfortunately.

Date of visit: March 2017