“Just WOW!”

Javi's Cantina Restaurant Bar
Ranked #8 of 256 Restaurants in Isla Mujeres
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Description: Javi's Cantina Restaurant Bar is a small, intimate space with a relaxed atmosphere to enjoy, snacks, drinks, dinner and live music. Our full bar includes premium brands of alcohol and Superior Brand beers (Sol, Dos XX, etc) and Isla Brewing Artisan Beer. Our mission is to serve unforgettable food with a twist. Fresh and local... where flavor meets harmony. RESERVATIONS recommended. Walk ins welcome.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were told by our hotel concierge that we would likely need a reservation. We walked a few blocks here after dark and walked up to a great place. It was full but not slammed. The owner just happen to meet us at the door and invited us in to sit with her and eat at the bar. We had a salty dog and a great mojito. Stuffed mushrooms for the appetizer was great. I had the beef kabobs with vegetables and garlic mash potatoes that were on point. My fiance had the black grouper and it was delicious. We are looking at wedding venues and are here for 5 days to explore and lock in decisions. We will be back before we leave. Dont miss this place! I apologize for no pictures...the food wasn't available for photos for long.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had an absolutely amazing experience here. The Parmesan crusted grouper was literally the best fish I’ve ever had in my life. They caught it that same morning. They invited us to the back to check it out. Such a crazy experience! Some of the best flavors I’ve ever tasted. We also had the cilantro lime shrimp, seared tuna, and the pinapple margaritas - delicious!!! The owner of the restaurant is truly a gem. He came over and ended up chatting with us for a long time, including giving us a cooking lesson. He is a talented chef and musician. I highly recommend this as the best meal we’ve had on the Isla. It’s a must-do.

1  Thank Misti W
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We stopped here for dinner based on the positive reviews. The service was good and the place had a lively atmosphere and nice live music. The fresh fish - grouper - however was disappointing. It was fishy and tough. Marla came by to see how we liked our dinner and we shared our issues. She offered to have another piece of fish prepared for us but we didn't want to wait for potentially more of the same. The sides were really tasty but we sent most of the fish back and paid for the meal. They have lots of options for "mule" drinks with a homemade honey ginger syrup but I was surprised that there was no Mexican/tequila option so I made that suggestion to our waiter - that is my favorite!

FYI - they are closed on Sundays.

MarlaBMartinez, Owner at Javi's Cantina Restaurant Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for visiting our restaurant. We enjoyed meeting you and are glad you enjoyed the service, music and atmosphere. I was surprised that you didn't take the newly prepared fish, but not to worry, it didn't go to waste. I hope that the discount we offered on your bill was sufficient for the fish you sent back. Our extensive bar menu offers all of our signature drinks, including our Marlita Citraquila which is a Don Julio cocktail, Grilled Pineapple Margarita and our Margaritas Sunrise. We have a full bar of tequila as you know since you ordered a Tamarindo Margarita. Also, just to clarify, we are closed on Wednesdays, not Sundays. We are open everyday except Wednesday. We hope that you find some favorites on the island. There are so many great options here.

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

Everything from the food and service was stupendous. I had the tuna(cooked perfectly) with vegetables. And he had the featured grouper. All was absolutely delightful, service was on point and the entertainment was awesome. Would highly recommend!

1  Thank Piper T
Reviewed 3 October 2018

Javi's Cantina is well worth the stop. Great food, drinks and the best, live music from Javi himself. The service is excellent and Javi and Marla are there to welcome you. It's a must stop while on the island, I know we stopped a number of times during the week we were there. You won't be disappointed!

1  Thank ladydi68025