“My BUENO”

Kaokao Factory Chocolate Tour
Ranked #20 of 279 Tours in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The visit of our small family chocolate factory consists of 3 parts: 1/History of chocolate at mayan times: An overview of importance of the cacao seed for Mayan Civilization, Discover the tools used by mayans to make the sacred beverage: "chocolhaa" (hot cocoa). In Air conditionned small museum room . 2/Craft your own chocolate Live the experience of grinding cacao beans with an authentic chocolate mexican mill to craft your drinking chocolate mix to take back home.In a different room. The grinding activity does not allowed the air conditioning. 3/ Tasting All along the tour you will try the different flavors of the cacao during its process (cacao beans, cacao paste and all our finished products) . You still will have time to shop at our air conditioned gift store. During the visit, from the grounds, you can discover the chocolate process through windows : chocolate making room and wrapping room. Accessible for wheel chairs in all areas.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Concord, New Hampshire
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“My BUENO”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Took two different days to find the chocolate factory...but it is worth it. Tasted all favors..orange choc my favorite...the three of us took five bars each home with us...wonderful woman who owns it takes pride in this one of a kind business ion the island..

• Korean first
salem ma
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great time”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I had emailed the factory that morning to see if we (10 of us) could come for a tour. I got a prompt reply and they were able to accomodate us that afternoon. Joshua gives a great presentation about chocolate! He is so personable and entertaining, and the kids even learned something! He takes you step by step through the process of turning cacao beans into chocolate, filling your senses with the sight and smell of each part of the process. I am so glad we went there - thank you Joshua! I highly recommend this for both children and adults.

1 Thank kellycSalemMa
Norman, Oklahoma
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“A treat in Cozumel!”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This was a different and fun tour. One of the owners gave our tour which included an interesting history of chocolate with explanation of various tools used. We tasted cocoa beans and then went to another small room to experience the process of grinding cocoa beans into something you can use to flavor drinks. It was fun to get to be involved and we all took home a small sample. The tour also included a small chocolate bar, but we stocked up for gifts to take home too. It took about an hour. Be sure to make a reservation and don't miss this tour!

2 Thank bjaindt
Cockeysville
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Fun”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This was a cute tour. Informative and pleasant. Chocolate was good. Learned and had fun. $10 each includes small container of great chocolate to add to warm drink, like coffee, and a chocolate bar.

NC
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Making chocolate”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

While on a Disney cruise, my 8 y/o granddaughter and I went to the Kaokao Chocolate Factory to learn to make chocolate. It was the most interesting part of our whole trip. There were 5 of us in the group tour and it was outstanding. The owner of the factory was our guide and he was the most excellent instructor I have encountered anywhere (and I have a PHD in education). He engaged out 5 senses throughout the demonstration. During the actual making of the chocolate, DGD ground the cocoa beans and we tasted at each stage of the making and had a sample to take with us. It is a small, intimate setting and I recommend it for people of all ages.

Visited March 2012