“My Little Paradise Island”
Review of Cozumel

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
The Woodlands
1 helpful vote
“My Little Paradise Island”
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We were in Cozumel from the 9th of July to the 16th of July, of this year. We stayed at Occidental Grand Cozumel and had a WONDERFUL time. Since it was just my sweetie and I, we rented a car from the airport on landing (an absolute MUST), and proceeded to set our own schedule and our own outings for the remainder of our visit. Cozumel is not a hard island to navigate, nor is it difficult to drive. It is hard to come by an automatic transmission car, so if you like to drive a standard (which we both do) you are in for a treat! Exploring the island and the miles of uninhabited beach on the East side of the island made the trip so VERY romantic. Coconuts Bar is the highlight of the day after sunning and playing on 'your' private beach with good food and GREAT drinks. So let your hair down, stay for a week (or two if you can), and experience Paradise at your own pace in Cozumel!!

1 Thank Maplebottom
Atlanta
6 helpful votes
“Construction zone”
Reviewed 8 July 2007

As of late April 2007 Cozumel was still in the midst of recovering from the massive storm damage they incurred by hurricane Wilma (late October 2005). No the island wasn’t washed away, but a short walk from the International Pier will show a LOT of construction and storm damage debris. Having visited this island several times in the past five years the destruction and now construction are a mixed blessing.

As any international traveler (being from the US myself) will tell you – the port towns the cruise industry thrust into prominence have had their share of growing pains. The wrapper of fine shopping and dining areas along the main streets often encased areas of abject poverty and poor living conditions. While I would hardly portray the damage and destruction as a positive event to the residents and survivors, Wilma has afforded Cozumel the opportunity to rebuild these tourist areas with a deeper integrated infrastructure for long term growth.

When my cruise ship came to port it was a little unsettling to see the main International Pier literally in pieces (100 feet of continuous pier… a 40 foot gap, 60 more feet of pier, et cetera). Construction equipment and crews were actively involved in a rebuilding of the complete (and presumably enhanced) pier area. Completion looked to be four to six months away for the basic concrete, plumbing and electrical. Full recovery – maybe a year or more.

On the positive side – the “down town” square near the ferry pier and the Punta Langosta pier faired the storm pretty well. Clearly there has been recovery from the storm surge of water that came on shore, but most of the basic structures appear to have survived and it is business as usual (for the most part).

A lot of folks visit this island to enjoy the beaches and the diving opportunities. The wide, gently sloping sandy beaches on the western side of the island appear to have lost a fair amount of that sand. On the plus side the beach restoration processes have done a lot to start returning some of that sand to the beach area. Just don’t expect a 90 foot wide sandy beach at high tide on a sunny day.

I’m sure as soon as I post this others will pop up and challenge different points I raise. Opinions are like body parts – every body has some. The comments offered above are mine, and until I return to Cozumel and see and experience something different – they represent what I saw and experienced. I hope over time that the island is able to recover, grow and prosper. It really is a great vacation stop with a lot to offer folks with a range of interests.

2 Thank Early_50s_Traveler
New York City
13 helpful votes
“sunsets”
Reviewed 12 June 2007

The best sunset I've yet to see....

Ocala, Florida
14 helpful votes
“Taxi Hint”
Reviewed 31 May 2007

Have been to Cozumel many times by cruise ship. On our last visit, as we have always done in the past, we took a taxi from the ship to the center of town to begin our shopping. We had shared the cab with another couple (strangers to us). When the cab stopped, I opened the rear driver's side door to exit, as the other couple were not moving to get out. Unfortunately, a woman riding on a moped with (3) children, slammed into the open door.

I would suggest asking the driver to let you out in a safe place or, at least, to pull over as close as possible to the curb. Sometimes this isn't easy, especially if the curb is so high that opening the passenger side door is impossible. Please, please, be alert in this crowded port. It wasn't fun starting our vacation in the local jail. We will be going to Cozumel again very soon and we will be more careful the next time. By the way, the local police couldn't have been nicer to us.

3 Thank Jokoangel
Miami Beach, Florida
52 helpful votes
“Quick review about this marvelous island”
Reviewed 22 May 2007

My time in Cozumel was short and sweet......i was only there for 8 hours....Mr. Pancho is excellent beach and you don't have to pay to enter the premises.....paradise beach was disappoint....Overall the island is expensive like food and drinks but the beaches are great!!!

1 Thank Omar_NYC

Been to Cozumel? Share your experiences!