All reviews juan carlos beach towels playa norte air conditioning and a fan junior suite rooms are spotlessly clean budget minded reception area a small kitchen area minute walk to the beach flat screen tv bedroom and bathroom location is great third floor coffee maker would stay here again hot water
Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

Super friendly family, who runs this little hotel.

The hotel is cheap, and locally placed in the town of Isla mujeres.

It is a bit old, but sort of charming in its own Mexican way. It's clean, and everything in the room is working just fine.
Breakfast very limited - we didn't use.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate J
Reviewed 12 December 2015

Spent two nights in this very well-located hotel. Near lots of restaurants and a grocery store and the beach. Refrigerator, micro, equipped kitchen. Spacious room. Very clean. Staff very helpful and friendly. Juan Carlos greeted us at our arrival and took very good care of us. Seems like the staff there anticipates your every need. Lovely 2nd floor lounge looks out onto the neighborhood. Stairs only, no elevator. Coffee in the morning. Has open atrium where noise from below carries, so it could be noisy. We were lucky as hotel was fairly vacant during the time we were there.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skeffie
Reviewed 4 December 2015 via mobile

The staff is warm and friendly, everything was clean and it's off the main area so it is quiet.

This was an inexpensive hotel and if you're not looking for luxury then this is the spot. Close to everything, but then again everything on this small island is close to everything ;)

My one complaint and it is repeated by many on these reviews, is the bed. It was very firm. For those that like firm you'll be fine, but after the first couple of nights I had to pile up beach pads and towels to make it tolerable.

We are already planning our next trip and WILL stay here, but we're going to pack something for the comfort of the bed.

All in all I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SpringtownJimmy
hotelxbuluha, Director General at Hotel Xbulu-Ha, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2015

Dear Guest,

I know that there are some beds in the hotel that the mattress are not OK. We do not forget this matter and we change some of them every year.

Reviewed 22 October 2015

My wife and I stayed at XBULU-HA for the second time for 10 days, Sep-Oct 2015. Again the staff was very pleasant, helpful and always smiling. Juan Carlos and his wife, as well as Gabriel, could not have been more accomodating. The one diwnside is that it is located about 2 football fields from the water, but then again, if it were closer it would not be as econimical.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 1700sumwer
Reviewed 3 October 2015

We were in room 2, upstairs. Two twin beds. Small but adequate. Amenities: Safe, good size shower with shower head mounted about 7 ft up (I really liked that because I hate ducking my head to take a shower!), nice high sink area, hair dryer (didn't use) flat screen tv (turned it on maybe once? The neighbors said there was English HBO. Didn't go to watch tv...) Free wi-fi. Slow, but worked fine. Great, quiet A/C. My son froze me to death one night... Nice Tommy Bahama beach chairs, beach towels on request,small plastic table outside room, another plastic table and two chairs on the balcony overlooking the street, foot wash area. Downstairs there is a community area by the check-in desk with a dining table for four and also a small cocktail table and a couple of chairs, microwave, coffee pot, dishes and sink. The community area is usually open around 7:00 or 7:30 and I'm an extreme morning person so I just walked around the block to the OXXO and got a decent cup for 14.5 pesos. (There's also a latte shop right next door if you like your "floofy" coffee!) Great staff. Juan Carlos lives there and answered any questions we had. He speaks pretty good English. Gabriel was also very helpful and prompt in responding to the reservation details. Max, a permanent resident downstairs was great to talk to, used to live in the U.S. The cleaning ladies were always smiling and very courteous! Location was great. About 100 yards East is the malecon and Caribbean (great for watching the sunrise) and about 4 blocks to the North is Playa Norte. Lots of great food close by. Would definitely stay here again. This was my second time to the island. Last time stayed at a more popular large hotel. For the price, this was better.... Side note: We went in late September, they were adding 3rd floor rooms the day we left. Said they were going to shut down for a month and then re-open.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are great! I think the more expensive rooms and suites have coffee makers in them.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family