New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Temazcal Cenote Experience
Ranked #3 of 28 Spas & Wellness in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: X'kanha Not only a place but an encounter with oneself. X'kanha Not only an experience but an opening of the heart. X'kanha Not only an adventure but a journey into the soul. Each of our practices has been thought and created to guide YOU towards these three purposes. All of them are taken from ancestral traditions, mostly from Mexico, but we also study, practice and offer wellness techniques from different parts of the world. We invite you to surround yourself with the beauty of nature and let your soul be pampered by reconnecting and bonding into one with mother earth.
Anderson, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great way to release old baggage”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We went to Cozumel for our Honeymoon and to scuba dive for the first time in the ocean. I knew I was going to need a Spiritual balance with my Holiday and the Mayan Steam Lodge was the Number 1 attraction on Tripadvisor for Cozumel. Petrus picked us up in town and treated us to an amazing day of relaxation, spiritual retreat and a much needed release of past baggage! The day begins with a relaxing hammock ride, a smudging of negative energy and then into the sweat lodge. It is pitch black dark and so I felt alone in there with myself and the guidance of Petrus. Petrus showed us the tradition of the Mayan sweat lodge and then we plunged into a cenote near the sweat lodge. It was safe and spiritual and wonderful. It was a long day that I enjoyed, but a little long for my honey. He did it for me. I would recommend this for the very spiritual and those that aren't afraid of 140 degree heat in the pitch black darkness. There is a lot of chanting, drumming, teaching and not a lot of solitude. There were about 10 people in our group which was fine for me, but my honey would have liked a much smaller group.

1 Thank Lori S

Silver Spring, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An Unexpectedly Profound Spiritual Journey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Last month my husband and I participated in the Mayan Steam Lodge led by Petrus in Cozumel. We've participated in similar rituals in the United States, but did not know if the lodge offered in Cozumel would also be held as a sacred journey for all participating.

It was.

Petrus spent ample time orienting us and the other couple who'd reserved space in the lodge that day--providing a thorough background of the Mayan lodge tradition and giving us a context for each of the elements used during this ritual, which lasted several hours.

I experienced Petrus' leadership as gentle, sometimes playful, considerate, respectful, and even reverent. He developed connections with each of us, taking particular care to create numerous options for those expressing confusion or discomfort about participating in what was their first experience of a lodge.

I recommend that you do a little research about steam lodges before reserving space in one...this is not a "tourist attraction" in which you are passively entertained. Instead, it is a meaningful participatory activity in which you explore your life's choices through metaphor and your senses, assisted by Petrus' use of meditations and other traditional lodge practices.

Though I'm tempted to detail these as a way to express my gratitude, I believe participating in this lodge will be a more powerful experience for you if you enter it with an open mind and no expectations--neither anticipating nor resisting the opportunities you will be given to take what can be a profound spiritual journey. It was for me.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank PeacefulCountry
Cedar Falls, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An "off-the-beaten-path" Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Found this experience on Trip Advisor, and I was rewarded with a true-to-review experience once again. The steam bath is as all the other reviews describe - a truly unique, cleansing, authentic, personal, and spiritual experience. It is not for everyone - if you have any ounce of claustrophobia, you'll probably struggle with it. But if you're okay with dark, enclosed spaces, and you have a sense of adventure, appreciate a bit of history and are willing to go with an open mind, you won't regret it. Thank you, Petrus, for a very memorable and enjoyable afternoon!

Mont Vernon, New Hampshire
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Interesting and rewarding, but not for everyone..."”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Petrus, the owner, is friendly, and professional.
He follows through with email requests in a timely manner.
Transportation was reliable and steam lodge was a short drive from town.
Tour was interesting, educational, and taught us a great deal about the Maya culture.
Petrus's assistant worked hard to maintain the fire, provide the hot coals and keep the area safe.
Steam lodge was clean, relaxing and spiritually enriching.
Bathroom/changing facilities were available, with a cabinet to lock up valuables.
Water was provided.
Petrus is supporting green environmentally friendly habits with a passion!
The swimming hole was a bit of a surprise as the water was an amber brown, not very enticing, but most people enjoyed their swim.
On the flip side:
Steam bath reached 140 degrees and was too hot for me to take, and I had to quit the program early. Though I had communicated ahead of time, asking if it was a sauna or steam bath, (and I was assured it was a steam bath), to me it felt a lot more like a sauna bath, as it was too hot for me to breath. Petrus did assure us we could leave at any time if we were in any way uncomfortable.

The price for the experience was a bit too high.

Bathrooms sinks and stall doors need updating.

Visited March 2012
PetrusTemazcalero, Gerente at Temazcal Cenote Experience, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Thank you very much for such a great and detailed review. As you well mention, this is not for everybody. As some others say, we are like an off the beaten path experience. This is a very personal experience, we really dont do anything but being a small guidance for all the participants. The experience itself relies in whatever we all bring within ourselves.

Our cenote (natural sink hole freshwater) is all natural, the water is tinted amber by the leaves and seeds from some trees around but it is fresh, clean and actually clear, looks dark because the bottom is quite deep.

The sweat bath we run is an ancient steam room, very similar to the turkish bath, it is not a sauna as the sauna is very dry. We are wet all the time because steam is produced. The temperature inside may reach up to 140 degrees indeed but it is slowly increased, not that hot since the very beginning. Besides, laying down feels less hot and the air is way much more fresh to breath.

You found the cost a bit too high, we respect your opinion, of course. Some others have motioned it is affordable and worth to be paid after what they have received. On board the cruise ships the cost was 25% more expensive.

Thank you very much for your observations about our repair works yet to be done, we are working on those and some others as well.
Cary, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Authentic experience...highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

This was one of the highlights of a cruise I took back in November. It was relaxing, educational and authentic. We first met Petrus at a gas station across from the cruise terminal. Instantly you could tell he was a great guy. Shortly thereafter we were nestled in the woods in complete privacy learning about the Mayans. A few hours later Petrus dropped us off in Cozumel, refreshed and rejuvenated. I don't want to give away any details of what happened during the steam lodge, since it's something you'll want to experience first hand. But I will say that if you're looking for a unique, personal experience, don't miss the Mayan Steam Lodge!

Visited November 2011